Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What made this blow up and pretty much be preferred over WWE and professional wrestling in general?

Back in 1997 when we saw one of the best fighters in the world in Ken Shamrock switch from the UFC to the WWF as it was then called, people were saying how he was the best in the world at what he did, it was pretty much swapping 'real combat' for 'scripted wrestling'

I mean, the WWF was pushing for UFC, they were promoting the UFC's upcoming PPV's etc. and having Lions Den matches and all sorts similar to the UFC.

Thing is, this was all before a 'boom' period in the WWF happened with the Attitude Era not happening for almost another year. It was still PG in the WWF so you can't really say since the WWE's gone PG..

How did the UFC suddenly become so popular and what year roughly? Was it way after the Invasion angle? Was it when stars like The Rock and Stone Cold left?

It's just amazing how the WWF back 15 years ago would promote the UFC about yet these days you wouldn't get the WWE promoting any sort of other promotion or fighting program like that.

Did they think little of the UFC back then? Did they think it basically wouldn't become big? or become almost a competitor to them in terms of fanbase etc?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
They are the grown up attitude era generation that think real fighting is cool.

They also think they can fight because they saw it on TV which is where you get the D-bags in $70 Affliction t-shirts that would get choked out by a whitebelt.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
UFC is good because of Dana White. He took a company that didn't have any business being in America and turned it into what it is today.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I still don't see how UFC is as big as people make it out to be. They're way more mainstream than WWE obviously, and their fanbase is talked about way more(mostly cause their fanbase are the ones who are reporting on these sports stations and stuff), but they don't get as much viewers as WWE.

PPV buyrates are huge compared to WWE, but their tv ratings for the ufc prelims are almost the same amount as the amount of ppv buys they get. I don't see UFC having more fans than WWE on a USA or global scale.

But what has made UFC so huge is that it's presentation is real good,it's almost like WWE and boxing combined, and big part of their fanbase are people who used to(or still do) like WWF.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think that the WWE helped towards that in 1997 though? Do you think the Attitude Era fans (much like myself) saw Ken Shamrock and saw the WWE at the time promoting the UFC and thought they'd switch over to watch it and they enjoyed it? I mean Shamrock was over!!

I've never really got into the UFC to be honest, I don't know why. I watch it occasionally, I've watched Brock's matches for example. I just hate it when people say UFC is much better than Wrestling because it's real. It's a complete different type of entertainment.

I would like to see a UFC fighter get thrown off a cell 50 ft or however high it was, through a commentary table, then carry on whilst then going up again and being thrown down through the cell with a chair knocking you out on the landing AND still do what they do..

·
Banned
193 Posts
PPV buyrates are huge compared to WWE, but their tv ratings for the ufc prelims are almost the same amount as the amount of ppv buys they get.
Are you a TNA fan or something? Buyrates are what really matter not ratingz.

I would like to see a UFC fighter get thrown off a cell 50 ft or however high it was, through a commentary table, then carry on whilst then going up again and being thrown down through the cell with a chair knocking you out on the landing AND still do what they do..
What?

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
They took pro wresling's formula & mixed it with real fights.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what the reference was.

That only happened once and you are acting like it is a regular occurrence. It was a fucking stupid stunt.
Not really saying it's regular occurrence but they take bumps every night. Being thrown to the outside of the ring is dangerous just because the way they can land tbh.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
To me UFC was much more interesting in it's early days. I used to watch it with my friends back in '94, and it was just more fun. You had 175 pound Royce Gracie fighting 350 pounders. Now there's a 265 pound limit. You had guys that were experts in one style, and basically did only that. Nowadays everyone has to be "well-rounded". There were also fewer restrictions back then on the holds and stuff they could do.

It's become mainstream and boring.

·
Registered
172 Posts
UFC really took off after the success of Ultimate Fighter Season 1 as mentioned earlier in this thread, but what I think UFC does much better than WWE/TNA or any Pro Wrestling company is the way they build fighters and fights. I can honestly say going into UFC ppvs I really want to watch atleast 3-4 fights and actually care about the fighters. Where as in WWE, a ppv just seems either thrown together, or just focused around 1 match being the main event which quite often is the same match from the previous PPV

During WWE's boom period in late 90's and early 2000's I can still remember majority on the matches on some of their PPV cards during this time because they actually made an effort to put everyone and every fued over, nowadays it seems unless its the main event theres not much promotion/build.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
I don't think WWE helped UFC long-term in 1997. Because there was a few years after 1997 where UFC really declined in popularity. Many PPV carriers stopped carrying it, and it looked like the company may not last at all. It's subsequent rise after those troubles were years after the 1997 partnership with the WWE.

·
I GOT ALOT LEFT IN THE TANK
4,541 Posts
To me UFC was much more interesting in it's early days. I used to watch it with my friends back in '94, and it was just more fun. You had 175 pound Royce Gracie fighting 350 pounders. Now there's a 265 pound limit. You had guys that were experts in one style, and basically did only that. Nowadays everyone has to be "well-rounded". There were also fewer restrictions back then on the holds and stuff they could do.

It's become mainstream and boring.
The reason people are have to be "well-rounded" is because they will lose if they don't. People are becoming more talented and it's no longer a question of Boxers vs Wrestlers but instead who is the best *mixed* martial artist. And being well versed in more than one discipline doesn't mean you aren't an expert at one. As far as restrictions, again with people getting more talented weight begins to matter more. 170lb GSP #2 pound for pound isn't going to beat 265 Brock Lesnar at this level of talent, despite being the better fighter.

Cookie Monster said:
Not really saying it's regular occurrence but they take bumps every night. Being thrown to the outside of the ring is dangerous just because the way they can land tbh.
Saying wrestling is scripted and UFC is real isn't an attempt insulting pro-wrestlers.I don't think anyone is down playing professional wrestlers. What they do is scripted but also dangerous. With that said though, most professional wrestlers would not even think about doing some of the things Foley has done. That guy is a crazier than most athletes.

dxbender said:
PPV buyrates are huge compared to WWE, but their tv ratings for the ufc prelims are almost the same amount as the amount of ppv buys they get. I don't see UFC having more fans than WWE on a USA or global scale.
That's just ratings. Perhaps WWE & TNA are putting too much of an emphasis on their ratings. UFC is drawing in big money selling out arenas and getting massive buys on PPVs. And as far as globally UFC has PPVs in Japan, Canada, Brazil, Germany, Australia, Ireland, England, Puerto Rico. And TV ratings for prelims being almost the same as the amount of ppv buys is bad? What? That shows people who see the pre-show are entertained enough to go out and spend money. How many times do WWE go-home shows leave us disappointed? Watch this Monday night Raw and see if it makes you want to order Vengeance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts