Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He goes on to say if you want to wrestle the best women in the world, come to WWE. It's caused a fiery discussion on social media.

Thunder Rosa responds:

Technically, he's not wrong. If you let your wrestlers perform for any promotion, what's the point of a contract? WWE also does have the strongest collective talent of women under their umbrella. However, I'm a big fan of cross promotional events when they make sense for everyone involved. WWE stands to gain absolutely nothing by putting Sasha Banks on an NWA show, but NWA would benefit greatly because she's the biggest draw in wrestling.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I like Mickie but I have to agree with HHH on this one, unless there's a working agreement between companies I don't see why any company would offer their contracted talent to a show for another company.

Now I could understand AEW since they already have a working agreement, Impact also seems like they might be inclined to play nice based on having other working agreements already, but WWE would have nothing to gain from this, and a worst case scenario someone gets hurt working on another show. NWA doesn't really have much leverage in this situation since they don't have much to give and it'd be so one-sided in their favor if WWE were to want to do that.

Side note... if HHH wanted to be petty, this seems like the kind of time to set up a Mae Young Classic 3.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like Mickie but I have to agree with HHH on this one, unless there's a working agreement between companies I don't see why any company would offer their contracted talent to a show for another company.

Now I could understand AEW since they already have a working agreement, Impact also seems like they might be inclined to play nice based on having other working agreements already, but WWE would have nothing to gain from this, and a worst case scenario someone gets hurt working on another show. NWA doesn't really have much leverage in this situation since they don't have much to give and it'd be so one-sided in their favor if WWE were to want to do that.

Side note... if HHH wanted to be petty, this seems like the kind of time to set up a Mae Young Classic 3.
Exactly. If they sent Sasha and she got injured, it would fuck up plans for the entire summer, including a potential Smackdown Women's Title rematch at SummerSlam, which would draw a shitload of money in front of a fully packed crowd. NWA can't reimburse a million dollars in revenue without going bankrupt.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. To this day I have no idea why tony lets his talent wrestle on Indy shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, imagine if Brian Cage gets injured wrestling in a bingo hall in St. Pete Florida in front of 30 people in the midst of his face push. Rey Fenix has been injured multiple times while wrestling shows in Mexico, yet Tony still allows this nonsense.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
not a fan of HHH at all
but I have to agree with him 100% on the contract argument
cross promotional things are not as good as they sound
they always end up serving one side over the other

and I have to agree with Thunder Rosa on the Global Talent argument
there's no way only one company will have the absolute best in every style

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a fan of HHH at all
but I have to agree with him 100% on the contract argument
cross promotional things are not as good as they sound
they always end up serving one side over the other

and I have to agree with Thunder Rosa on the Global Talent argument
there's no way only one company will have the absolute best in every style
If that were true, Triple H wouldn't have scouts in Japan looking to snatch the best women's wrestlers like Kairi and Io several years ago, and Meiko Satomura now. Everyone is making points here.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Biggest ever women's wrestling show was 1994's Big Egg Wrestling Universe in the Tokyo Dome. Wrestlers from AJW, GAEA, JWP, LLPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro and Madusa defending the WWF title were all on the card. The popularity of women's wrestling in Japan after that dipped but the show itself is a benchmark for woman's wrestling. It did business not even New or All Japan could match at the time.

An interpromotional international tournament is something the wrestlers would want to take part in and there would be plenty of fan interest. Neither WWE or AEW's womens divisions are thriving, they could both do with a boost and take part in something fresh.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yeah, imagine if Brian Cage gets injured wrestling in a bingo hall in St. Pete Florida in front of 30 people in the midst of his face push. Rey Fenix has been injured multiple times while wrestling shows in Mexico, yet Tony still allows this nonsense.
Delete. I was going to say the same as you. I didn´t saw the second part of the post lol

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Biggest ever women's wrestling show was 1994's Big Egg Wrestling Universe in the Tokyo Dome. Wrestlers from AJW, GAEA, JWP, LLPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro and Madusa defending the WWF title were all on the card. The popularity of women's wrestling in Japan after that dipped but the show itself is a benchmark for woman's wrestling. It did business not even New or All Japan could match at the time.

An interpromotional international tournament is something the wrestlers would want to take part in and there would be plenty of fan interest. Neither WWE or AEW's womens divisions are thriving, they could both do with a boost and take part in something fresh.
Goldberg and Hogan drew 7 million viewers in 1998. Kenny Omega should have no problem matching this with Orange Cassidy.

Did that sound ridiculous to you? Now read your post out loud and think about what you just said.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Goldberg and Hogan drew 7 million viewers in 1998. Kenny Omega should have no problem matching this with Orange Cassidy.

Did that sound ridiculous to you? Now read your post out loud and think about what you just said.
The success of any interpromotional show would be relative to the current state of the business.

I don't know what things you're conflating in your head from my post. Your point is irrelevant to the topic.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The success of any interpromotional show would be relative to the current state of the business.

I don't know what things you're conflating in your head from my post. Your point is irrelevant to the topic.
If you think an interpromotional NWA pay-per-view in 2021 is drawing anything close to what either WWE or AEW would with their own women's divisions doing literally anything, including blowing bubbles, based on 27 year old data from a time period when wrestling was booming, I've got some oceanfront property in Idaho for sale.

·
Registered
29,201 Posts
If you think an interpromotional NWA pay-per-view in 2021 is drawing anything close to what either WWE or AEW would with their own women's divisions doing literally anything, including blowing bubbles, based on 27 year old data from a time period when wrestling was booming, I've got some oceanfront property in Idaho for sale.
I think you're missing the point. The point he's making isn't that the hypothetical new international interpromotional thing would be the new biggest thing ever. But that it could be a very big thing, just off the strength of all these brands coming together.

NWA doing a tournament by itself isn't a big deal. But if they could go "We have Britt Baker and Shida showing up from AEW. We have Maki Itoh and the top Shimmer girl showing up. Oh and BTW the way we have Asuka, Io Shirai, Sasha Banks, and Becky Lynch showing up". Then suddenly you got a fuck ton of people interested in women's wrestling intrigued and possibly willing to tune in.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you're missing the point. The point he's making isn't that the hypothetical new international interpromotional thing would be the new biggest thing ever. But that it could be a very big thing, just off the strength of all these brands coming together.

NWA doing a tournament by itself isn't a big deal. But if they could go "We have Britt Baker and Shida showing up from AEW. We have Maki Itoh and the top Shimmer girl showing up. Oh and BTW the way we have Asuka, Io Shirai, Sasha Banks, and Becky Lynch showing up". Then suddenly you got a fuck ton of people interested in women's wrestling intrigued and possibly willing to tune in.
To say AEW and WWE women's divisions aren't thriving and then suggesting they show up to an NWA pay-per-view to generate buzz is disingenuous. No matter how much either promotion is struggling with their women's divisions, NWA will need their women infinitely more than WWE and AEW will need the buzz (that they themselves would largely create) of an interpromotional tournament to elevate their status.

·
Registered
29,201 Posts
To say AEW and WWE women's divisions aren't thriving and then suggesting they show up to an NWA pay-per-view to generate buzz is disingenuous. No matter how much either promotion is struggling with their women's divisions, NWA will need their women infinitely more than WWE and AEW will need the buzz (that they themselves would largely create) of an interpromotional tournament to elevate their status.
Oh for sure NWA need the help. But their low status would be irrelevant as they'd have WWE and AEW women as a part of their event.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
So you're saying he's not wrong because a WWE star would have nothing to gain in a NWA tournament but in a other thread you said that AEW should send Cargill do the NWA women tournament....
Cargill would also have nothing to gain in a NWA tournament that nobody will watch, once you appear on AEW the only thing higher is RAW or Smackdown.

And like you said It would suck to see Cargill get injured in a useless NWA tournament.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree. To this day I have no idea why tony lets his talent wrestle on Indy shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically because he doesn't like doing house shows and his talent can't thrive off working 1 day a week (1 day every 2 weeks during covid this past year).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Every promotion is going to tout their level of talent. Triple-H is saying what he’s expected to say.

I’m just going to enjoy this women’s event that Mickie James and the NWA are doing, no matter what other companies are involved.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts