Wrestling Forum banner

Which one do you think has the potential to make Cm punk the face of the Company

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think Triple h jobbing to Punk at Wrestlemania has the potential to make him the face of the company than Austin jobbing to him.

Austin hasnt been relevant to the product since 2003.. and he is a hardly a draw at this point.

Austin's return to the ring will be big but it will probably end up being babyface vs babyface feud like HHH vs taker WM 27 which would absolutely suck & does nothing for Punk.

Besides Austin's promo days are long gone ... i dont think we will see great promos between the two.

honestly do you guys think Austin/punk can deliver a great promo like Triple h/punk last week on Smackdown contract signing??

Not to mention there is absolutely No material for this Austin vs Punk feud to build on... it will probably end up being "what?' "what?" "what?"

I think, if you guys want CM Punk to lead us to a new era -
then it should HHH vs Punk at WM.

If you just want an IWC wet dream satisfied -
then it should be Austin vs Punk at WM.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Re: Triple h Wrestling at Night of Champions Confirmed. Dont expect any swerve!

He confirmed that he's wrestling, arguably. That doesn't mean he's wrestling a full match, that there won't be a swerve during the match or that the feud won't continue. At this stage in the year, with things like Survivor Series and the Rumble not TOO far away, they have a lot of leeway to play around with it. If something happens at NOC that further sparks the feud they can get away with skirting the issue until Wrestlamania quite easily. Gimmicks like elimination tag matches give them all the freedom they need.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nothing new that he won't fight fulltime.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts

Obviously Triple H putting Punk over at Wrestlemania has the most potential to put Punk over as one of the faces of the company. (Cena's match with Rock guarantees that Cena's days as face of the company in form or another, even as a heel, aren't exactly concluding anytime too soon.)

As Triple H told Sheamus in the build-up to WM 26, ask Batista, ask Cena.

Granted, Triple H isn't the all-imposing figure he was in that period of time/era. Yet he's still one of the absolutely most established still-somewhat-active icons the company has, and partly because of his closeness to the McMahon family and position in the WWE empire, his losing to Punk in a big match at Wrestlemania would be both an apparent and even subliminal sign to smart marks and casuals alike that Punk is a definitively made man for the rest of his career.

Still holding out hope, though I have resigned myself to it not happening for one reason or another (mainly because WWE has trouble booking long storylines these days--see: The Nexus).

Just because Triple H is going to wrestle Punk at Night of Champions doesn't mean that it's necessarily The End of the storyline/feud.

If you want to be ridiculously optimistic, the Austin/McMahon feud got into a higher gear with the announcement of a TV match to be held that very night. (That was the Raw that ended Nitro's seemingly endless ratings winning streak in the Monday Night Wars but that's another discussion for another time.)

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts

He won't job clean though. If Punk wins it will be through Nash/Laurinitus interference.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts

He won't job clean though. If Punk wins it will be through Nash/Laurinitus interference.
As it should be. Punk can hardly be portrayed as an underdog being held down etc if he goes on a winning streak of beating 2 of the top 3 names in the company lol. He's going to have to take a hit at some stage in order to struggle through, overcome and end up looking better and more legit at the other end.

·
Registered
293 Posts

As it should be. Punk can hardly be portrayed as an underdog being held down etc if he goes on a winning streak of beating 2 of the top 3 names in the company lol. He's going to have to take a hit at some stage in order to struggle through, overcome and end up looking better and more legit at the other end.
I dont know if i would neccesarily say Punk is portrayed as the underdog. (Granted he did call himself that once in a promo against cena, but that was mainly to prove cena isn't an underdog) I think Punk is portrayed more like a previously undervalued talent.

·
18,792 Posts
Punk still really needs his Austin's broken neck/Foley thrown aside by Mr. McMahon in favor of The Rock and/or, more applicably, fired by Triple H and Steph/Rock screwed out of the title a hundred times before winning the 'Rumble (sort of) moment for his face run to fully take off. Without the actual broken neck in the one instance.

He's covered a few bases but he still needs sincere, raw sympathy heat. It's what sends a lot of faces over the top. The cash-in isn't enough. He needs more.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts

I dont know if i would neccesarily say Punk is portrayed as the underdog. (Granted he did call himself that once in a promo against cena, but that was mainly to prove cena isn't an underdog) I think Punk is portrayed more like a previously undervalued talent.
Maybe underdog was the wrong word but I think the whole substance of his character and the reason for him being so outspoken would take a hit if he went on a massive winning spree. All that will do is turn him into SuperPunk. I got no problem with him winning and when he eventually reaches uber babyface status then he should. But the best way to make a babyface imo is to make them struggle for it. Make the heel such a dick, such a bastard that the fans are bursting for the face to finally beat them. Then when the eventually do, a star is born as they say.

·
Asuka
96,257 Posts
They need to go with Triple H vs Punk. I hate to say it, but I honestly believe Punk vs Austin would be meaningless. Austin is past his prime, doesn't draw the same way The Rock still does, and couldn't (believably) put up enough of a fight against Punk at this stage of his career to make it work. Not to mention, it would just get overshadowed vs Rock vs Cena anyway, so...yeah. Not to mention, this character isn't the character everybody wants to see against Austin. The Austin/Punk feud everybody wants is anti authority/heavy drinker Austin vs straight edge Punk. Punk would have to be a heel and shoving his values down everyone's throat again for the match to be the one that meshes well with what the plan everybody wants for them is, but Punk is past that stage of his career.

They have to really have Punk climb the unclimbable mountain. Stack every odd against him and at WrestleMania, just when it seems like he's got no hope of winning, you have him explode through the glass ceiling and unleash a shit storm on ultra heel Triple H, clean win, no shenanigans, no "Cena clean" win, where Laurinaitis distracts Triple H, totally, legit, 100% clean with an insurmountable comeback, and that'll put him over the top.

·
Banned
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
They need to go with Triple H vs Punk. I hate to say it, but I honestly believe Punk vs Austin would be meaningless. Austin is past his prime, doesn't draw the same way The Rock still does, and couldn't (believably) put up enough of a fight against Punk at this stage of his career to make it work. Not to mention, it would just get overshadowed vs Rock vs Cena anyway, so...yeah. Not to mention, this character isn't the character everybody wants to see against Austin. The Austin/Punk feud everybody wants is anti authority/heavy drinker Austin vs straight edge Punk. Punk would have to be a heel and shoving his values down everyone's throat again for the match to be the one that meshes well with what the plan everybody wants for them is, but Punk is past that stage of his career.

They have to really have Punk climb the unclimbable mountain. Stack every odd against him and at WrestleMania, just when it seems like he's got no hope of winning, you have him explode through the glass ceiling and unleash a shit storm on ultra heel Triple H, clean win, no shenanigans, no "Cena clean" win, where Laurinaitis distracts Triple H, totally, legit, 100% clean with an insurmountable comeback, and that'll put him over the top.
Perfectly said. (Y)(Y)

IF its Triple h vs Punk then you can be sure of a clean win for punk.

·
18,792 Posts

You're 100% right on everything here, every word. Gotta spread some rep.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I still want to see Trips/Punk over anything else Punk could do at Wrestlemania this year.

Even with the more than underwhelming build so far, I still hold out hope that they do have something in mind to hold off a proper big match between the two until Wrestlemania. Punk/Austin would be good for the promos but it just wouldn't have the same hype a big match with Trips would have with the right build. Plus Trips can still go in the ring, Austin can't. The boss/rebellious superstar feud has been done before but I feel this could have a different spin on it.

I really, REALLY hope they have something big planned. With Punk ending up the heel with massive faction, Trips returning as a face coming to save the company from Punk running riot with his group resulting in a match at Wrestlemania with it all on the line. Thinking about it, it really could just be awesome. If they screw it up (like it looks like they might) it could be a waste of an incredible storyline and a massive Wrestlemania match.

·
Banned
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still want to see Trips/Punk over anything else Punk could do at Wrestlemania this year.

Even with the more than underwhelming build so far, I still hold out hope that they do have something in mind to hold off a proper big match between the two until Wrestlemania. Punk/Austin would be good for the promos but it just wouldn't have the same hype a big match with Trips would have with the right build. Plus Trips can still go in the ring, Austin can't. The boss/rebellious superstar feud has been done before but I feel this could have a different spin on it.

I really, REALLY hope they have something big planned. With Punk ending up the heel with massive faction, Trips returning as a face coming to save the company from Punk running riot with his group resulting in a match at Wrestlemania with it all on the line. Thinking about it, it really could just be awesome. If they screw it up (like it looks like they might) it could be a waste of an incredible storyline and a massive Wrestlemania match.
Right on everything. Repped

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I want to see Punk vs Austin, but Triple H makes more sense.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
it has to be punk vs triple h , as much as i would love to see austin back in the ring

but the only way to get punk MEGA over is by having him in a long feud with triple h that expands to a seven or six month program up to WM

six months of build up for a big match like that with such an interesting storyline that is full of swerves and twists and un expected events is much better for someone you are hoping to put him over as the new face of a company

maybe after punk gets that spot and is in a point where his career is fully elevated .. THEN have him wrestle austin (if austin is able to wrestle again)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts