Wrestling Forum banner

761 - 780 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Carnival Row is surprisingly good... fair amount of grittiness but it somehow understands not to wallow in it all the damn time. And I seni agree with reviewers... it’s no GoT. It actually has interesting characters and complex themes.

Now to finish the first season off.

·
Premium Member
43,957 Posts
I'm two episodes into Dark Crystal and it is literally better than anything else I've seen this year.

As far as fantasy epics go, it is a better Game of Thrones than the last season of Game of Thrones.

As far as rekindling of an old IP, it is better than anything Disney has turned out in the last five years, and is definitely better than new Star Wars.

And it looks fantastic and is great to see craftsmanship to this degree being applied again to tell a story.

And it absolutely captures the appeal of the original movie while also being allowed to take its time and focus on many different characters due to it being 10 episodes long.

And finally, I get a very simple joy out of hearing Mark Hamill's voice come out of a Skeksis, and Simon Pegg's voice for the Chamberlain is so on point, I get the feeling he's been rehearsing for this part for years.

Hopefully the remaining 8 episodes live up to what I've seen so far!

·
Banned
18,345 Posts
Finished watching the first season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance the other night. What an absolutely charming and immersive show with unforgettable characters. I watched it only because a friend was curious, with neither of us having seen Jim Henson's 1982 film, and we both absolutely loved it. The puppets, only ever so slightly touched up by technology, looked fantastic and full of emotion. The sets were excellent as well. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is curious. You won't regret it. :)

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts

Had this for years but never bothered to watch it since them discontinuing blu-ray releases pissed me off (I own season 1 on blu-ray). I seen it on sale on Vudu for HDX digital purchase for $59.99 and knew I'd never buy the DVDs so I said fuck it.

I knew all those years ago I'd love this show.

·
The face that runs the List
10,646 Posts
I watched all four seasons of Black Sails. It was a good concept but it could have been way shorter. It dragged a lot in the end and most of the political plots were uninteresting.

Also finished the first season of From Dusk till Dawn. It was shit. Absolute shit. But I ant to see the ending for giggles. And Madison Davenport.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I watched the first episode of Shameless US and it’s so bad, I don’t know who these idiots are that rate it better than the UK version.

60,001 Posts
EPIX is putting out some good shows. Pennyworth is good and I liked it for being unexpectedly dark and violent. Godfather of Harlem is only three episodes in and I really like it. You can't go wrong with a cast headed by Forest Whitaker and Vincent D'Onofrio.. Throw in Giancarlo Esposito, Paul Sorvino, and Nigel Thatch and you have a well acted 60's period piece that is really well done.

I'd also recommend Perpetual Grace Ltd. which is amazing and has incredible dialogue. It's from the same people who made Patriot. I love both these shows to death. :banderas

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,399 Posts
Been rewatching That 70's Show recently, and wow I never realised what a massive bitch Donna is. She's such a self absorbed character that loses it whenever the World isn't revolving around her feelings and wants. Its funny because Jackie is on paper the self absorbed bitch, but Donna makes her look like a total sweetheart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Raising Dion(first few episodes) 7/10
Schitt's Creek(first season) 8/10
Living with Yourself( first few episodes) 8 flirting with a 9/10
Cold Case Files(classic) 9/10

·
Banned
89 Posts
Raising Dion.

Started watching this last night with no idea of what it would be like. Well, I binged watched the first 6 episodes and will probably finish the rest tonight. Is it going to win any awards? Probably not, the CGI isn't the best and some of the acting is pretty bad, but it's still a very watchable show. It's not the usual superhero fare and it's still trying to find it's way. I think it will really come into it's own in season 2.

·
Premium Member
43,957 Posts
So has anybody else watched Primal on Adult Swim?

Yeah, that might be my favorite show this year. It is basically a show with a premise that 8 year old me wanted but with 18 year old me's sensibilities and tolerance for violence and gore.

Is it sad or weird that my two favorite shows this year were the one with all puppet characters (Dark Crystal) and the one with a cartoon caveman and dinosaur that don't talk (Primal)?

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
So has anybody else watched Primal on Adult Swim?

Yeah, that might be my favorite show this year. It is basically a show with a premise that 8 year old me wanted but with 18 year old me's sensibilities and tolerance for violence and gore.

Is it sad or weird that my two favorite shows this year were the one with all puppet characters (Dark Crystal) and the one with a cartoon caveman and dinosaur that don't talk (Primal)?
No. The media landscape sucks to the point that such things would be more enjoyable.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
Going to try to finally watch Chernobyl in the next few days. Thank you again for the recommendation, @Arya Dark;! :mark:

761 - 780 of 803 Posts