Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW SANCTIONING BODY FOR PRO WRESTLING ESTABLISHED

October 21, 2013 (Los Angeles, CA) – Today, David Marquez of Championship Wrestling from Hollywood announced that he and eight (8) established pro wrestling promotions have come together to form "United Wrestling Network".

The existing local companies that will make up "United" are; West Coast Wrestling Connection (Oregon), Ultra Championship Wresting (Utah), Future Stars of Wrestling (Nevada), Championship Wrestling from Arizona, Traditional Championship Wrestling (Arkansas), Metro Pro Wrestling (Kansas), River City Wrestling (Texas), New York Wrestling Connection (New York) and New England Championship Wrestling (Massachusetts).

"This collection of Promoters is excited to build a new sanctioning body for pro wrestling. Our goal is to work within our local areas to create new talent, recognize a common "United" Champion and plus our broadcasts. Although the idea of a sanctioning body isn't new, "United" is being executed with fresh eyes especially for the digital age. I know this is going to take time to launch and educate the public, but I'm positive the outcome will achieve our goals," states Marquez.

The criteria for participating are simple. There is no "Membership", "Franchise" or "Affiliate" fees. All sanctioned promotions must have a television broadcast or agree to terms to produce a broadcast to participate.

"UCW, CWFH, FSW, NECW, METRO and TCW all have existing broadcasts, so they will be included in the launch before the end of the year and the rest will launch in 2014 as we help them secure a television outlet in their area," continued Marquez.

For more information on United Wrestling Network, please visit www.unitedwrestlingtv.com and follow us on Twitter @UnitedWNetwork. If you are an established promotion and are interested in becoming a participant in the sanction, please enquire at [email protected].
This could become interesting.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I was actually thinking of a Pro Wrestling Network on television and was wondering if there was enough interest in wrestling for there to be maybe a $5 a month subscription fee to watch 24/7 matches and news of indy wrestling. I know this has nothing to do with the article, but when I saw the title I was like "holy shit!!!! was just thinking of this yesterday"

I would honestly pay the premium for a network like that. Would love it more than the WWE network that is being thrown around.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Wait a minute. Where's the link?

You have any proof, because I was pretty sure my beloved metro Pro Wrestling was going out of business.

I'd love for this to be true but I need something solid before I get my bitchy little girl hopes up.

If it is true, props to USAUSA1 for being the first one on this story a few months back.

Could be cool. Hopefully it won't be like the NWA where they were all stabbing each other in the back.

I like the emphasis on a tv deal too. And I know NWA fans have been complaining about the website so.

Could mean more regular bookings around these regional promotions for a handful of guys.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
https://twitter.com/UnitedWNetwork

Sorry didn't see the link. Website looks like it could have been made by anyone but check out that twitter link...

It looks legit. Gonna check that interview real fast.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
Marquez admitted it himself. That's good for something, right?

Looks like it could be nifty.Promotions spread out throughout the country which is sweet. NWA is sorta stuck in only a few locations but UWN has promotions from East to West and North to South.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Marquez admitted it himself. That's good for something, right?

Looks like it could be nifty.Promotions spread out throughout the country which is sweet. NWA is sorta stuck in only a few locations but UWN has promotions from East to West and North to South.
Yeah, he's one of the twitter accounts that follow this thing. And that article comes from a pro wrestling site that actually exists. I would like to withdraw my previous accusation of "shenanigans."

NWA actually has a large geographic area covered though. They got a presence everywhere and are especially strong in Texas and the South. And when I say South, I mean the WHOLE SOUTH.

I'm talking the Metropolitan paradise that is Atlanta, the beautiful Americana that is the mid atlantic, and the scary as hell deep south where squealing like a pig is a turn on.

It's just that, they don't have any organization. So I'm really excited about the prospect of this.

I just hope they don't bury (Not a word I like to use a lot because it's so over done.) but I hope they don't bury their heavyweight titles. They'll always mean more to me than any world title they come up with. Thought I am very excited for a "Unified Title."

I'm not MORE excited about anything than the possibility of Metro Pro coming back. Been to their website, nothing.... really out of date.

I love metro pro and would shit rainbows if it turned out that promotion was okay.

·
2,097 Posts
Well yeah, Marquez is the one who made the union :p

While NWA DOES indeed cover a good span of land where most of these promotions have their own distinct identities based in their areas. I feel outside of NWA Texas, NWA Smoky Mountain, and NWA SAW. Metro Pro, TCW, NYWC, and CWFH are all notable before coming into this group. Coming into this could only help thee promotions break down barriers and expand deeper into their region. I remember when talking about the NWA I wished that it was easier to access shows from the promotions.

Each promotion having to have a a TV show is a good basis for this sanctioning body. Seems like it is a lead in to something even bigger. Like the idea of Unified Champions. Interested to see which promotions join this group down the line.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Well yeah, Marquez is the one who made the union :p
I'm saying, that's the proof.

Yeah, you wanna be exclusive, you don't want just anyone joining, and having a tv show is a great way to prove yourself.

Edit: Arizona, River, and New York don't have a tv deal.

West Coast Wrestling Connection does but no online presence. And hey! What's Jeremy Blanchard doing getting managed by the Grappler!? He wouldn't do that! The Grappler's evil!

Wait till Bubba finds out about this ...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
They said that AND they said they were going to get those promotions on local networks.
I said it again. :D

Just saying that it's a good cut off point. But wanted to also state in the edit that I was aware those promotions weren't there yet.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
I think this is good. Marquez was running the top NWA Promotion and TCW is a promotion the NWA fans desperately wanted in. Metro I've heard good things about and I'm sure the rest are decent.

Colt Cabana for Champion!

·
Is a Snit Head
22,166 Posts
I think this is good. Marquez was running the top NWA Promotion and TCW is a promotion the NWA fans desperately wanted in. Metro I've heard good things about and I'm sure the rest are decent.

I think that's pretty much a given.

A lot of the promotions I think were involved with the NWA before new management took over. I think at least 4 of those companies hosted some of the 7 Levels of Hate matches.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Dear God, no. I like Colt, but he should never be a World Champion. The fact that he's already a two-time World Champion is embarrassing.

They need to make the effort to ensure that their champion is always credible. That means no Colt, no Adam Pearce, no random ROH guys, no second-tier luchadors. Either hang it on a reasonably young ex-WWE guy (Rhino or Ted DiBiase Jr would be my choices), look to the better Japanese free agents or just anybody but the usual suspects.

The World Champion should always have a name recognizable to the casual fan, though. That's how you keep the belt credible.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This is awesome. A couple of these promotions already have local tv so thats good. Trying to get a show on syndication would be good, highlighting all the action from around the companies involved would help. Add an internet show and BAM your looking sweet.

I think Ted Dibiase JR would be a perfect champ. Hes got the old school look and is actually a decent heel when given a shot.

·
2,097 Posts
Dear God, no. I like Colt, but he should never be a World Champion. The fact that he's already a two-time World Champion is embarrassing.

They need to make the effort to ensure that their champion is always credible. That means no Colt, no Adam Pearce, no random ROH guys, no second-tier luchadors. Either hang it on a reasonably young ex-WWE guy (Rhino or Ted DiBiase Jr would be my choices), look to the better Japanese free agents or just anybody but the usual suspects.

The World Champion should always have a name recognizable to the casual fan, though. That's how you keep the belt credible.
Couldn't disagree more in this case. Not every title needs to be treated in such a way. I think it is better for the NWA to go with this approach but as far as UNW and how they decide to go about it I feel Cabana or Pearce may be the perfect champion for this group. Both are independent wrestling journeymen who embody the independent wrestling mentality. Colt is one of the single most popular wrestlers in America not under WWE contract. If the UWN decides to go for a more "name" champion that is fine too but I feel saying it NEEDS to be from the get go is a very abrupt statement. PLUS these are two guys Marquez likes and trusts to my knowledge which in the long run that last bit is probably the most important.

Speaking of Japanese wrestlers and luchadores(terrible segway ahead), I wonder if/when this new group will make some international buddies. I know it is wicked early but with this essentially playing direct opposition with the NWA I wonder if they'll try and create some international relationships to help better than image against the competitor.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Yeah Cabana is definitely a guy Marquez trusts. Pearce as well.

I do agree with Shark about putting the belt on a "name" but it has to be a good name. Rob Conway is NWA World Heavyweight Champion currently and he hasn't done a lot for their brand.

The reason I think they should go with Cabana is he's a talented guy who is a character and can work a microphone. It's a shame he isn't in the big time actually (WWE)

·
2,097 Posts
You used the word "brand" which I think was a good choice. We don't know what UWN's BRAND will be. The champ should personify their aim as a group. Each promotion comes in with its own identity but their should be sort of a central idea that UWN instills.

And I don't know why I feel the need to defend Rob Conway but Christ whenever the NWA gets brought up he gets shafted to no idea. Where Cabana and Pearce are trusted guys for Marquez, Conway has been with the NWA for YEARS and is a trusted guy for Tharpe. And him going to NJPW has helped improve the image of the NWA internationally as well as him being a poster guy for that brand. He isn't blowing people away but he can do fun matches with a variety of opponents in Japan and then have good matches stateside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts