Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Seeing clips from his documentary where he can barely move I'd suggest he has maybe 2-3 years left in him doing a few matches a year before retiring from in ring competition. Not sure what the plan would be for the remaining 10+ years of his deal if he stops wrestling in 2022-2023

He could definitely be an agent but at his size it'd be tough for him to travel and I doubt he'd want to live that travelling lifestyle. Could make an appearance or two a year but doesn't seem worth it to pay him a weekly wage just to have him available for an appearance or two.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bret Hart signed a 20 year contract with WWE in 1996 for what was at the time a ton of money. At that point he certainly wasn't going to be wrestling for another 20 years, so part of the deal was he would work behind the scenes to earn his pay. I wonder if Undertaker made a similar agreement with Vince.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Basically Undertaker is going to be involved in the product in some way for a long time, even if it's occasional appearances or occasional help behind the scenes. Like those Saudi Arabia shows. Even when he isn't on the card he is still involved.

Good on Undertaker for forcing Vince to keep paying him something.
I thought that this was the scenario based on the fact that he was not booked for WrestleMania in 2019, and that he was reportedly resigned only after agreeing to appear at WrestleCast. I had no idea how long the deal was for however.

The question I have is was the relationship damaged, particularly on Vince's end? I recall Mick Foley back in 2004 I believe telling Vince that he had received a strong offer from TNA. I think Vince wanted him to turn it down out of loyalty, and when he didn't Vince reluctantly offered him a new deal. Foley was quoted as saying that their relationship from that point forward morphed from a friendship to strictly a business relationship.

I'm guessing that Vince expected Undertaker to sign a Legends contract and remain retired after the fall 2018 Saudi show, and not do anything non-WWE out of loyalty.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Signs Taker for 15 more years! But cant give Drew Gulak a few more thousand bucks lmfao
It's murkier than that.

Let's say it's $1.5M per year. Undertaker is not working house shows - just WrestleMania. I'll exclude the Saudi shows because they might be a one-shot, non contract payment for every wrestler who participates.

Taker does not work house shows, so for 11 months out of the year he's getting royalties for merchandise. That's it.

On the 12th month, he's appearing at WrestleMania. The majority of Taker's annual downside guarantee is earned that month for that show, through a combo of gate revenue, residual PPV revenue, merchandise, and possibly a newer Network escalator. Undertaker is costing WWE comparatively little between now and March of 2021. It would be different if he was wrestling every month.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
People seem to forget this doesn't mean he has to compete in the ring for 15 years.

Low key, I'd be happy just watching his entrance lol that's honestly 75% of a Taker match now and days.

Call me crazy, but would it not be kind of neat to see Taker bring back the ministry of darkness as the 'manager'? Almost like a cult leader, never doing the dirty work and ordering his minions to do it for him.

I also kind of want to see a sort of Old man Taker gimmick, or Taker the Grey. Not necessarily competing but an onscreen role.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I, obviously, know next to nothing about wrestling contracts... but... from what I do know, I have to ask - what’s the point?

they seem so one-sides that why even agree to it if you’re a multi-millionaire legend? If Vince doesn’t see value in you any longer, he’ll find a way to cut you. Why not just say, “I dunno, Vince, call me next year about what it is that you want to do and I’ll think about it”?

What’s the point of these long term contracts for guys that don’t need them? Of course, some guys have no options and are just trying to make a name for themselves, so there’s really no choice, but for Taker or Bret back in the day - why?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Damn and here I thought he was going to be main eventing ppvs against Omega in AEW in the next couple years. Disappointed!

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Yeah, a lot of this will be behind the scenes. Maybe after the boneyard match, someone wanted to put him in an action movie? Imagine if WWE had put The Rock under some kind of contract where they got a piece of all his movies? Now I am not saying Undertaker could become some big movie star, but they might be thinking they want to try one with him. Who knows? He could be doing cinematic matches for decades. Hell, Clint Eastwood is still going.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I mean, surely he’s got 2 years left in the ring max. What is he doing to do for the other 13? I can’t imagine him as a general manager or commentator. I suppose he could always be an agent.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Holy damn I am surprised taker got such contract. Respect the guy, but hes done man hes pretty darn old he shouldn't be going.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I, obviously, know next to nothing about wrestling contracts... but... from what I do know, I have to ask - what’s the point?

they seem so one-sides that why even agree to it if you’re a multi-millionaire legend? If Vince doesn’t see value in you any longer, he’ll find a way to cut you. Why not just say, “I dunno, Vince, call me next year about what it is that you want to do and I’ll think about it”?

What’s the point of these long term contracts for guys that don’t need them? Of course, some guys have no options and are just trying to make a name for themselves, so there’s really no choice, but for Taker or Bret back in the day - why?
Bret - Long term security, reward for 12 years of service to the company, and most importantly to keep him away from WCW at a key pivot point. The contact was for 3 years in ring and 17 behind the scenes.
Undertaker - To completely control the narrative of WWE's most well known character for the remainder of Calloway's career, prevent any chance of AEW or another company from theoretically signing him.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Bret - Long term security, reward for 12 years of service to the company, and most importantly to keep him away from WCW at a key pivot point. The contact was for 3 years in ring and 17 behind the scenes.
Undertaker - To completely control the narrative of WWE's most well known character for the remainder of Calloway's career, prevent any chance of AEW or another company from theoretically signing him.
No, I meant why do the wrestlers agree to the deals? It’s not like someone like Undertaker needs it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
No, I meant why do the wrestlers agree to the deals? It’s not like someone like Undertaker needs it.
Security. Let's presume its kind of a facsimile of the Bret deal. Three years, $1.5M/ea guarantee of which Saudi Arabia show payoffs do not count against the downside. And then from years four to fifteen, it's $500K per year for appearances, lectures at the Performance Center, and perhaps an on-air role. The latter is relatively light work, and he no longer has to worry about working the convention circuit. Furthermore, while he can charge $25K an hour in 2019...can he still do so in 2029? It's all about security.

As for Bret, he wanted security and to be valued. He said so in his book.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Security. Let's presume its kind of a facsimile of the Bret deal. Three years, $1.5M/ea guarantee of which Saudi Arabia show payoffs do not count against the downside. And then from years four to fifteen, it's $500K per year for appearances, lectures at the Performance Center, and perhaps an on-air role. The latter is relatively light work, and he no longer has to worry about working the convention circuit. Furthermore, while he can charge $25K an hour in 2019...can he still do so in 2029? It's all about security.

As for Bret, he wanted security and to be valued. He said so in his book.
But IMO, the recent layoffs show that there’s no such thing as security and these contracts seemingly only really bind one of the parties - the wrestler

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
But IMO, the recent layoffs show that there’s no such thing as security and these contracts seemingly only really bind one of the parties - the wrestler
Vince would only get rid of Undertaker if it came down to Taker vs the absolute survival of the company. Undertaker occupies a very special place in the WWE pecking order. Andre the Giant is the only one who comes close, and Taker ranks higher due to his even greater years of service to the company.

Why would Calloway take it? Besides the security, it's the loyalty to Vince. A 15 year offer is a huge commitment and an immense show of respect after 30 years. Plus they together will control the narrative of his legacy. That's difficult to turn down.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts