Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 803 Posts

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,101 Posts
I never watched that ether. I'm very picky about crime dramas. The grittier and more realistic-feeling the better. If I detect too many cliches and common television tropes I usually tune out. That's why I had a hard time with Dexter despite being interestingly stylized, or that show with Kevin Bacon I'm forgetting the name of. I watched 15 minutes of Luther and it came across as very "Americanized" (can't find a better word to describe it), same with the aforementioned Hannibal. Shows that aim to entertain a mass audience rather than being designed to provoke and make you think. Maybe I'm way off about Luther because I didn't give it much of a chance. I do enjoy Idris Elba's work, especially on The Wire. Maybe I'll check out more eventually.
I'd definitely watch more than 15 Minutes. I haven't got the impression it's 'Americanized' at all. You need to give it chance to get going, I'm really engaged with it. It's more thought provoking than you might think, the main character isn't clear cut.

·
The face that runs the List
10,748 Posts
Currently watching The Sopranos season 5.

I was not fond of the first season to be honest. I barely made it to the end.
But the second one was so much better, and now it's a fucking great show.

·
14,101 Posts
I don't normally like Teen centered crime dramas, but Riverdale is pretty good for a CW show. I like the cast. Only a few episodes in to the first season, but the production value is pretty good. I feel like it helps not to take shows like this too seriously, because they are often times ridiculous.

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Netflix dropping $300 mill for that Ryan Murphy deal :sodone
I think Netflix might be run by idiots.

They are now in dept. They keep spending billions of dollars and they aren't actually making this money back. They don't have an immensely popular show either. Ryan Murphy sure as fuck isn't going to bring them one.

They need to make about 10 more Altered Carbons so it's more likely they hit on the next Game of Thrones. I really think The Witcher could be their savior, but it's gotta be done right.

It's probably going to take more than one GoT too.

Are we going to look back in 10 years and see Netflix went out of business? Will they be a lesson of what not to do? We shall see.

·
14,101 Posts

Been re-watching The Royle Family on Netflix, and forgot how much I absolutely loved it. Such a simple concept, but it's fucking brilliant. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. There's honestly no show out there that is as relateable as this for me. Every character on this show reminds me of someone I know in real life. My Nan & Grandad in particular. I also was pretty much the Antony in my house, always making Cup of Teas & shit :lol

Anyone else love this show? It doesn't seem to get as much appreciation as Only Fools & Horses, and what not. Even though it's equally as funny for me as far as Sitcom's go.

Also do any Americans like this? It's always something I've wondered. I don't really hear it talked about internationally. It seems like a show that would be weird to watch/understand the humour if you didn't grow up like this.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
I think Netflix might be run by idiots.

They are now in dept. They keep spending billions of dollars and they aren't actually making this money back. They don't have an immensely popular show either. Ryan Murphy sure as fuck isn't going to bring them one.

They need to make about 10 more Altered Carbons so it's more likely they hit on the next Game of Thrones. I really think The Witcher could be their savior, but it's gotta be done right.

It's probably going to take more than one GoT too.

Are we going to look back in 10 years and see Netflix went out of business? Will they be a lesson of what not to do? We shall see.
I think you may be slightly underestimating Netflix's business model because it seems to be working.......

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netflix-results/netflix-crosses-100-billion-market-capitalization-as-subscribers-surge-idUSKBN1FB2WM

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
@Blackbeard They definitely want you to think it's working. They're never going to say...well we fucked that one up. They need investors confident 24/7 365.

I think it can work in the long run, but I'm not totally sold it's going to. Not when I look at their catalogue. This isn't a world dominating catalogue. Not yet. I think Netflix knows this too. That's why they're continuing to spend billions of dollars a year that puts them further in debt.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
I am really not sure what to make of Altered Carbon. There are times where I really love it, and then there's moments where my mind completely drifts away and starts day dreaming. I do however give Netflix credit for funding a truly, balls to the wall out there trippy Sci-Fi series. I am not so sure other networks would of been brave enough to make this. I've still got two episodes left to go but I don't feel in any rush to finish it.

The nudity quota is off the charts. Boobies, ass, bush and even a random shot of James Purefoy's floppy wiener :gaymj

That bald dude playing Ortega's grandma was hilarious BTW. But my favourite character on the show is by far the A.I. Edgar Allan Poe, he's great.

·
14,101 Posts
I am really not sure what to make of Altered Carbon. There are times where I really love it, and then there's moments where my mind completely drifts away and starts day dreaming. I do however give Netflix credit for funding a truly, balls to the wall out there trippy Sci-Fi series. I am not so sure other networks would of been brave enough to make this. I've still got two episodes left to go but I don't feel in any rush to finish it.

The nudity quota is off the charts. Boobies, ass, bush and even a random shot of James Purefoy's floppy wiener :gaymj

That bald dude playing Ortega's grandma was hilarious BTW. But my favourite character on the show is by far the A.I. Edgar Allan Poe, he's great.

I know what you mean about drifting off by the way. It's not always high on the action, and I found it took a lot more concentration than most TV shows. I only watched it when I was prepared to put my full attention into it. I really appreciated it overall once I'd finished it. The last two episodes are pretty fun, I think you'll like them. (Y)

I thought the characters were great on a whole, in terms of making me invested in to them. If they're trying to get a following for this show, I think they did a good job. I'm also glad they took a risk with this show. It's unlike anything else on Netflix, and I was dying for a Sci-Fi/Blade Runner itch.

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
The concept of Altered Carbon just by itself is better than anything on Netflix save Ozark. The show is easily as great as Ozark.

60,001 Posts
Just discovered Future Man and got a kick out of its somewhat crude humor. Glad it has been renewed and saddened to learn that the actress portraying the mother has died. Wonder if they'll recast.

Also have watched a season and a 1/2 of Glitch. I am into the mystery of it and think it's pretty good.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
The concept of Altered Carbon just by itself is better than anything on Netflix save Ozark. The show is easily as great as Ozark.
Ozark is really that good? I haven't watched it, but I've read from a few outlets that it was boring and unoriginal. I'd love for them to be wrong because I generally enjoy shows with a similar premise.

·
40,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Ozark is really that good? I haven't watched it, but I've read from a few outlets that it was boring and unoriginal. I'd love for them to be wrong because I generally enjoy shows with a similar premise.
They have a case for unoriginal. But that is never a good critique. Something truly original is extremely rare as to almost not exist. Everything's been done. Ozark breaks no new ground it's true.

I didn't find it boring at all. Just the opposite.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Got bored so I went looking on Netflix for something, forgot there's a Mr. Show revival on there called w/Bob & David. Slammed through it swiftly, as there are only 5 episodes, but despite a good first one, the rest muddles along w/some solid sketches and others that are kind of there. Not as good as I was hoping for. At least someone liked Mr. Show so much, that they greenlit a mini-return for it. b/c who doesn't love something as amazing this:

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Apparently Amazon are developing TV series for The Dark Tower and Wheel of Time. It was only briefly mentioned in a Deadline article so I refrained from making a thread because I'd like to hear more first.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/culture-book-series-consider-phlebas-tv-series-adaptation-amazon-by-plan-b-dennis-kelly-1202297416/

But given the new push from Amazon's boss to make more shows like Game of Thrones this doesn't surprise me at all.

The streaming wars are going to benefit us so much. And I just remembered Amazon are already developing a Conan The Barbarian TV series :trips5

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Ozark was awesome and neither of them are reasons to not watch it. There's plenty of first seasons that are great but admittedly slow but I wouldn't call Ozark that. And yeah the Breaking Bad comparisons are obvious but it's also plenty different, has a much deeper cast that don't mostly all suck and had a better first season than Breaking Bad.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
The streaming wars are going to benefit us so much. And I just remembered Amazon are already developing a Conan The Barbarian TV series :trips5
Lets hope its better than the one from the 90s

161 - 180 of 803 Posts