Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(July 18, 2019) – During last night’s episode of AEW’s “The Road to All Out,” Shawn Spears unveiled the ace up his sleeve in the form of legendary wrestling villain Tully Blanchard. Effective immediately, Blanchard has entered into a multi-show agreement with Spears and AEW.

Blanchard, a second generation star who is widely considered one of the most notorious and treacherous wrestlers of all time, was a member of the world renowned Four Horsemen, the NWA World Television Champion and holder of multiple tag team titles.

“Shawn Spears’ new advisor Tully Blanchard is a legendary retired wrestler and a canny tactician known worldwide for his vicious streak and penchant for chicanery,” said Tony Khan, President and CEO of AEW. “Given the challenge that Shawn has issued to Cody for a match at ALL OUT as well as the long, bitter history between Tully and the Rhodes family, plus Shawn’s recent behavior in AEW, it appears that Tully Blanchard has a great deal of influence over Shawn’s intents and actions. This indicates that going forward Shawn Spears will be one of the most feared and unpredictable wrestlers in AEW.”

All Elite Wrestling

AEW is a new professional wrestling promotion headlined by members of The Elite (Cody and Brandi Rhodes, The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and Hangman Page) and Chris Jericho. For the first time in many years, AEW is offering an alternative to mainstream wrestling, with a growing roster of world-class male and female wrestlers who are poised to bring new spirit, freshness and energy to the industry. The inaugural event under the AEW banner was DOUBLE OR NOTHING on May 25 in Las Vegas, followed by FYTER FEST on June 29 in Daytona Beach, FIGHT FOR THE FALLEN on July 13 in Jacksonville, and ALL OUT on August 31 in Chicago. For more info, check out @AEWrestling (Twitter), @AllEliteWrestling (Instagram), /AllEliteWrestling (FB), AllEliteWrestling (YouTube), and additionally, AllEliteWrestling.com.
https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/shawn-spears-secures-wrestling-legend-tully-blanchard-as-exclusive-advisor-in-aew

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I love that hes super old, Its so nice to see variety and enough of this pretend pretty world.Everyone has to be super young,Everyone has to look pretty,Everyone has to be cookie cutter,Everyone has to be the same and fit in this soft shell. I want fucking hard tacos ok

Reactions: Fringe

·
Is a Snit Head
22,158 Posts
I don't know how much longer before Tessa Blanchard can sign with AEW but I don't see how that isn't her next move. I saw her wrestle a few times over Wrestlemania weekend and she's going to be a star. At this point I think it's just a question of where she becomes a star.

I could easily see her debut to come in and beat the shit out of Brandi Rhodes. If they're serious about pushing Spears as a big heel he's going to be working with Cody for a while. Tully is with Spears. Tessa debuts that way and involves herself in a big program right out of the start. And let's be honest, if they're signing Tully Blanchard to be a manager they're going to do a Rhodes vs. Blanchard angle of some sorts.

AEW brings in old guys "YES GREAT MOVE!!" WWE brings back Legends for a RAW episode "WWE is grasping at straws and dying!" Never change WF never change...
I feel like there's a big difference between bringing someone back as a manager and bringing someone back to be the center of attention and selling point to a show.

·
Registered
26 Posts
AEW brings in old guys "YES GREAT MOVE!!" WWE brings back Legends for a RAW episode "WWE is grasping at straws and dying!" Never change WF never change...
Huh?!? I get being critical of AEW but how are those things even remotely relatable?

This RAW is a ratings grab! They’re bringing back multiple Hall-of-Famers in an attempt to get casuals, and those that may have taken a break from WWE programming. The whole reason it’s branded differently is to show its different then the normal RAW.

Versus bringing in one “Legend” to manage another wrestler.

·
Registered
24,587 Posts
As much good as Impact has done for Tessa in terms of giving her a good platform, she's probably as good as gone once her contract is up next year.

And AEW and WWE are going to have a big bidding war for her.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,922 Posts
As much good as Impact has done for Tessa in terms of giving her a good platform, she's probably as good as gone once her contract is up next year.

And AEW and WWE are going to have a big bidding war for her.
Here’s hoping AEW has solidly established itself by then so her decision between the two is a no-brainer ... if it isn’t already.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Tessa will get a HUGE offer from WWE one has to assume as well. Life changing money. It will all depend on what she wants. She worked wwe in the past - why didn't they sign her then? Selfishly I hope she holds that against them. I believe I saw an interview where she referred to Cody as "like a brother" to her.

Googling Tessa Blanchard and Impact contract it seems she re-signed with them in July 2018 on a two year deal. This jibes with her saying she's signed into 2020, so her likely FA date would be July 2020, so near a year away folks.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Huh?!? I get being critical of AEW but how are those things even remotely relatable?

This RAW is a ratings grab! They’re bringing back multiple Hall-of-Famers in an attempt to get casuals, and those that may have taken a break from WWE programming. The whole reason it’s branded differently is to show its different then the normal RAW.

Versus bringing in one “Legend” to manage another wrestler.
Yes tonight's raw is a ploy but branding it different than a normal Raw isn't going to convince anyone that tunes in to see Hogan or Michaels or whoever to watch the show next week it's being treated as a one-off "special. So what is there to bitch about? People are all sore about it because it's WWE doing it.

Okay, then it isn't any different than WWE having Undertaker work a short program. Which people crucified WWE for doing recently. It's the same as AEW making a 50-year-old Chris Jericho a focal point of their company and complaining that Goldberg was Universal Champion.

There is nothing wrong with either Company doing any of these things, especially if they pay off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes tonight's raw is a ploy but branding it different than a normal Raw isn't going to convince anyone that tunes in to see Hogan or Michaels or whoever to watch the show next week it's being treated as a one-off "special. So what is there to bitch about? People are all sore about it because it's WWE doing it.

Okay, then it isn't any different than WWE having Undertaker work a short program. Which people crucified WWE for doing recently. It's the same as AEW making a 50-year-old Chris Jericho a focal point of their company and complaining that Goldberg was Universal Champion.

There is nothing wrong with either Company doing any of these things, especially if they pay off.

Yes tonight's raw is a ploy but branding it different than a normal Raw isn't going to convince anyone that tunes in to see Hogan or Michaels or whoever to watch the show next week it's being treated as a one-off "special.
Agreed!

So what is there to bitch about? People are all sore about it because it's WWE doing it.
They want to see storylines progress and not a ratings grab. I do agree with the latter though.

Undertaker working a short program isn't bad. I think the Saudi show left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, but Taker showed up in shape and performed reasonably well. Taker is not a manager (like Tully) that's helping a former WWE talent with character development for his new gimmick though.

I agree about Jericho though. He didn't perform well versus Omega at DON and look terrible in terms of physique. Unlike most people here, I realize the following may be subjective. However, seeing a somewhat in shape Jericho in the WWE and NJPW and now seeing fat out of shape Jericho in AEW makes it look a bit 2nd rate in my eyes. And I don't really get excited to see him like others do.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts

.... why are you assuming the people on this thread are sore about it?

Go watch your show and enjoy it - doesn’t bother us none

But let’s not derail this thread - it’s not about WWE

Its about

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Tully Blanchard is one guy, being brought in as a manager, for a specific storyline reason. That's way different than 30+ legends being crammed onto a card in what's blatantly a ratings ploy that only shows how little faith WWE has in their actual full-time roster.

Context is key.

As for Tessa, she's still got a year on her Impact contract at least and I can see them trying to get her to stay longer (perhaps floating the prospect of winning the Impact World Title as an incentive even). As for WWE, well given how poorly they're using their women's division post-Royal Rumble, I don't really know that I want Tessa there anyway. And also who knows what her feelings are towards them after how bleh his first tenure was there.

I could see AEW making a big offer, but I don't know that it's a guarantee that she'd take it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts