Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I just stuck it in here.

I'm probably not the only one who was looking forward to what could have been a potentially amazing Undertaker/HHH feud for Wrestlemania. They did have a PERFECT storyline set up which would have been compelling, entertaining and dramatic. Triple H should have came back and wanted a match with Undertaker as revenge for him retiring HBK the year previously. That's an actual storyline, it would have been emotionally driven and would have made Triple H's character very, very interesting for that period of time. Add HBK to the equation and it would have been even better.

But they went in such a retarded direction. They are now both feuding over who's the best last old guy in the WWE basically. It has no emotion to it, it has not specific storyline and they've managed to make the feud I was most interested in...bore me compleetely. I don't understand how they have managed it to be honest. I just don't care about it. Last year as soon as HBK/Undertaker finished I predicted this match for WM27 for the sole purpose that they had a set up storyline hidden in the wings that they could capitalise on. It just hasn't happened.

Another one of my issues is that neither guy can seem to be bothered to show up to the television shows every week. Shawn Michaels has been a bigger part of this feud, andh e's just been doing bloody video promos every week. It's somehow like they figure they are both big enough stars that they don't even need to bother trying to get people to want to see the match. They just have to show up and people will care, it's lazy. They've managed to completely waste what could have been an epic storyline and Wrestlemania match.

Before the build, I automatically said that they should go on last because it would be the best feud, with the biggest stars and the crowd would be completely into it. I take that back, I don't want this in the main event. Miz/Cena should be in that spot. *sigh* Rant over. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TripleG

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
I agree with everything you say, it comes solely down to laziness from the writers, which is unbelievable in Wrestlemania season.

The storyline writes itself too, which is the worst part about it. The Undertaker retired Triple H's best friend, Hunter wants revenge. Last time the two faced off at Wrestlemania, Triple H lost. With all this in mind, Haitch starts to doubt himself, leading to him introducing his trusty sledgehammer - the match becomes a no holds barred. He doesn't have to turn heel, a tweenerish role would still work.

The Undertaker mean while is 18-0, defending the streak. Last time he was seen, his brother Kane beat him three consecutive times and buried him alive. This leads to doubts as to whether he is still the dominant force he once was, and The Last Outlaw must prove he has still got it in him.

Why is that so hard? There you have an emotional filled storyline, where both men have great motives to destroy the other, leading to a great Mania match. Instead Michael Cole gets more build up in his feud, and to be honest should be on after this lackluster feud. It wouldn't surprise me that much if they open with this match, because the build up deserves it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Compared to the build-up that both HBK/Undertaker matches got, this confrontation is indeed kind of lame. The first time they met, it was okay just to have a plain and simple stare-down. But all promos were more or less the same since. They need to do anything they can to make it better. Three SmackDown and two Raw episodes to go!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The build is very strange. Two RAW's in a row now neither HHH or Undertaker have shown up. This is supposed to be the big match and they aren't even building it.

The primary build for the match is coming from Shawn Michaels video promo's. Weird.

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Keeping them apart isn't a bad idea, but like I've said before, this whole thing feels kind of hollow. Its like "Hey! We have this match! Go buy it!" but they haven't really done anything to really make me want to see it. I had the same criticism of Hogan/Rock, but AT LEAST they had Hogan injure Rock and put him on the shelf for a few weeks.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
I agree with the OP completely.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep. This entire feud seems thrown together at the last minute just to get two of the biggest names on the card. Last year the seeds were planted before the Royal Rumble for HBK vs. Undertaker II. Here we are 2 weeks until WM, and there's been zero physical interaction, just several generic promos. I don't feel nearly as excited to see this match in person as last year's main event.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's as if WWE has just thrown in the towel regarding this Wrestlemania. It's like they realised too late that there is no build to so many matches, so they just decided 'fuck it'

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
They have pretty much botched the build completely. It'll still do fine because it's an Undertaker Mania match and you could book that shit on cruise control, but there should be way more hype for it at this point. Their first mistake was, as the OP said, not bringing the HHH/HBK friendship into this. Why they went against this I have no idea, but it would've added a personal element that this feud is lacking. The second mistake they made is not brining up HHH/Taker from WM 17. Now, I understand why they did this, but it's still wrong. Which has more emotional impact; HHH acknowledging that he was beaten by the Undertaker at WM 17, but who wants one more shot at the one thing that he wasn't able to accomplish throughout his career (which, he should also acknowledge, will not last much longer), or just another guy (albeit a legend) facing Taker at WM for the first time? For me, the former has much more emotion involved, and feels much more "real"

They should be building HHH as a man facing his own mortality, who knows his career will be over soon, and who wants to accomplish the impossible for both himself and his best friend. Instead they are building him as a "badass" who is a threat to Undertaker's streak. Yawn.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Man I feel like fans have been brainwashed. You think every "feud" should be one guy beating up the other and vice versa til the pay per view. This isn't a traditional feud because there's no animosity between the two its a challenge a test of wills so to speak. The same reason the Rock stays from Cena, HHH must stay away from Undertaker they are selling this for money not throwing it away on Raw just to satisfy some smarks who never booked a show or doesn't know what goes into booking a show.

Now in reality:
HHH & Undertaker are both coming off injuries why should there be any unnecessary physicality? The last thing they need is for one of these guys to get injured again before the big dance. I agree the storyline could be better and it does nothing for me because HHH has already tried to beat Undertaker the only sticking point is that 10 years ago it wasn't about the streak exactly it was about HHH wanting to kick Undertaker's ass and vice versa they could have done that type of story at any event. This type of story puts Wrestlemania as an event in the spotlight.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
The build lies in their match from Wrestlemania X-Seven and the fact that this is a REMATCH. But no, Vince decided that no one is to mention the X-Seven match. So poof! It never happened.

I like how WWE releases a DVD entitled "The History of Wrestlemania" recently, yet refuses to acknowledge the back story of one of it's main event matches this year...that is rooted in Mania history.

Retarded.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts