Wrestling Forum banner

True or False: Without Vince, wrestling would not mainstream as of today?

• True

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • False

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Vince, wrestling was all but territorial. Vince then came into the wrestling world and expanding the WWF national which led to creation of WCW, TNA, and ECW and other wrestling mainstream promotions.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Bill Watts has plans to expand his company back then too and if Vince McMahon wasn't around maybe he would have cracked it. It's too hard to say if it would be as main as it is today if it wasn't for Vince but saying it wouldn't have happened without him is inaccurate in my opinion.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Doubtful. Watts was no McMahon. A lot of people say someone else would have done it, but wrestling was around for a really long time and no one did. But Vince did.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean by mainstream. As far as being relevant to pop culture, I don't see how WWE is anymore relevant than wrestling was for years. Back in the Fred Kohler era, wrestling was right at the top 10 in the most popular shows on television.

Just look at the Mayweather bout, where HHH is so mainstream he's not even acknowledged.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean by mainstream. As far as being relevant to pop culture, I don't see how WWE is anymore relevant than wrestling was for years. Back in the Fred Kohler era, wrestling was right at the top 10 in the most popular shows on television.

Just look at the Mayweather bout, where HHH is so mainstream he's not even acknowledged.
He barely wrestles anymore. John Cena and The Rock are always acknowledged if in the crowd. Even Mark Henry is acknowledged in crowds (during a Spurs game this year, they even did a segment where he attacked the Spurs' mascot with a headbutt as he was bothering him).

HHH gets no recognition now because his career is basically over. That isn't indicative of the WWE as a whole.

As for being a top 10 show. . .is that some kind of joke? There's a hell of a lot more shows and channels now than back then. Wtf was that, like the 60's? Tv barely had any channels and there was next to nothing to choose from.

Biggest joke of a point I've ever seen in my life. That's like saying Racer A is much better than Racer B, because Racer A finished in the top 10 in every race for awhile while Racer B doesn't right now. Yet you fail to give the rest of the information, that Racer A only raced in 50 person races, while Racer B raced in 10,000 person races.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts

50 cent or Beiber were not acknowledged either on TV by the announcers.

Yahoo sports covered HHH's appearance on the event -

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayweather-assists-triple-h-wwe-cotto-fight-144900817--spt.html

WWE is still very popular, actually more popular than UFC worldwide. But I do agree that wrestling popularity is shrinking every day.

Hogan and the rock are the only two who managed to get main stream. Taker,HHH,Cena,Austin etc... are always associated with WWE to get recognized.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SOO True. Whatever you say/think 'bout Vince McMahon, nobody did as much for wrestling bussiness as he did. If it wasn't for him, most of us probably wouldn't watch wrestling, as there would probably never be WWE, WCW, TNA etc. And even if they were, managed by other people, they wouldn't be half as popular as they are.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
False.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
True. Whether the industry is better off because of it is another discussion, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts