Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as big as goldberg was in 98 he could of been even bigger, if they built him up a little more and waited for starrcade for the title win

and make him work for it more, have maybe a gaunlet style match at havoc just to get into world war 3, this makes him more worthy which is why imo fans started to turn on him a but in dec98

this sets up several big matches vs nash/hogan/sting/etc in the first half of 1999

but when fans start to tire of him a bit in the summer, turn him heel, this sets up another 6 months and the same matches can be made but in reverse

someone had the same idea for sting in 98, make him become what he hated, then at starrcade 98 have sting/hogan 2 but reverse the roles

i like the idea of turning them heel, even at starrcade 98 they could of had goldberg turn and win, and atleast it would of set up things nice

imo it needed to be done while things are still kind of hot, hhh touched on this on his new dvd, when he turned on dx they were still hot but he needed to turn to make it more shocking and it worked for him

·
Aggressively White
6,266 Posts
WCW's goal was to beat WWF in the ratings, which they did by having Goldberg v Hogan for the first time on Nitro. However, they obviously shot themselves in the foot, it could have drew 600,000 if it were PPV. Some nice ideas, credit where it's due.

·
Banned
165 Posts
If Goldberg/Hogan was done at Starccade, people would've been more dismayed with how quick the match is relatively to how much they paid for it and would not have probably been remembered as magically as what actually happened in the Georgia Dome. 60% of the appeal of that moment was that it happened on free TV.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
If Goldberg/Hogan was done at Starccade, people would've been more dismayed with how quick the match is relatively to how much they paid for it and would not have probably been remembered as magically as what actually happened in the Georgia Dome. 60% of the appeal of that moment was that it happened on free TV.
remember goldberg wrestled twice that night. he wrestled hall for the opportunity to face hogan. so goldberg had plenty of tv time

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, people slag off the dome event as a cheap ratings ploy (which it was, lets be honest) but the match had that epic feel to it in front of 41,000 people, overall that Nitro wasn't a great show but the main event is up there as one of the best in Nitro history, if not THE best.

·
Aggressively White
6,266 Posts
Yeah, people slag off the dome event as a cheap ratings ploy (which it was, lets be honest) but the match had that epic feel to it in front of 41,000 people, overall that Nitro wasn't a great show but the main event is up there as one of the best in Nitro history, if not THE best.
It was short-sighted and naive, surely you can admit it, you have the biggest star in wrestling history against your biggest babyface ever, and it doesn't even warrant PPV, it could have easily exceeded 600K, WWE would be incredibly lucky and happy to get near that number for any non-Wrestlemania PPV.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You have to be careful waiting to long to push a guy through to the main event and put the belt on him. He could lose momentum. I thought Luger did when he didn't get the belt at SummerSlam 1993. I think the timing was right with putting the title on Goldberg. It just should have happened on PPV instead of Nitro. Although I must admit I was thrilled to not have to pay for it at the time and I will always consider Hogan/Goldberg the biggest main event match of the Monday Night Wars, imo. It really highlighted how badly WCW wanted to beat WWE in the ratings. No way should that match have happened on free tv.

It would have been hard to turn Goldberg heel. WCW eventually tried it. It was underwhelming. Goldberg personally hated it and demanded being switched back to a face.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Who would be left as a face then? Goldberg didn't emerge as a big name until 1998. He was still so fresh and the hottest commodity it made no sense to turn him.
Sting was the leader of WCW, and along with Luger and Page were there to oppose the nWo.
The problem was, despite the nWo playing the roles of cowardly heels who turned every match into a schmooze fest, the crowd still ate it up. Half the audience wore nWo merchandise, and they consistently got the biggest pop without really trying. So you never had the heels ever getting displaced or shoken up. They always came out on top, or no worse for wear.
I think that made WCW too comfortable, and stagnant with the popularity of nWo. The Wolfpac split should have been a great storyline but instead it ended up being inconherent and never went anywhere.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
It was never a good idea to turn Goldberg heel.

He was popular no matter what the smarks said.

And I'm not even a goldberg fan saying this. Goldberg was a great babyface.

But Vince Russo destroyed Goldberg. Russo fucked Goldberg up big time.

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
Yeah, I don't think a Goldberg heel turn would have worked out too well. For one, there was probably only one guy that could actually turn Goldberg heel, Sting, and even then I still think the crowd would have been 50/50.

IMO, those are 2 guys who NEVER could pull off being a heel in WCW, based on how well it worked when they actually turned heel. Lack of protagonists.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
It was never a good idea to turn Goldberg heel.

He was popular no matter what the smarks said.

And I'm not even a goldberg fan saying this. Goldberg was a great babyface.

But Vince Russo destroyed Goldberg. Russo fucked Goldberg up big time.
Goldberg was already destroyed at Starrcade 1998. Russo tried something new and fresh. The Monday Night Wars were famous for shocking every week to beat the competition, being a great babyface with a large fanbase does not work if the company was behind the competition for over a year, it was time for a change

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
I seriously doubt Russo destroyed Goldberg.

You can't expect the guy to do something miraculous when some of the talent where against him from day 1, along with the multitude of injuries shortly after his first run with the company.

And by the time he came back, the ship had sailed. WCW was at the point of no return and Russo AT HIS BEST couldn't have saved anything. He inherited power during the company's worst period and by then, anything WCW had that could have been HUGE was dead before it ever could be brought to life.

Russo is the last guy that should be blamed for WCW fucking up with Goldberg. 1998 was the end, largely due to Bischoff, at the time, caring more about beating Vince than he did getting more bang for Turner's buck. Goldberg should have won the title at Starrcade '98, remained undefeated until Starrcade '99 and then, MAYBE then, Russo could have done something worthwhile. But, the keyword is MAYBE because everybody had to be on board, which we know was virtually impossible in WCW.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
It was short-sighted and naive, surely you can admit it, you have the biggest star in wrestling history against your biggest babyface ever, and it doesn't even warrant PPV, it could have easily exceeded 600K, WWE would be incredibly lucky and happy to get near that number for any non-Wrestlemania PPV.
Agree 100% with everything you said. I think it could have easily exceeded 600k with a proper buildup. I'd like to hear Boots2Asses thoughts here.

It would have made no sense to turn either Sting or Goldberg heel, IMO, even after Starrcade 97 failure with Sting and ending Goldberg's streak. WCW had their top 2 faces. They just needed to build up new heels to face them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i remember some fans had an interesting idea of turning sting heel during mid 98 while holding the title the entire year, then doing sting/hogan 2 at starrcade 98 roles reversed

i do agree goldberg was slightly ruined going into starrcade 98, half the crowd was on nashs side, and there was a noticable pop when nash pinned him, the crowd or atleast half of them were turning on him imo due to pushing him to soon

i still think turning him heel after you got several big matches out of him and it was time to change things up, that way you get two big runs with him, kind of like the sting/hogan idea

1 - 16 of 16 Posts