Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TWENTY YEARS, TWENTY GREAT FILMS​

Similar to the Afi's 100 years... 100 films saga I thought it'd be a nice idea to celebrate the past twenty years of film by writing about the twenty films that have impressed me the most since 1990. Obviously the medium of film brings out strong opinions amongst cinemagoers and so I'd like for all those opinions to be shared and discussed throughout the course of the list. I'll try to keep each entry interesting with trivia, quotes and clips etc and if it is a success then I'll continue the series with various other lists such as twenty years, twenty great actors etc.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
20.) DELICATESSEN (1991)

Director (s): Marc Caro and Jean Pierre Jeunet

Synopsis (Lifted from IMDB): Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy about the landlord of an apartment building who occasional prepares a delicacy for his odd tenants.

This film is off the charts surreal and is truly about as anti-hollwood as you can get. Featuring bullshit detectors, musical saws and underground freedom vegetarian fighters you should prepare to expect the unexpected where Delicatessen is concerned.
Seamlessly blending together romance, horror and comedy the film is in essence a warning about our dependence on meat and also on the animalistic nature of humans themselves. The characters are larger than life, the stories are wonderfully crafted and the film is truly a joyful and refreshing cinematic experience.

See this if you liked:
The bizarre dream sequence in The Big Lebowski. Delicatessen is pretty much as weird as that throughout its entire running time.

STANDOUT SCENE:

**** 1/2

19. GOOD WILL HUNTING (1996)

"See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna start doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckin education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late charges at the public library."

Director (s): Gus Van Sant

Won 2 Oscars for Best Original Screenplay (Matt Damon and Ben Affleck), Best Supporting Actor (Robin Williams)

Take a simple Tv movie theme about a young man trying to find himself and pepper it with memorable quotes, well worked sentimentality and great performances and you have one of the best films of the nineties. Although many people still can't quite believe that Ben Affleck ever sat down to help write a screenplay and many more people seem curious as to why himself and Matt Damon haven't touched pen to paper since, it would in truth be better if they ended their screenwriting careers on a high note seeing as they are unlikely to top their fine work here.

Good Will Hunting is a film that should be able to resonate strongly with all adult audience members because it deals with themes that we face everyday, about how we present ourselves and who we really are, how we define our lives through friendships and how the past can bite you in the ass and make it hard for you to move forward in the future. Good Will Hunting deals with these themes in a very mature manner but it still has fun along the way and there are as many killer one liners as there are intense conversations about psychology and life's purpose.

Also perhaps Robin Williams finest hour as an actor.

STANDOUT SCENE:

**** 1/2

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Interesting choice with Delicatessen, a unique piece of film for sure. I'm looking forward to see your other favorites.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
18.) GRIZZLY MAN (2005)

"I will die for these animals. I will die for these animals. I will die for these animals."​

Director (s): Werner Herzog

It is no surprise that director Werner Herzog was drawn to a project concerning the life and unfortunate grizzly death of eccentric personality Timothy Treadwell., He is in fact just like a character from a Werner Herzog feature film; a charismatic, off the rails showman desperately trying to chase an impossible dream. What makes this footage all the more fascinating however is that is one hundred percent real. Every summer Timothy Treadwell really did fly over to the wilderness to live with such dangerous animals. That he ended up being killed by one of the bears he was trying to protect is not surprising, that he lasted for so long is. This is really the most intriguing aspect of the documentary in watching the man up close and personal with these beasts, unafraid and completely devoted. Even though Timothy is completely deranged his compassion for the animals is at times endearing and it is quite something trying to watch the him defy the laws of nature. Meanwhile Herzog’s dry and subtely humorous narration is always there to remind us about the divide between man and nature – a divide which Timothy didn’t seem to understand, perhaps not until his final, fateful breath. This is truly a gobsmacking story which has to be seen to be believed.

**** 1/2

17.) JURASSIC PARK (1993)

DIRECTOR (S): Steven Spielberg

If there is one film which I may overrate due to nostalgia then it could be Jurassic Park. This film gave me hours of enjoyment as a kid and was the first movie to truly transport me to another world. The reason for its placing on this list is not just based around fond memories however. I actually respect Jurassic Park for maximising the potential of the cinematic medium by perfectly pushing its dramatic buttons to create moments of horror, beauty and pure adrenalin rushing excitement. There is a charm to this film which is sorely lacking in the majority of today’s blockbusters because the key difference is that Jurassic Park is always thinking about its audience as opposed to just entertaining itself. 3-d glasses and billion dollar budgets could never replace the irresistible imaginative drive that makes Jurassic Park such a resounding success. Plus Dwayne Knight is absolutely hilarious.

**** 1/2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts