Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone watch the “ Underground Wrestling“ show on Amazon Prime??? I‘ve watched the first 3 episodes, it reminds me of a cheap knock off Lucha Underground . It‘s an interesting concept but not a lot of talent on the roster. Not sure what the training or talent level is like in Australia.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Has anyone watch the “ Underground Wrestling“ show on Amazon Prime??? I‘ve watched the first 3 episodes, it reminds me of a cheap knock off Lucha Underground . It‘s an interesting concept but not a lot of talent on the roster. Not sure what the training or talent level is like in Australia.
Underworld Wrestling.

Yeah, I saw the first episode it was an interesting concept but plagued with a lot of issues most modern wrestling promotions are and that is no backstories on the guys, no reason to care, emphasis on matches and not story, promoter on top as a main character when they probably shouldn't be etc etc etc.

I'm involved in the scene down here (Although in a different state) and Williamson (One of the promoters) was very very arrogant about this due to the idea going semi viral on Reddit. He talked this Amazon Prime deal up, said it was the best deal ever and just came across really arrogant in regards to the whole project. Williamson prior to this had 3 failed wrestling promotions under his belt that he always pumps up as the next big thing but due to the respect he has from being a talented performer these failures are always overlooked every 5-10 years when he tries a new promotion.

The idea behind it is unnecessarily confusing, certain amount of points for a win, more points for a submission, a draw is worth points if the match reaches 10 minutes someone else can run down. It's all "different" but I don't think it's particularly different in a good way. Williamson as this over the top evil character was unappealing and there was quite frankly too much of him on the show.

The talent was solid to poor. Some guys (I won't name names) are probably not marketable enough to ever appeal to a WORLDWIDE market like Amazon Prime. Slade Mercer as a tall good looking guy who has wrestled for All Japan Pro Wrestling was their final champion and is a good choice but I feel if you're going to try and appeal to a worldwide audience you should really spring for a big name talent that people recognise. These guys are mostly fine if you're trying to appeal to Australian Wrestling fans but worldwide they really should have had a guy like a Ryback (Not that he'd fit but someone on his popularity level) on there.

This is getting a bit long winded so I'll finish by telling you why it ended up failing. Williamson did an interview recently where he talked about how the episodes that are on Amazon Prime cost him 20,000 dollars to produce. He only produced 7 episodes so that's 2500+ an episode. He spoke about how he had to pay the production crews, the minimum fee for an actor not a wrestler (Amazon Prime insisted), for the belts, the sets etc. This is why his last 2 projects before this failed because the guy is really into high production, the best cameras, the best belts etc which is awesome if you're trying to be the WWE of Australia but if you're trying to do this underground fight club thing do you need big elaborate sets and the best cameras/production crews? No. He could've got a couple of people good with a camera, created a tiny but nice set and just produced his 7 episodes of TV for maybe 1/4th of what he actually spent but that isn't his go. He loves to spend the dollars.

Also, I'm an Australian Wrestling fan and never saw one paid advertisement for them. Just Williamson himself endlessly going on about how brilliant him and his idea was which was offputting.

He said in the interview that the project is now dead and he's trying to produce it as a comic book now. I feel bad for the people who pledged to the kickstarter because they all ended up investing 9000 dollars for 7 episodes of a poorly written internet TV show.

Australia now has another one that is much worse on Fite TV...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chip thanks for the background , I did know it was underworld, I don’t know why I wrote, that. I like Gwoc’s look, a little stiff as a worker. JXT has the young Rocker look and Slade Mercer could be a monster heel with some work and a better look , Pitbull is a love able veteran that i could get behind like a Tommy Dreamer. if this a regular Indy promotion on You Tube watch the weekly show but the point system and rules for points throw me off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts