Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think they should have an undisputed world champ again? I kind of miss it and it might be a nice change of pace. Not a permanent thing or anything but maybe once or twice a year have someone challenge the two big champs.

If Randy was World Champ and Cena was WWE Champ whomever beat both of them in one night could be huge.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
think about it this way, there are over 70 people on the roster, most with lots of talent

between, taker, jericho, hunter, cena, orton,edge, sheamus

nobody else will get it

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
no... then NO new stars could EVER reach the belt
Of course they could, you're falling into the same trap that WWE have fallen into over the past few years. All you need to do is apply a little logic to the booking.

A world title feud should NEVER be more than 2 straight matches, that is, a title change and one rematch. After that a new challenger should step up and the one the guys involved in the previous one should have to earn another chance. This allows personal feuds to properly develop rather than end before they really get started.

Let's take a recent example, Edge vs Jericho. Edge, after injuring his achilles had to sit on the sidelines watching Jericho every week, rubbing it in his face. He fights to get back ahead of schedule and manages to win the Rumble which, with Jericho taking the title at EC, guarentees him an opportunity at revenge as well as reward for his efforts at rehab. After all of that he fails to win the belt; with no rematches allowed in this situation he has to start all over again to earn another chance, unless of course Jericho loses the belt to someone else. This not only allows the feud to simmer until it reaches boiling point but also gives Jericho even more motivation to keep the belt, it's his insurance policy against having to face Edge, at least in the short term. Finally, after 6 long months of trying, Edge earns another shot at Jericho but this time he gets screwed by the heel who he beat to earn that chance, initiating yet another feud. It isn't until the next EC that Edge gets his next chance and wins the title; in that match Jericho is eliminated before Edge is released from his pod meaning he doesn't get his hands on him.

This sets up another match at Wrestlemania, presumably a triple threat since the new Rumble winner also has a claim. Regardless of the winner, Jericho is the one who takes the fall; I'd say the Rumble winner since that sets up a non-title grudge match at the next PPV.

The whole time that Edge is targeting Jericho, He has to face a succession of challengers. The same rules apply to these challengers, one shot and if they lose they have to start again which means they have to keep finding new ones. Other changes would be made, for example, I would make MITB more like KOTR with qualifying matches on the show itself. These would take the form of triple threats with 2 people going through, the guy who gets the pinfall and the guy not involved in the decision (this allows a number of possible stories to be told in those matches btw, enemies uniting, tag-team partners facing off, etc)

As you can see, there are lots of things that can be, all it takes is a little thought.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
I just don't get it. Why wouldn't alot of people here like this? It would prevent Smackdown from pushing "terrible" guys like Swagger and Kane.

I think it'd be a nice change of pace. It worked in 2002, why not now?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes 1 company having 2 world champions is a joke in itself, john cena 9 time world champion edge 9 time world champion, randys getting near 9 batista had 7 odd all has happened in the past 4 or 5 years? sure less guys may get a chance at the belt it sure would make the world title credible, right now their a pile of piss.

Having 2 world titles has allowed the same superstars to be based around the title, raw 2007-2009 hhh cena orton, smackdown 07-09 was edge undertaker batista. So theirs no proof 2 world titles is any better then 1. If anything we would get a stronger ppv card, 1 world title match 2 or 3 non title ppv feuds.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Y wud u want dat man?

·
Registered
601 Posts
no... then NO new stars could EVER reach the belt
And... what's your point? Not everyone is cut out to be World Champion. Not everyone can be the face of the company.

There was once a time when feuds were written, and guys could get over without a title stipulation. Only the best of the best... of the best... were considered for the World Championship. It wasn't just given to anyone who got a pop. It was given to the Hogan's, the Warrior's, the Savage's. It was given to the top, top guys who were big enough and over enough to be the face of the company. When it changed hands, it wasn't just business as usual. It shook the foundation of the show.

Now you have a World Title attached to mid card feuds. It's embarrassing. Yes, they absolutely need to unify the brands and keep things limited to a single World Champion.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
And... what's your point? Not everyone is cut out to be World Champion. Not everyone can be the face of the company.

There was once a time when feuds were written, and guys could get over without a title stipulation. Only the best of the best... of the best... were considered for the World Championship. It wasn't just given to anyone who got a pop. It was given to the Hogan's, the Warrior's, the Savage's. It was given to the top, top guys who were big enough and over enough to be the face of the company. When it changed hands, it wasn't just business as usual. It shook the foundation of the show.

Now you have a World Title attached to mid card feuds. It's embarrassing. Yes, they absolutely need to unify the brands and keep things limited to a single World Champion.
Agreed. But you kind of don't have so many guys of that quality in today's WWE

·
Registered
476 Posts
Of course they could, you're falling into the same trap that WWE have fallen into over the past few years. All you need to do is apply a little logic to the booking.

A world title feud should NEVER be more than 2 straight matches, that is, a title change and one rematch. After that a new challenger should step up and the one the guys involved in the previous one should have to earn another chance. This allows personal feuds to properly develop rather than end before they really get started.

Let's take a recent example, Edge vs Jericho. Edge, after injuring his achilles had to sit on the sidelines watching Jericho every week, rubbing it in his face. He fights to get back ahead of schedule and manages to win the Rumble which, with Jericho taking the title at EC, guarentees him an opportunity at revenge as well as reward for his efforts at rehab. After all of that he fails to win the belt; with no rematches allowed in this situation he has to start all over again to earn another chance, unless of course Jericho loses the belt to someone else. This not only allows the feud to simmer until it reaches boiling point but also gives Jericho even more motivation to keep the belt, it's his insurance policy against having to face Edge, at least in the short term. Finally, after 6 long months of trying, Edge earns another shot at Jericho but this time he gets screwed by the heel who he beat to earn that chance, initiating yet another feud. It isn't until the next EC that Edge gets his next chance and wins the title; in that match Jericho is eliminated before Edge is released from his pod meaning he doesn't get his hands on him.

This sets up another match at Wrestlemania, presumably a triple threat since the new Rumble winner also has a claim. Regardless of the winner, Jericho is the one who takes the fall; I'd say the Rumble winner since that sets up a non-title grudge match at the next PPV.

The whole time that Edge is targeting Jericho, He has to face a succession of challengers. The same rules apply to these challengers, one shot and if they lose they have to start again which means they have to keep finding new ones. Other changes would be made, for example, I would make MITB more like KOTR with qualifying matches on the show itself. These would take the form of triple threats with 2 people going through, the guy who gets the pinfall and the guy not involved in the decision (this allows a number of possible stories to be told in those matches btw, enemies uniting, tag-team partners facing off, etc)

As you can see, there are lots of things that can be, all it takes is a little thought.
This. It would be so much better if WWE and TNa started using logic and doing something like this so we wouldn't always have to see the same 3 people in the main event.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The couldn't push someone new to beat two credible champs?
Very few if any. Think about it this way, can you name 10 different wrestlers during the Attitude Era that were World Champion? I don't think so. The problem with WWE, and it's been so since the days of Hogan, is backstage politics. Once certain wrestlers get to the main event they won't let anyone else in if they can help it. No, going back to one World Title would only make it impossible for wrestlers like Morrison, Miz, and Kingston to win the World Title once, let alone twice.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would actually appreciate a Unified Champion, but only if there would be one Brand, who cares about a Brand with no World Champion, or the World Champ would have to pull double duty and even then it wouldn't work, all PPV's now are together and it wouldn't work, but if there ever will be a next Undistuped Champion, it should be Cena and no other.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Very few if any. Think about it this way, can you name 10 different wrestlers during the Attitude Era that were World Champion? I don't think so. The problem with WWE, and it's been so since the days of Hogan, is backstage politics. Once certain wrestlers get to the main event they won't let anyone else in if they can help it. No, going back to one World Title would only make it impossible for wrestlers like Morrison, Miz, and Kingston to win the World Title once, let alone twice.
And what? That would make the status of 'world champion' not remembering Sheamus or Swagger

·
Registered
296 Posts
The couldn't push someone new to beat two credible champs?

You're not understanding this. You think it's about talent. WWE isn't a wrestling promotion anymore. It's about politics and who sucks-up more in the back and stabs people in the back. It has become this way. Tell me this, do you think Christian would have a chance at being World Champion if this happens? Do you think CM Punk would ever get back in the main event? Do you think people like Morrison, Miz, or Kingston would have a shot at being a constant main-eventer? If you think yes then you have been drinking the WWE kool-aid.

Then you get people here who say that some people don't deserve the World Title? Let's turn the clock shall we. Roddy Piper, Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Owen Hart, and so on were victims of backstage politics. People say people like Warrior or Hogan drew more but what you naive people don't understand is WRESTLING IS SCRIPTED!!!! Vince choose who he wants to push, or what gimmick he wants to give them. It has nothing to do about talent, if it did Triple H would have only won the World Title five times.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
I think WWE might just be slowly gearing towards having one champion. I've always been against the idea but recently it's hit me that the rosters simply aren't strong enough to have to separate champions. The brand split was created because of an overflow of talent but in recent years many a stars have left WWE which has left them short handed and with repetitive main event scenes on both shows with nothing seemingly fresh happening ever. Obviously that's changed in the past year with Sheamus getting pushed to the moon and Nexus forming, but still, there isn't enough talent in my opinion.

·
Unlucky! Better luck next time!
416 Posts
Yes! I'd mark. But I'd want the brands fused and I could see it maybe happening in the next year or 2. Maybe do it 3 months before WrestleMania 29, Cena is WWE champion, Undertaker is WHC. They have to fight it out at WrestleMania. 20-0 streak and Unified Championship and career all in one night for Undertaker.

Of course that's just my fantasy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You're not understanding this. You think it's about talent. WWE isn't a wrestling promotion anymore. It's about politics and who sucks-up more in the back and stabs people in the back. It has become this way. Tell me this, do you think Christian would have a chance at being World Champion if this happens? Do you think CM Punk would ever get back in the main event? Do you think people like Morrison, Miz, or Kingston would have a shot at being a constant main-eventer? If you think yes then you have been drinking the WWE kool-aid.
No, I don't think they would sniff the World Title... and rightfully so. Maybe, maybe CM Punk. He's a very entertaining personality. The only thing he has going against him is his build. That's an entirely different argument though for another day.

Newsflash, these guys aren't even in the main event now. Smackdown is the B show, features the B talent, and features the B title. The World Title match between Edge and Jericho at Wrestlemania was a mid card bout between two upper mid carders. They're NOT main eventers because - you guessed it - they're never in the main event. The main event is reserved for the top, top guys. Those are the guys that people pay to see. Those are the guys who should be competing for the World Championship.

Then you get people here who say that some people don't deserve the World Title? Let's turn the clock shall we. Roddy Piper, Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Owen Hart, and so on were victims of backstage politics. People say people like Warrior or Hogan drew more but what you naive people don't understand is WRESTLING IS SCRIPTED!!!! Vince choose who he wants to push, or what gimmick he wants to give them. It has nothing to do about talent, if it did Triple H would have only won the World Title five times.
Vince didn't choose Warrior, the fans did. He was over. Not over as in the fans cheered for him, over as in the fans roared for him. There's a reason he was picked over the other guys, and I promise you it has nothing to do with backstage politics. You want to know who has the most power? The fans. Hogan admitted himself that he tried to convince Vince not to hand Warrior the title. Did that stop him? No, it was necessary or business. You give the fans what they want.

Someone here, I forgot who, once made a really good point. He said you know you're World Champion material when the company can't afford to lose you. Piper used to come and go for months at a time, and business was just fine. But in 1990, the WWF absolutely could NOT afford to lose Warrior. He was the most popular guy on the roster next to Hogan.

I think with the right booking, Perfect could have been a fantastic heel champion. Unfortunately, he existed in a time where heels were nothing more than transitional champs for the mega faces to overcome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts