Wrestling Forum banner

741 - 760 of 803 Posts

·
The face that runs the List
10,661 Posts
I recently watched all three seasons of Defiance. Not a typical sci-fi show à la Stargate or Star Trek. I was pleasantly surprised by the characters who had a lot of depth. Plots are nothing special but there are nice swerves throughout the show. Cast is cool too.

AHS Cult is awful. This show will never top Asylum.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Lucifer getting a 5th and final season. Thid year has been great for shows I like. Not one cancellation.

·
Banned
39 Posts
“Dark” on Netflix was way better than I expected... season 2 being released on June 21st. Wouldn’t even watch the trailer for this one though as I think it gives too much away. Just go in blind and you’ll enjoy the mystery more.

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,025 Posts
“Dark” on Netflix was way better than I expected... season 2 being released on June 21st. Wouldn’t even watch the trailer for this one though as I think it gives too much away. Just go in blind and you’ll enjoy the mystery more.
This show is really great. Bit of a mindfuck though. I get confused a lot because the story jumps around a ton. It's really one of those worth getting invested and paying attention.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Just finished a rewatch of the first season of Supernatural on Amazon Prime (I didn't know they had 13 seasons on there).

It is hard to have a consistent opinion on the first season of Supernatural as it is probably one of the few shows where I actually enjoy the “of the week” stuff far more than the overarching narrative. While there isn't a huge amount of variety in season one, I still enjoyed Sam and Dean travelling America facing monsters, Gods, urban legends, ghosts, demons and more. The through line of Sam and Dean's evolving characters and evolving dynamic as they search for their Dad by killing one creature at a time still remains incredibly compelling all these years later, even if Sam is considerably less likeable than I ever remember him being. This is Supernatural at its purest. This is what made Supernatural so beloved in first place.

However I also recognise the show is dated as fuck... I mean damn are these episodes really almost fifteen years old? Fuck I am getting old. I mean at times it is about as generic 00s CW as it comes and add onto that the ropey special effects, bad acting, clunky action scenes where hits visibly don't connect to obvious stunt doubles and silly sound effects play in their place like an episode from the 60s Star Trek, lots of plot convenience that makes no sense in context and copious amounts of unintentional cringe, at times I am just like... damn, this show is fucking awful.

It is a show where you'll have these expertly crafted horror sequences in one moment, only for it to rip you right out of the moment a second later with astoundingly terrible CGI. You'll be engrossed in a really interestingly unfurling mystery only for it to then lose you as Sam and Dean have to make an astoundingly terrible decision (which no Hunter should be able to make given their knowledge of the Supernatural is meant to be their greatest equaliser) just to move the plot along. You'll have what should be a really emotional interaction between Sam and Dean only it doesn't end up landing because whoever is constructing the episode is more interested in showing off how sexy Sam and Dean are as two brooding bad boys instead. And so on. You get the idea.

I mean thankfully in these earlier Supernatural episodes my biggest problem with the show hasn't really set in yet, that constant need for escalation and constant need to keep Sam and Dean relevant within their story, without the quality of the writing or budget to achieve it. The early seasons play to their budget about as well as they can but you wait until later seasons where all these ultimate beings get introduced and they just look like regular humans in generic outfits and die often in their first appearance, usually in ridiculously underwhelming ways (usually involving Sam or Dean killing them with a conventional weapon with a twist, like a knife dipped in dogs blood or something equally as rubbish, because somehow this creature has survived a millennia but then can be killed like this. It also perhaps wouldn't be so bad had it been woven well but they use the same herpderp excuses all the time “well you may be a God but no one believes in you so I guess you're just like a regular human now or something?” like... fuck off). Although I actually think this knowledge still creates problems with this season for me, unlike someone watching this fresh, I actually stuck with Supernatural until around maybe season nine? The later seasons and the dramatic decline in quality of Supernatural casts a long shadow over the first season for me.

While Eric Kripke claims he had this five season plan with Supernatural, so much of season one in hindsight feels they are just figuring it as they go with no clear overarching plan at all. A rough first draft rather than a finished article. There is a lot of stuff happening in season one for sure, a lot of stuff being set up, but so much that you think will be important here will either later go on to be contradicted or disregarded, if it is even referenced again at all. Even the stuff that does eventually pay off, pays off when the show has completely come off the rails so I know the pay off will not satisfy. As a result it almost makes the first season feel like a fairly pointless watch, given how little of the show here will really matter in the long run.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
The Ducktales reboot is bringing in almost the entire Disney Afternoon

·
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wear
2,451 Posts
Watching season 3 of Jessica Jones

Gawd damn trish is annoying as fuck this season

wah wah I wanna help people stfu
Idk if I want to watch S3 of JJ and S5 of Gotham. Been sitting on them for about a month.

Money Heist on Netflix goes hard tho..

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
The Boys was fun as hell, even if the pace slowed down after episode 4.

Can't wait for season 2 !
I binged the show over the weekend myself and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not much of a TV show guy but I think the pace and structure was really well tuned to make it a "bingeable" show. There is probably some big argument against doing shows like this but this approach circumvented some of my biggest problems I usually have with TV shows. I am not saying the show was perfect, it certainly had its problems but the dosage meant those problems never became barriers by the end.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,395 Posts
I don't watch many tv show series, but I just finished The Boys and fuck I enjoyed it. Didn't find it slow paced at all the, I was engrossed pretty much all the way through with all the twists and turns. Some real good performances in this, with Homelander playing the perfect despicable bastard of a supposed superhero.

Star of the show was Karl Urban. Always been a cool as fuck bloke and he was no different in this show.

That cliffhanger makes me frustrated I gotta wait until next year for season 2 tho.

Highly recommended.

·
7,973 Posts
+1 to flying through The Boys and having a blast with it. Karl Urban was superb as expected but man Homelander is such a fucking star in that show. It's so much more fun to have the superman like hero portrayed like that than what you see in his actual comics. Agreed that it's an amazing cliffhanger to end on. Looking it up they'd already commissioned a second season before the first airs and filming has started, so hopefully it's not too long of a wait for more

Plus the arc that they gave
The Deep
was amazing and a real highlight for me

·
The face that runs the List
10,661 Posts
I binged the first season of stranger things, it's pretty entertaining but it was oversold to me so I'm a bit disappointed just like I was when I finally decided to watch breaking bad.

Off to season 2 now

^ Season 2 was slightly better for me but this show lacks a little something to be truly great

·
Mamba Mentality
26,059 Posts

Euphoria on HBO follows a group of high school students as they navigate love and friendships in a world of drugs, sex, trauma and social media.

Euphoria is raw, musical, and a realistic experience, and it’s also an ultra fantastical mindtrip that’s a depressingly bleak view on a generation of youth programed to be bound by addiction. We succumb to the mental and emotional traumatic cycle and the expectation is for us to be confined to “the program” we call society.

Society as it is specifically constructed to condition us from birth to dysfunctional norms, including fear and violence, as we aimlessly navigate journeys through our individual mania. Whatever the teens can do to numb the pain or dive deeper into self-destruction is the exploration we as spectators witness, or in my case sympathize with some experiences presented here. The show extremely emotive as it expresses the overwhelming anxieties faced by teens today.

We see what led to our children maturing into the living dead as an escape from the madness of reality. Some were born into it, while others fall in deep. I am absolutely enthralled to see how these graphic stories play out in this 8-episode series.

741 - 760 of 803 Posts