Wrestling Forum banner

U.N. approves no-fly zone over Libya

3176 Views 55 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  HeatWave
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/03/un-approves-no-fly-zone-over-libya/1

As long as the US and Western powers don't send ground troops, it should be ok. After the international community paralyzes the regime, we should encourage Egypt and Tunisia to do more to help the rebels.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,145 Posts
Let them deal with their own mess, I say. If they want to live in the 14th century, let 'em.
That would make too much sense. Americans have been conditioned to think it's justified to stick our noses everywhere. Much of the West thinks this way, but the U.S. is the worst. We view it as our right.

· Kirk
2,885 Posts
That would make too much sense. Americans have been conditioned to think it's justified to stick our noses everywhere. Much of the West thinks this way, but the U.S. is the worst. We view it as our right.

It's a human rights situation now since citizens are being killed indiscriminately and towns are being bombarded. Libyans have been asking for this for weeks now and even the Arab League has approved. If the U.S. among other nations didn't take action they would be criticised. Plus it's a U.N. action with other countries involved.

·      
4,088 Posts
Canada and Europe are pretty fucking awful, too -- to be fair. Remember when the United States had non-interventionalism as a policy? Those where the glory days.

· Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
69,238 Posts
Canada and Europe are pretty fucking awful, too -- to be fair. Remember when the United States had non-interventionalism as a policy? Those where the glory days.
What? Canada only goes to help the states because we're allies, it is always American that goes in first to try and solve everyone's problems. We also only really send in troops to try and "keep the peace" and not really interfere with anything.

·      
4,088 Posts
What? Canada only goes to help the states because we're allies, it is always American that goes in first to try and solve everyone's problems. We also only really send in troops to try and "keep the peace" and not really interfere with anything.
Canada is apart organizations like NATO, the G8, the G20, the Commonwealth ect. All of these groups have tremendous input in policy around the world.

69,238 Posts
Canada is apart organizations like NATO, the G8, the G20, the Commonwealth ect. All of these groups have tremendous input in policy around the world.
I thought you were talking about entering countries to try and "help" the citizens of the country, not world policies. In fact I still don't know what you're talking about. You said that Canada and Europe are pretty awful as well, what did you mean by that?

·      
4,088 Posts
I thought you were talking about entering countries to try and "help" the citizens of the country, not world policies. In fact I still don't know what you're talking about. You said that Canada and Europe are pretty awful as well, what did you mean by that?
In that they, like the United States, involve themselves in the business of other countries.

69,238 Posts
Oh well in that case, like I said before, we only go to help you, the States, in whatever you're doing in said country. Otherwise we would most likely never get involved. Think about it, have we ever gone into any of these countries before the states and asked for your help? No, it is always USA that gets involved so we go and help them out in whatever small way we can because we're allies.

·      
4,088 Posts
Oh well in that case, like I said before, we only go to help you, the States, in whatever you're doing in said country. Otherwise we would most likely never get involved. Think about it, have we ever gone into any of these countries before the states and asked for your help? No, it is always USA that gets involved so we go and help them out in whatever small way we can because we're allies.
It's not always the United States. Historically, both Britain and France have used invasion as a means. Canada is in Afghanistan right now as a combatant as well as a peace-keeping force. But my point is, in some capacity Canada and Europe have been as involved in Africa, Asia and the Arab as the United States have.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Pfft, yet it's only the British RAF tornados going in to uphold the no-fly zone over Libya.
looks like the Typhoon is set to see its first tast of real action as they are also being deployed also the Navy is positioning off the coast for possible Naval bombardment .

· Registered
7,002 Posts
Interfering with a different countries business is a damned if you do damned if you don't

On one hand you have things like Afghanistan Iraq that drain money, public moral, and never seem to accomplish anything but make more enemies

On the other you have things like Somalia where foreign troops just let civilians get massacred in front of the world and the public claims that you aren't helping

I'm glad I don't have to make the choices

· Is a Snit Head
34,367 Posts
Let them deal with their own mess, I say. If they want to live in the 14th century, let 'em.
I would venture to say that your opinion is closer to the 14th century. You really can't just let people deal with their own problems because they are so far away. Libya can really mess with the Global Economy. With the technology we have today the world isn't that big of a place. An isolationist policy just doesn't seem practical. You can say mind your own business but for the big and powerful countries in the world just about everything is their business one way or another.

Interfering with a different countries business is a damned if you do damned if you don't

On one hand you have things like Afghanistan Iraq that drain money, public moral, and never seem to accomplish anything but make more enemies

On the other you have things like Somalia where foreign troops just let civilians get massacred in front of the world and the public claims that you aren't helping

I'm glad I don't have to make the choices
I think we finally got it right this time. Sending in a land force would be a terrible idea. The UN needs to help the Libyan rebels overthrow the current regime but we can't go in and do it for them or the Libyan people will reject whatever government gets put in place.

Think of it like the American Revolution. Yeah the US asked France for help but if France sent their whole army over, overthrew the British, and than "helped" us set up our government the people in the US would have just looked at France as the one that ruled them.

· Banned
14,767 Posts
FYI Canada entered both world wars LONG before the US did.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.