Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now seriously is this belt a joke or what?

Ive actually forgot who is US champion at the moment, any prestige this belt ever had has gone, should they just unify the IC belt and US belt? they doesnt seem enough good midcarders, seems to be more jobbers than anything else

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
It is a joke when Santino of all people is holding it. End of.

Anyway, they should probably just merge the titles at this point. The mid-card division is non-existant in the WWE these days, and with superstars appearing on both shows frequently, they could easily have one mid-card title that could be defended to both RAW and SmackDown superstars.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Blame those uber generic, personality drained bozos with their i-dont-even-know-who-he-is presence that have held the title in the past year or two.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
It is a joke when Santino of all people is holding it. End of.

Anyway, they should probably just merge the titles at this point. The mid-card division is non-existant in the WWE these days, and with superstars appearing on both shows frequently, they could easily have one mid-card title that could be defended to both RAW and SmackDown superstars.
It was more of a joke when Swagger had it considering he won it with absolutely zero momentum, had been buried for god knows how long and wasn't even over.

Santino, although a comedy character is over with the crowd, had built up good momentum prior to winning the Title (winning the Battle Royal, great showing in the Chamber) and he is actually defending it quite regularly. I see nothing wrong with Santino as midcard Champion.

Anyway, if it were up to me I'd probably scrap the US Title and just have the IC as sole midcard belt, it's clear WWE favor it over the WCW created US Title, just like they clearly favor their own WWE Title over the WCW created WHC.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i honestly don't even remember a good feud with the belt involved,the belt means absolutely nothing same with the tag team titles, just a joke really, need to get bigger names on them to make more relevant again maybe?

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
It was more of a joke when Swagger had it considering he won it with absolutely zero momentum, had been buried for god knows how long and wasn't even over.

Santino, although a comedy character is over with the crowd, had built up good momentum prior to winning the Title (winning the Battle Royal, great showing in the Chamber) and he is actually defending it quite regularly. I see nothing wrong with Santino as midcard Champion.

Anyway, if it were up to me I'd probably scrap the US Title and just have the IC as sole midcard belt, it's clear WWE favor it over the WCW created US Title, just like they clearly favor their own WWE Title over the WCW created WHC.
He's defended it like once so far in a triple threat match between Ziggler and Swagger (not counting his automatic rematch with Swagger).

Before that he lost to David Otunga two weeks in a row (once when he was teaming with Mark Henry), and lost at WrestleMania. He's a terrible champion.

Swagger was a terrible champion as well, but that's irrelevant considering I didn't even bring him up.

An example of a good U.S Champion was Ziggler, who held the title for 6 months and defended it regularly. He got regular promo time and would talk about what it meant to be U.S Champion. He really made the U.S Title look like it actually meant something. He would face top guys like Randy Orton as the U.S Champion and it made him and the title look credible. It means nothing in Santino's hands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i honestly don't even remember a good feud with the belt involved,the belt means absolutely nothing same with the tag team titles, just a joke really, need to get bigger names on them to make more relevant again maybe?
I find this a great shame. It would be awesome to have a regular, good tag team element that actually means something, with titles that mean something

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think it's a lack of a mid card, or the quality of characters...it's how the writers are handling it. It is used as filler material on an as needed basis, which explains why it disappears for a while then re-emerges. It seems like it is only defended when it's time for it to change hands.

If they would put it on someone, have him defend it to a couple of different opponents before he drops it, and have a lot of promo talk to build it up to make it feel like it is a desireable title, and finally have it serve as a "#1 condender" to the world champ at a PPV once or twice a year....that could spark some interest. The current writing staff isn't capable of that at this time. They are doing pretty good to have two long running major storylines with punk/jericho and cena/(b)rock at the same time.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
And right here is your reason why the title looks/feels so unimportant right now, its not b/c of whos holding it (b/c the current champ is very over with the crowd) No good storylines/fueds involving the US title, outside of Ziggler/Ryder things from late 2011, the past couple years. And right after that the WWE followed that up by making Ryder a 3rd wheel in a poorly booked Cena/Kane fued that led Ryder dropping the title to Swagger with no fued/storyline behind it and Swagger having absolutely NO momentum of any kind.

Honestly the last good fued I can really remember over the US title (outside of Ziggler/Ryder) was the MVP/Matt Hardy fued, how sad is that?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Santino could be a credible US Champ if they would let him make promos that aren't strictly comedy. He is extremely over and has a good gimmick. If they would let him be serious sometimes and make it amn important part of his gimmick it would help bring it back. Right now it seems to be used as a stepping stone to help get over mid carders (which it should be). The only issue is that they usually bury them after they lose the title and they never go anywhere(except for Ziggler) as of late.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Santino made the IC title look good once, so its definitely not the his fault. Its because writers dont even acknowledge the US champion. Right now they should be building him up in a singles feud for the US title, but they put him in a tag team with Brodus Clay instead.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have to ask, why did they take the belt from Ryder just to give it to another comedy character?

Ziggler brought some credibility to the belt and him and Ryder created a good feud over the title. Ryder winning made the title look fairly credible.

But they had to put Cena over right?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It's just an accessory to say "look at this guy" for a reason or another, it is used mostly to give some sort of momentum to someone without proper storylines/feuds that you want to "save" for something later.
From time to time it is given randomly to someone just to "keep it" for someone else, example: Swagger's reign.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
It was heading in the right direction.
Ziggler was a solid champ.
Ryder could have been a great mid card champion, even swagger if he has an actual storyline.

but NO lets give it to Santino.....What a joke.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Santino might be over, but that doesn't change the fact that he sucks!!!

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
Few people care about the mid carders now, which is where the belt is stuck. The best way to return credibility to these Titles is for the feuds to involve upper carders.

Similar to The Rock vs. Steve Austin - IC Title feud in 1997. Austin was four months away from winning the WWF Title and was just getting bigger and bigger at the time, while Rock was working his way up as well. We need something like this, because the Title going from Ryder to Swagger to Santino is just not interesting at all.

·
Haters gonna hate
118 Posts
The Ryder v Ziggler fued over the US title was good to watch and made the title credible, I like Santino, but he shouldn't be holding the US title IMO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts