Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Missy
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to WWE Superstar Triple H early this morning – though the whole thing was in danger of coming undone thanks to a dodgy trinity of phone connections between WWE HQ in Stamford Connecticut, Triple H’s snowed-under vigil in Long Island, New York and my location; five metres to the left of a tomato patch in Ashfield, Sydney.

My conversation with the wrestler-come-booker who will inherit Vince McMahon’s empire will run in an upcoming issue of FILM INK magazine, so you’ll have to wait till then to get the full story (which includes a very candid discussion of how he critiques his acting performances VS his wrestling performances, how McMahon’s style of micro-management has softened since the birth of WWE Studios, the prospect of Trips directing a movie, an account of his third daughter’s birth and when the renowned tough guy is at his most tender)… When you’re a lifelong WWE fan chatting to a guy who’s been in the business for decades the conversation will inevitably stray just a little towards the hard stuff though… So here are a couple of interesting titbits from our chat which I know won’t make the final cut of the article.

On Vince McMahon mellowing (or not)…

I’m not sure he knows that he ages! That’s the thing. As far as mellowing I wouldn’t say he’s mellowed at all, maybe he learned to be a more level-headed businessman… One thing about Vince is he is the most driven guy I know. He is 65 but you’d never know it – he works harder than anybody I know. He really is the driving force behind the company. He works and works out and he eats. Not necessarily in that order. That’s really about all he does – he’s a workaholic. Actually, that’s probably the wrong word – he doesn’t see it as work. I’m so lucky that I have that viewpoint too. I get to wake up every day and go have fun and come up with ideas. Not saying there’s not a lot of work and effort that goes into it, but it’s fun and that’s how Vince looks at it too. He doesn’t see it like ‘I gotta go to work’, he sees it as ‘I’m gonna have some fun today.’ He doesn’t have to do this anymore, trust me. He just loves it.

Triple H has recently taken on the behind-the-scenes role of Senior Adviser to Vince McMahon. Here is Trips on the prospect of inheriting the business, and how it has changed his outlook…

I think anybody is going to grow as they go into a different position. I’ve always been involved behind the scenes to some degree, even before I became close with Steph (*Triple H is the real-life husband of McMahon’s daughter Stephanie, with whom he shares three daughters). I’ve always looked at the business different to how a lot of talent does. I think that word says it all – it’s a business. A lot of the wrestler’s just see it in terms of their performance and that is the sole focus. For me it’s just seeing the big picture. And how much every department effects every other department. I once looked purely at the creative side and the stories and now I see the marketing side and how that locks into the creative side. It’s fascinating to cross the line – it’s a big learning curve. Of course I’d never seen that other side in such detail until recently.

On how tearing his bicep actually felt good…

I was totally healthy when we started shooting The Chaperone, it’s not like I did the movie because I was injured. The Chaperone was one of two movies I was doing back to back. But then I went to the gym and tore out my bicep, which was an injury I’d already had from wrestling. It didn’t hurt at all. Actually it’s funny to say but when I tore it off, it almost felt better because my shoulder and my neck had been killing me for the longest time. When I tore my bicep all that went away! Once you’ve torn it off it’s kinda torn off – there’s not much worse you can make it.

If you compare my bicep injury to my first quad tear – I mean that first tear was a very serious injury that my doc said might end my wrestling career. Even when I tore it the second time it really wasn’t to the level of my first one. Tearing a bicep – I mean, quite frankly Julian, my doctor told me if you weren’t in a business where cosmetically it needed to look right I wouldn’t even really do much with it. You only lose 5% of your strength, so it’s not a big deal from a performance standpoint, it’s more from a looks stand point and, you know, I had a big hole in my arm! So I had it fixed for that reason. I got to tell you – I mean, no one wants to be injured – but having an injured arm is wayyyyy easier than having an injured leg!

On inducting Shawn Michaels into the 2011 Hall Of Fame…

If he asks me and if he would desire that then I would be absolutely thrilled. He is probably the greatest performer in the history of the business. It’s up to Shawn, but I am ready and waiting…

While playing ‘Word Association’ the name ‘Stephanie’ came up…

That’s so easy Julian – the love of my life.

http://www.julianshaw.com.au/home/?p=950
I hope Triple H is the one to induct Shawn, and his answer to Stephanie's name in word association is so cute. :eek:

· Registered
5,057 Posts
Don't be silly, it's not cute. We all know he only hooked up with her to get on in life. Even though he was on the booking committee long before he even looked at her. And also a World champion before they hooked up. And also talented enough that this was never in doubt anyway.

· Registered
18,677 Posts
Don't be silly, it's not cute. We all know he only hooked up with her to get on in life. Even though he was on the booking committee long before he even looked at her. And also a World champion before they hooked up. And also talented enough that this was never in doubt anyway.
I can't really think of a good reason not to hook up with Steph. Huge upgrade from Chyna on every possible level. She's super-hot, extremely confident and completely loaded. I think anyone here would. :)

· Banned
4,461 Posts
One of the phoniest people in the history of the industry and apparently that's how Vince likes it.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.