Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I don't get whats so wrong about The Ultimate Warrior. Why the hell does everyone hate him including Vince McMahon. I mean yeah sure he gave Vince hell even some times by No showing events but so have other wrestlers. Shawn Michaels was the most difficult and hated wrestler in the locker rooms in the late 90's and he didn't follow any of the rules Vince gave him but yet he got a second chance and now Vince loves him. I just don't think all the hate the Ultimate Warrior recieves is right. From what ive seen Ultimate Warrior was a tremendous attribute to the WWE in the 80's, The fans loved him and he was like the 3rd biggest star in WWE behind Hogan and Savage, He definately deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I just dont understand what went wrong to make everyone hate him....

· Registered
144 Posts
I don't think he's universally hated. Despite the image projected by the "Ultimate Destruction" DVD documentary, I got that Jericho and Christian remember him in a much more positive light than that of Flair and Dibiase.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
Of course he was misunderstood. His promos were incredibly incoherent.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Most of the things said on the dvd had video evidence to prove it and other guys co-signed it. When guys said Jarrett held Vince up for money (to lose to Chyna) I thought it was a lie until I saw Jarrett admit it on his TNA dvd set. Chances are this is not being made up.

Him being buttcheeks in the ring is not "one-sided" its fact anyone ever seen a Ultimate Warrior match? Cena looks like Flair in comparison.

And I don't hate Warrior but I don't think they lied on him either.

· Registered
993 Posts
He's another wrestler that has a poor relationship with the WWE, as a result his achievements downplayed and shown in a negative light. Contrast to those Vince likes, Ted DiBiase and Ricky Steamboat are two wrestlers portrayed better than they really are.

· Registered
611 Posts
I don't like him, I never did.
During his time in the WWE I thought he was overrated.
Without a doubt he had much charisma and was over during his WWE time, but as much as he was over he was shitty in the ring.
Also saw some interviews after his WWE and WCW time, he was oozing with arrogance and was stating political opinions and opinion about women which were clearly showing that he is just an asshole with some serious mental problems. Maybe too much roids?
In comparison to HBK, yes HBK was an ass backstage (maybe still is ,who knows?), but he had the talent to back his words up and was enjoyable to watch in the ring.

· Registered
91 Posts
I have never seen the DVD nor do I care too. I also grew up during his time and never understood the fascination people had with him but that me. On that note I do in fact think most of what's been said about the guy is probably true. I don't have enough energy to hate him though. I already hate to many other things without adding him into the list.

· Registered
993 Posts
Says the guy with Cena as his avatar.Anyway,yeah,the guy was a shitpile wrestler.
Not even close.
Ultimate Warrior was one of the worst workers in the history of the business.

· Registered
202 Posts
That slandorous DVD was complete exaggeration and bullshit. NOt any less talented than a lot of the 80s guys.
I only watched the DVD because somebody bought it for me as a gift.

I actually hated the Warrior back in the 80s/90s. I actually cheered the heels when he fought them. I was more of a Flair/Bret/Hennig/Rude mark. Even when I was 14 years old, I learned to think for myself and see past the whole Hulkamaniacs/Little Warriors mystique that the WWF was trying to cram down our throats.

About the DVD: laughable and one-sided. I will address the most ridiculous aspects:

1. Vince hates a lot on Warrior for holding him up for more money at SummerSlam '91. Warrior basically blackmailed Vince by threatening to no-show for the PPV. This actually made me like Warrior more because like Vince, he is also a shrewd businessman. After I watched the DVD, I looked up more facts about this incident and it turns out that Warrior was just demanding money from other income streams (like pay for WrestleMania) that he felt was owed to him. On top of that, Warrior has been re-hired two more times by the WWF since this "incident".

2. Gene Okerlund's claims that Warrior's "rambling promo" during his first WCW appearance caused their ratings to drop. In reality, Warrior's first appearance on Nitro was the _highlight_ of his short WCW run, and the promo was pretty good. It was only his later appearances where he became lame and the ratings had dropped. For the first appearance? WCW beat RAW by a huge margin that night.

3. Hogan's claim that Warrior did a "big no-no" in WCW by mentioning that they had wrestled before and that Warrior beat him. That is pure Hogan bullshit. Everybody fucking knew they wrestled before and that their upcoming match in WCW was a rematch from WrestleMania VI. Warrior actually was putting Hogan over when he said: "I conquered what was unconquerable." Nothing wrong with that. If he had said: "I beat Hogan easily and he's so weak" then maybe HH would have a point.

4. Triple H's claim that Warrior was "unprofessional". Triple H is simply butthurt that Warrior nixed Hunter's desire for a 10 minute match where he got to put in more offense in their WrestleMania match in 1996. Warrior basically turned it into a 90 second squash match because it was his first match in 4 years and wanted to make a spectacular re-entry in the WWF. Triple H at the time was a nobody, and he did not deserve or warrant a match where he got to look strong against a top star.

Vince hates Warrior (though signs point to that he may be relenting on this stance due to his overtures for offering Warrior a spot in the HOF last year), and he got his WWE employees, ass-kissers and hanger-ons to bash the Warrior for 2 hours.

I'm no fan of Warrior's in-ring work, but he could at least make a squash match look spectacular. He was probably the best ever at this type of match.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Ultimate Warrior was my favorite wrestler when I was 5 but now that i'm older and understand everything then yeah I would agree with all the things said about him.
This.

When I first re-watched his matches and promo's, I realised how much he was off his head and wasn't much better in the ring. Can't deny the fact that he was massively over though in the late 80s and early 90s.

I think eventually he will end up in the Hall of Fame. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he was close to signing a legends deal with the WWE, either last year or the year before.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.