Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were all so busy in the moment, we were all so competitive, we were all so driven to succeed—that's part of what made it all work. It's funny how some of the things that were so successful started. The People's Elbow was something that Rock started doing because we were trying to make Taker laugh at live events. We were all trying to come up with the goofiest stuff we could to make him break character. I think it was Foley at TV one night who dared him to do it live. And we were all on it. 'We double dog dare you to do it.' Rock said, 'I'll do it.' And the place erupted.

"We were just trying things man. It was a new frontier and a new horizon. And if he did something cool? I wanted to come up with something cool too. My version of it. We were doing stuff that we wanted to see, that we thought was cool. If Austin cut a great promo, Rock wanted to cut a better one. Foley was the same way. Taker, same deal. We were all just so driven to do it. That's where it came from. What else can we do to take the crowd further?"
:rock

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
It's true. It was a regular move for almost a year from late 97-late 98. It didn't pin someone until right before he joined the Corporation. But even as a regular move it got pops like it was a finisher, even though it wasn't.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Too bad he doesn't (maybe can't) let current roster shine like that. Reigns is the top guy and your work doesn't matter. That's today's message.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
I remember once Vince, Booker T, Goldust, Rock, HHH everyone tried to get Taker to do a spinaroonie for the live crowd after Raw ended and he still didn't break character, just stood there in the ring :lmao :lmao

Reactions: WCWAttitude

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The People's Elbow was something that Rock started doing because we were trying to make Taker laugh at live events. We were all trying to come up with the goofiest stuff we could to make him break character. I think it was Foley at TV one night who dared him to do it live. And we were all on it. 'We double dog dare you to do it.' Rock said, 'I'll do it.' And the place erupted.
But did it work? That's what I want to know.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Most over move in wrestling history fans used to go nuts for it even when Rocky was heel.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
What I got the most out of that was "we were all driven to succeed" when it reality, they were all driven to compete with WCW. Point is, it was the existence of competition (internal and external) that brought the best out of everyone.

The lack of competition right now is killing wrestling overall.

I love these stories of the AE though. It sounds like a great time. Especially considering that it's mostly shit coming out of the WWE these days.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Austin got Undertaker to laugh at a house show once and was hated on by him for it!

- Vic
Haha please do tell more - I never heard of this!?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
They were all competitive with eachother, not just because of WCW in case that's the attitude of some people who wonder why current WWE talent don't do more of the same.....To me it looks like the goal was just to get to WWE and there was no plans after that, not realizing that's when the REAL work starts.

That being said, the Yes thing was a result of someone just fucking around. It's not like the current guys are not allowed to do anything, they just don't.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
The important part of what he says is about how the guys were all having fun and constantly trying to one up each other. You could SEE that happening on screen. Do you see that with today's guys? Nope.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What I got the most out of that was "we were all driven to succeed" when it reality, they were all driven to compete with WCW. Point is, it was the existence of competition (internal and external) that brought the best out of everyone.

The lack of competition right now is killing wrestling overall.

I love these stories of the AE though. It sounds like a great time. Especially considering that it's mostly shit coming out of the WWE these days.
But the competition in ROH, NJPW, etc though...

:laugh:

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Too bad he doesn't (maybe can't) let current roster shine like that. Reigns is the top guy and your work doesn't matter. That's today's message.
I blame management. As Austin said once he sees people walking backstage on eggshells. No one wants to get fired. No WCW will do that because TNA isn't giving out those big dollar deals.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The important part of what he says is about how the guys were all having fun and constantly trying to one up each other. You could SEE that happening on screen. Do you see that with today's guys? Nope.
In fairness, it doesn't matter how much they try to one up each other. If you're not a chosen one, you won't get pushed. Back then, they catered to the fans even more than usual because they had direct competition. That's the way wrestling always was. Not anymore.

Reactions: Lothario

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
And people say the 619 is lame, I thought this was a dumb move when he first started doing it. It takes long to set up, looks fake as hell and doesnt do alot of damage. Then from this we got the Worm - then the 5 knuckle shuffle.

I mark out when he does it now tho'

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.