Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't Vince just do Uha Nation instead of Uhaa Nation? It's not any different than what they did to Taz and then Tazz. When I watch the former Uhaa Nation perform today it's nonsense. Show the WWE Universe what made you hire him in the first place. Uhaa Nation was definitely popular, but Apollo Crews is certainly not.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
That's lazy booking. It's their job to create a character. And anyways this Titus brand stuff is working its giving him personality
Not really. Its not like WWE have to create a brand new character for each talent that comes in. Theres nothing wrong with having the talent play a variation of his indy gimmick. Look at Styles, Nakamura and Joe for example.

I've heard great things of Uhaa nation from his indy run. I mean, I'm not sure what the Uhaa nation character is but I don't see it different than the Apollo Crews character so I doubt it really matters

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
well the Titus brand is as step in the right direction since I like Titus, so it might be good. It's just Apollo's smiling annoys the shit out of me...

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
That's lazy booking. It's their job to create a character. And anyways this Titus brand stuff is working its giving him personality
Not really. Its not like WWE have to create a brand new character for each talent that comes in. Theres nothing wrong with having the talent play a variation of his indy gimmick. Look at Styles, Nakamura and Joe for example.

I've heard great things of Uhaa nation from his indy run. I mean, I'm not sure what the Uhaa nation character is but I don't see it different than the Apollo Crews character so I doubt it really matters

·
10,960 Posts

Guys like nak, styles etc are established big names. as great as crews is he was never as big as the names you mentioned. There's no name value to him.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Guys like nak, styles etc are established big names. as great as crews is he was never as big as the names you mentioned. There's no name value to him.
Thats not the point. Why the hell does WWE have to create a new character for an incoming talent when that talent already has a perfectly fine character for them to use. Its different if the guy just doesn't have a good character. Under your logic, we'd never be able to see Aleister Black's satanic gimmick because he wasn't a big indy name so we have to give him a new character. Which is bloody stupid when his current character already works fine.

·
10,960 Posts
Thats not the point. Why the hell does WWE have to create a new character for an incoming talent when that talent already has a perfectly fine character for them to use. Its different if the guy just doesn't have a good character. Under your logic, we'd never be able to see Aleister Black's satanic gimmick because he wasn't a big indy name so we have to give him a new character. Which is bloody stupid when his current character already works fine.
Tommy end was? He worked pwg, wxw, progress etc. But back to the topic at hand. What exactly was the Uhaa nation gimmick? I have only seen his series of matches with AR fox. When it comes to him I'm very much a casual. The only out of ring thing I know of him was he blew out his knee in 2012 I believe

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Tommy end was? He worked pwg, wxw, progress etc. But back to the topic at hand. What exactly was the Uhaa nation gimmick? I have only seen his series of matches with AR fox. When it comes to him I'm very much a casual. The only out of ring thing I know of him was he blew out his knee in 2012 I believe
Of I didn't watch him as well but I don't think its much different from Apollo Crews. Probably less smiley babyface and just a different name.

·
10,960 Posts
Of I didn't watch him as well but I don't think its much different from Apollo Crews. Probably less smiley babyface and just a different name.
To answer your previous question. As has been seen with the ascension and Adam rose some gimmicks don't translate well too a larger audience which is probably why we haven't seen uhaa

·
Registered
24,908 Posts
So what was great about Uhaa Nation that Apollo Crews is missing. It's easy to go "rabble rabble this guy was better elsewhere" but what was good about him, what's he now missing? A lot of times I see this "X was better on the Indies" but people ever really explain why they just say random vague things like "why did Vince change them" or "they're missing the appeal of the character"

So what was taken from him that may be causing his lack of fan appeal. Is he missing some important moves? Is he missing an important character trait that had him over outside of WWE. Like is it a case of WWE really taking something away from him that was pivotal or maybe is it just a thing where Uhaa Nation/ Apollo Crews just doesn't translate to a WWE audience well. Not every wrestler is for every promotion and every audience. Not to mention that the very real "they made it now they suck" cliche could subconsciously be at play

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
I haven't seen much of Uhaa Nation on the indies. People I trust gave him good reviews and thought he was definitely someone who should be signed. It just hasn't worked out thus far. Turning him into "Uhaa Nation" is not the solution, because you still have the same limitations on the performer. His promos aren't great and his presence, when not the big fish in the small pond, isn't that impressive. It's a similar situation to the one Paul Burchill found himself in.

I find it very difficult to care about him, and I think most people are having that problem. Maybe things will suddenly click into place and a heel run will do him good?

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly. If someone is coming in because the WWE hired them there must have been something that brought the WWE to them. Vince has always enjoyed "creating" stars. That's a talent of his that really takes more credit than it ever should have. With that said I think it's important to note that Uhaa Nation was over. Why?

Part of me wants to say the name and the entrance. People got into the character because of those two crucial things that have nothing to do with what he can do in the ring. His work in the ring is amazing. I find that over the years fans seem to see less and less importance in the art of the entrance and name of the character.

I agree that in terms of the look there is no difference. That's the only think that I would see to change. Very similar to how Hulk talked about Hulkamania running while, it should have been "Uhaa Nation". I have been to more shows with Apollo Crews with the WWE than when I saw him live on the Indie scene. The difference is amazing in terms of crowd response.

When I watched Uhaa Nation wrestle live and listened to the fans response to him based on his entrance I was amazed. I didn't know who to expect when the music hit and then this bald, African American, male comes strolling out. It was awesome. When I hear Apollo's music it's very non exciting and doesn't draw a response from the crowd.

The band that wrote the song are Dshingis Khan. It's not my cup of tea, but I can certainly see how the song alone can be a bit catchy. I mean it is and I heard with my own ears a half a dozen times how over he was as Uhaa Nation. The song was made for the name. I think his attire should be something that reflects the song as well. There is something about the song gives this underdog tone. Shame, because I would love to see this shit live on Raw one day. Lol

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
What difference does changing his name back to uhaa or whatever do? He's still the same fucker

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What difference does changing his name back to uhaa or whatever do? He's still the same fucker
No it's not. Two totally different stars. Their reactions at shows were/are vastly different. No one gives a shit about Apollo Crews, no one. Uhaa Nation was original and was well received no matter where he went. Japan, USA, Europe, etc. The WWE should have just stayed with the work that got him hired in the first place.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
No it's not. Two totally different stars. Their reactions at shows were/are vastly different. No one gives a shit about Apollo Crews, no one. Uhaa Nation was original and was well received no matter where he went. Japan, USA, Europe, etc. The WWE should have just stayed with the work that got him hired in the first place.
:lol

It's the same person fpalm they're both good in ring & boring as shit

Not one thing done to make people care, "indy rep" can only carry you so far

1 - 20 of 63 Posts