Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they always planned? I know the Hart Austin double turn was and Vince planned it so Hart would stay face in Canada but what about:

Rock at Breakdown 1998. Was the plan to turn him face by late 98 or were they surprised by the cheers?

Hogan at Wrestlemania 18

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
There was no way Orton's face turn in the beginning of 2010 was on purpose. They were clearly setting up DiBiase to be the babyface but Orton was getting face pops, so when Legacy imploded, the crowd supported Orton. I even remember making a thread on this very forum probably in January 2010 pointing out that they were going to accidentally turn Orton face, which of course was met with many responses of "Orton isn't turning face, you fucking retard." (Yes, I remember times I was right on the internet 2 years ago. So?)

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
There was no way Orton's face turn in the beginning of 2010 was on purpose. They were clearly setting up DiBiase to be the babyface but Orton was getting face pops, so when Legacy imploded, the crowd supported Orton. I even remember making a thread on this very forum probably in January 2010 pointing out that they were going to accidentally turn Orton face, which of course was met with many responses of "Orton isn't turning face, you fucking retard." (Yes, I remember times I was right on the internet 2 years ago. So?)
I was gonna say this, Orton was playing the role of a domineering asshole boss that used Rhodes and Dibiase like puppets for his own needs and Dibiase and Rhodes were supposed to get their revenge on Orton for him turning on them. However Orton was just so good that the crowd supported him instead lol. I also think RVD was the only alliance member with a babyface character and again thats because he was so popular and WWE had to do what they could to keep him on the heel side so they teased a face turn until the angle was done.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Are they always planned? I know the Hart Austin double turn was and Vince planned it so Hart would stay face in Canada but what about:

Rock at Breakdown 1998. Was the plan to turn him face by late 98 or were they surprised by the cheers?

Hogan at Wrestlemania 18
surly his heel to face turn was unintentional in 98

ddp 99 and hogan 99
bret hart after his brothers death.

batista 05 considering no one knew the wm main event 3 months out.

·
Premium Member
15,557 Posts
Hogan turning face and Flair turning heel at Uncensored 1999. I don't even know how that happened, considering he just defeated Bischoff, a Hogan ally, to become president of WCW and had his son turn on him a month prior in a match with Hogan.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The most recent I would say is Christian, He was playing a heel before he got injured and on the 2 times he made brief appearances since, But even when he sided with Johnny he still got a massive cheer, So Christian couldn't go over as a heel and abruptly was changed to a Face again when he finally returned (Clearly not planned)

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,781 Posts
The most recent I would say is Christian, He was playing a heel before he got injured and on the 2 times he made brief appearances since, But even when he sided with Johnny he still got a massive cheer, So Christian couldn't go over as a heel and abruptly was changed to a Face again when he finally returned (Clearly not planned)
Was gonna say this. Really odd one that happened.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I was going to say about this. When I was watching it I got the impression that he was supposed to be heel at the start of the night and changed him based on the crowd reaction. They'll need someone to fill Big Shows spot as a midcard face so its all good.

I don't think Zach Ryder had a proper turn, although it could have happened on Superstars when noone was watching

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
17,406 Posts
Christian from this year, he was supposed to be a heel, he went to support Ace, but months later when he won the IC Title, got the cheers from the fans. The fans certainly turned him face.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Eddie Guerrero threw his then tag partner Tajiri through the windscreen of his lowrider to dissolve their team. He came out the next week on Smackdown and the crowd refused to stop chanting his name, so the heel turn got abandoned.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Was Rock/Lesnar intentional in 2002? Fans went with 'Rocky Sucks' and 'Lets go Lesnar'

I don't know if injuries leading to face turns are intentional as the injury isn't. But arguably the heel of 99-01 in HHH comes back to one of the biggest pops of all time in MSG.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,830 Posts
It's ridiculous to think it's ever unintentional. Most face/heel turns are "dictated" by fan reactions. But they get booked into a fued or position do it's, arguably, ALWAYS intentional.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts