Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought we could have a thread for under-praised matches. So just post any match that you feel is under-praised/underrated.

I'll start:

ROH All Star Extravaganza 3 - Davey Richards vs Masaaki Mochizuki - I see low ratings and no talk about this, which saddens me. These guys just kicked the sh*t out of each other, with the fans marking out. Exactly my kinda match.

·
Le Champion
18,652 Posts
ROH, I'm surprised you didn't say The Briscoes/Sydal & Daniels from FYF Chicago...

I'm gonna have to go with Samoa Joe vs. Homicide from ROH FYF: Finale. I know people are giving it like ***1/2 to ***3/4, but it deserves more than that IMO. For some reason, people are saying that Joe vs. Nigel from the night before was great and a MOTYC, but I felt this match was so much better. I'd give it **** - ****1/4. I'd give Joe/Nigel ***1/2 - ***3/4.

·
The Cold-Blooded Sausage Maker
8,590 Posts
I would say Bryan Danielson vs. CIMA in PWG but it's not on DVD yet so I'll wait later in the year.

So I'm going with The Briscoes vs. Colt Cabana & Nigel McGuinness. That was a very, very underrated match & wish they had a rematch but Cabana is in OVW now.

If it was 2006 then I would going for Super Dragon & Davey Richards vs. El Generico & Quicksilver on PWG Crusin' For A Brusin'. That is a f'n must see folks. I gave it ****1/2.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jack Evans 187 said:
1) ROH, I'm surprised you didn't say The Briscoes/Sydal & Daniels from FYF Chicago...

2) I'm gonna have to go with Samoa Joe vs. Homicide from ROH FYF: Finale. I know people are giving it like ***1/2 to ***3/4, but it deserves more than that IMO. For some reason, people are saying that Joe vs. Nigel from the night before was great and a MOTYC, but I felt this match was so much better. I'd give it **** - ****1/4. I'd give Joe/Nigel ***1/2 - ***3/4.
1) Yeah, and that too.

2) Care to give any reason why you thought it was better? (not trying to be horrible, just I thought it wasn't on the level of Joe/Nigel)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd probably say Dragon Vs. Colt from Chi-Town Struggle. I loved the match personally I thought it was very entertaining all the way through. Most people won't agree with me, but I thought the match was absolutely great and just so fun to watch. I'd probably give it around ****1/4-****1/2. I know it's not from 2007 but still.

·
Le Champion
18,652 Posts
I just thought the match was better. I really don't have much else to say about it. I enjoyed watching Joe/Cide more than Joe/Nigel. I can hold up my side of a debate pretty well eh. :$

Oh, and BTW, you might as well change your first post cause it looks like nobody cares about the '07 thing. And I also agree with what AmEagle said, but I'd give the match ****.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack Evans 187 said:
I just thought the match was better. I really don't have much else to say about it. I enjoyed watching Joe/Cide more than Joe/Nigel. I can hold up my side of a debate pretty well eh. :$

Oh, and BTW, you might as well change your first post cause it looks like nobody cares about the '07 thing. And I also agree with what AmEagle said, but I'd give the match ****.
Okok. I just thought I'd seen Joe/Cide way too many times before.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Meh, I'd go no higher than ***1/4 on Davey vs. Mochizuki. It was just kicks, that was my problem. It just came out, but Roderick/Davey vs. Evans/Delirious from Fighting Spirit is awesome and got no talk when it happened, probably about ***3/4.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MrPaiMei said:
Meh, I'd go no higher than ***1/4 on Davey vs. Mochizuki. It was just kicks, that was my problem. It just came out, but Roderick/Davey vs. Evans/Delirious from Fighting Spirit is awesome and got no talk when it happened, probably about ***3/4.
It wasn't ALL kicks. And at least both men worked over each other's legs, that was good psycology.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
ROH™ said:
It wasn't ALL kicks. And at least both men worked over each other's legs, that was good psycology.
Sure. I'll ive you that, I'm not saying it was a bad match at all, I gave it ***1/4, thats a damn good rating. But I see nothing it should get pimped for other than maybe "they kicked each other really hard".

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MrPaiMei said:
Sure. I'll ive you that, I'm not saying it was a bad match at all, I gave it ***1/4, thats a damn good rating. But I see nothing it should get pimped for other than maybe "they kicked each other really hard".
I love hard kicks.

:side:

·
Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me
8,234 Posts
watts63 said:
I would say Bryan Danielson vs. CIMA in PWG but it's not on DVD yet so I'll wait later in the year.

So I'm going with The Briscoes vs. Colt Cabana & Nigel McGuinness. That was a very, very underrated match & wish they had a rematch but Cabana is in OVW now.

If it was 2006 then I would going for Super Dragon & Davey Richards vs. El Generico & Quicksilver on PWG Crusin' For A Brusin'. That is a f'n must see folks. I gave it ****1/2.
I have gotta agree with watts on this, being spoiler free ROH FYF:NYC was my first ROH show where i didn't know any of the results, and when i saw the card and saw this match straight away i just thought Whoa, 1 of my favorite tag matches this year.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Michinoku Pro 10-Man Tag from 3rd Anniversary Show (1996)
Gran Naniwa, Super Delfin, Gran Hamada, Masato Yakushiji, Tiger Mask IV vs. Kaientai DX

A ***** match in my book and probably my all time favorite spot fest. I wouldn't say it's underpraised by those who have actually seen it since all the persons I have talked to agree it's great. It's just that not as many people have seen it as other common "*****" matches, making it an unknown gem to many.

Out of all the 5-star match lists made on this site, I don't think anyone ever put it in, at least not on the ones I saw. If you've never seen this do yourself a favor and take a look. Should be on Youtube or something.

·
Use to go to Jail for Whooping ass now I get paid
17,655 Posts
Super Delfin said:
Michinoku Pro 10-Man Tag from 3rd Anniversary Show (1996)
Gran Naniwa, Super Delfin, Gran Hamada, Masato Yakushiji, Tiger Mask IV vs. Kaientai DX

A ***** match in my book and probably my all time favorite spot fest. I wouldn't say it's underpraised by those who have actually seen it since all the persons I have talked to agree it's great. It's just that not as many people have seen it as other common "*****" matches, making it an unknown gem to many.

Out of all the 5-star match lists made on this site, I don't think anyone ever put it in, at least not on the ones I saw. If you've never seen this do yourself a favor and take a look. Should be on Youtube or something.
I've been trying to find that match for the longest I saw it on a Taka Michinoku Comp at Highspots but it's only highlights.

·
Veni, vidi, vici
14,875 Posts
Jericho vs. Benoit from the 1995 Super J Cup. When I hear most people gossip about it and all that good stuff, it never receives as much praise as it truely deserves. I thought it was a legitimate five star match, however, most people seem to disagree with me on that.

Another one would be Shingo vs. Takeshi Morishima from the 4/28 Chicago Ridge ROH show. I know it's not on DVD, but I thought it was just as good as anything else on the card. This match really showed me that Shingo could wrestle and that he was in fact more than a person that does a hard hitting shoulder block. It seemed to me that this match was extremely overshadowed by The Briscoes/MCMG match, rightfully so though. The Briscoes/MCMG match was superior and deserves the higher rating, but Shingo/Morishima impressed me more and exceeded my expectations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts