Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
You're Pretty Good
9,811 Posts
Oh he absolutely is.

Although hilariously I don't think Booker T should have won that match at WM 19. He was fast tracked out of nowhere into the title picture and there were plenty of guys on that Raw roster more capable of being the guy. That said when the angle took a racist turn you can't have the racist win.

Shouldn't have been the feud for the title anyway - Main event should have been Michaels vs Jericho. Two guys who lost the title to the burying machine. They had the most intriguing feud and the best match.

I don't think Goldberg was buried either. In fact I think he run with the WWE was fine and his contract should have been renewed. The hatred it gets is overblown.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Oh he absolutely is.

Although hilariously I don't think Booker T should have won that match at WM 19. He was fast tracked out of nowhere into the title picture and there were plenty of guys on that Raw roster more capable of being the guy. That said when the angle took a racist turn you can't have the racist win.

Shouldn't have been the feud for the title anyway - Main event should have been Michaels vs Jericho. Two guys who lost the title to the burying machine. They had the most intriguing feud and the best match.

I don't think Goldberg was buried either. In fact I think he run with the WWE was fine and his contract should have been renewed. The hatred it gets is overblown.
Yeah I agree with the bottom, I mean if Goldberg is only staying for a year then why shouldn't he lost to Triple H? It's not like Goldberg was the future, HHH is the guy who is sticking around for the longer term and can actually wrestle the WWE style main events.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I agree with the bottom, I mean if Goldberg is only staying for a year then why shouldn't he lost to Triple H? It's not like Goldberg was the future, HHH is the guy who is sticking around for the longer term and can actually wrestle the WWE style main events.
I had no problem with HHH getting his win back against Goldberg. He still had no business going over in the Elimination Chamber match. But he knew what he was doing - killing Goldberg's momentum, minimising the importance of his eventual title win, and getting the win on the show that had more eyes on it. Nobody gives a shit about Unforgiven.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I had no problem with HHH getting his win back against Goldberg. He still had no business going over in the Elimination Chamber match. But he knew what he was doing - killing Goldberg's momentum, minimising the importance of his eventual title win, and getting the win on the show that had more eyes on it. Nobody gives a shit about Unforgiven.
Right how do you know that was HHH's call? Does he write the shows and has complete control in 2003? Maybe Vince thought HHH cheating to win and then beating Goldberg up after the match would get more interest in the chase? Just because Triple H the character wins, that isn't proof that Triple H the man is burying anyone.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Scott Steiner- Consider has one of the Worst Royal Rumble Matches. Not because of HHH , but because Steiner was limited at this point.

Booker T- Agree that Booker T should of won at WrestleMania.

Kevin Nash- Next!

Goldberg- Wasn’t Going to be there for the long term. Goldberg won at Unforgiven, but had to drop the belt at SS. The Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg dream match had to happen.

HBK- Triple H had to win so he can put over the RR winner.

Chris Benoit- Tap out in the middle of the ring. That’s right, Tap Out!!! HBK didn’t take the fall, no fuck finish. Triple H put Benoit over. Actually Triple H put over Benoit during the next PPV too.

Eugene- Summer long feud with fucking Eugene of all people.

Randy Orton- Yeah Triple H won the belt back at the end of the year. Why? Because 2004 Face Randy Orton SUCKED!!! He was not over and they turned him back to Heel soon after. So Triple H won the belt back so they could put over the next Face.

Elimination Chamber- Triple H won because WWE was building up the betrayal story with Batista.

Batista- Triple H put over Batista twice.

After his feud with Batista, Triple H got hurt and was gone most of the year.

Where in 03-05 was Triple H burying everybody?

·
Registered
365 Posts
First response and just one wild crack after another lol
Who are you lol and who said I didn't like SmackDown? Pointing out shit people blatantly forget about SmackDown in an effort to pretend it spread a bunch of top guy build isn't the same as not liking it. Fans like you love to pick and choose shit. It makes no sense to down Raw for it's heavy focus on one guy in HHH, just to praise SmackDown as if it didn't heavily focus on one guy in Lesnar.
The argument was how much of a strangle hold one star had over a show. Your "what about" argument for Lesnar being on top for 1 and half year is not comparable. Smackdown had a great program from top to bottom even their cruiserweight division had Matt Hardy V1, Mysterio and even freaking Taijiri looked like a beast with his yakuza cliq.

Lesnar, Angle, Undertaker, Cena, Benoit, Mysterio, Matt Hardy, Big Show, Eddie, Edge,
SD was a much stronger show than Raw. Everyone had good development.

Hell even your counter example is flawed if you say SmackDown heavily focused on Eddie, JBL, and Cena in 2004. Then it's easy to point out how Raw in 2004 gave heavy focus to HHH, HBK, and Benoit if we're doing just 3 examples. Hell in 2004 both shows title belt was only on 3 people. On SmackDown you had Brock, Eddie, then JBL as champ. On Raw you had HHH, Benoit, and Orton as champ. But it's easier to make a point about the variert of SmackDown as opposed to Raw, when you boil down Raw to solely what HHH was doing while ignoring the midcard, tag, and women then compare it to everything going on SmackDown be it midcard, tag, and Cruiserweight shit.
Smackdown had good variety year to year. remind me when JBL was in the spot light for 5-6 years at a time.

As far as the apologist shit, am I supposed to be offended. I criticize what I feel should be criticized like the lack of an actual midcard or meh stories. What I don't so is whine eternally about it's totally unfair my favorite lost a match, especially not when that match happened in the mid to early fucking 2000s lol. I mean imagine crying about a match result 15+ years later.
And learn to read the post you quoted literally points out that Brock left in 2004 and JBL picked up his spot in 2004
Nahh u said Brock on top 2002-2004 u made it sound like it was 3 years.

·
Registered
22,242 Posts
First response and just one wild crack after another lol

The argument was how much of a strangle hold one star had over a show. Your "what about" argument for Lesnar being on top for 1 and half year is not comparable. Smackdown had a great program from top to bottom even their cruiserweight division had Matt Hardy V1, Mysterio and even freaking Taijiri looked like a beast with his yakuza cliq.

Lesnar, Angle, Undertaker, Cena, Benoit, Mysterio, Matt Hardy, Big Show, Eddie, Edge,
SD was a much stronger show than Raw. Everyone had good development.

Smackdown had good variety year to year. remind me when JBL was in the spot light for 5-6 years at a time.

Nahh u said Brock on top 2002-2004 u made it sound like it was 3 years.

No one man needed to carry a show.

From 2002-2005 there was no one wrestler carrying the Smackdown show and most would agree Smackdown was a much better show than Raw at that time. Its not a coincidence. SD had Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Lesnar, Rey, Cena, eddie jbl etc .

Raw had HHH and even HBK looked like a side character most times. This idea that HHH was the only fit lone person to push this boat was not true. When in fact he kicked most of the crew off that boat.
This is your post so you are in fact the one who brought up SmackDown.

You can't go "SmackDown had a full show blah blah Matt Hardy" while ignoring the rest of Raw. Ignoring the rest of Raw means you're ignoring Trish, Lita, Jazz, and Victoria which was a strong women's division. You're ignoring legend killer Orton, Chris Jericho, RVD, Christian becoming a credible midcard guy, Booker T, Booker T and Goldust, Kane and Hurricane/RVD. It's a double standard for no reason to leave out the rest of Raw.

Be consistent if we're focusing on the entirety of the show then focus on the entirety of the show. If we're focusing on solely the main event scene acknowledge that SmackDown had a similar issue of focusing heavily on pushing one guy as top champ. First it was Lesnar then it was JBL.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Was Chris Jericho mentioned in this post? Jericho should've been champion far more times than he was in the mid 2000s. And I never was crazy about Jericho as a face. But if Triple H lost to a guy like Benoit, Jericho could've taken it off him. I don't really see the point of putting the belt on Orton other than the fact that they wanted to make a historical moment of him being "the youngest champion ever" I know Jericho took some time off later on but damn he was robbed of being put off of the Upper card scene. I was lurking around the forums in the early 2000s. There was quite a bit of heat for HHH obviously, Lesnar and Goldberg as well. Alot of Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho marks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cena only putting four people over in fifteen years doesn't change Triple H only putting three people over in ten.

(I shouldn't have to say these are hyperbolic numbers, but I will anyway)
Can you name them please? The "four" of Cena & "three" of HHH? Just out of curiosity, want to know who are the lucky ones according to you? Since we are talking about the two biggest burial merchants of WWE history (excluding HBK,Taker & Hogan of course).

·
Registered
221 Posts
More on HHH ingratiating himself with Vince before Stephanie came into the picture: 411MANIA | Triple H Says He Was Already Working Creatively With Vince McMahon Before He Met Stephanie, Says Vince Tagged Him In

The way he words this, he was Vince's go-to guy at one point during the Attitude era when a slew of writers had left.

I don't buy what he's selling about not sticking his beak in re: his own creative either. It's common knowledge that he tried to get himself booked in The Rock's spot at WM 1999.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
people seem to forget triple h was the 1 guy holding that shit afloat along with undertaker after rock and austin left they needed guys on top while they took their time building up batista,cena,orton

all the guys triple h beat were either too old or not ready just because you got a push doesn't mean your ready for the strap no bigger example than 2004 randy orton

and RVD proved years later he couldn't handle it

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
people seem to forget triple h was the 1 guy holding that shit afloat along with undertaker after rock and austin left they needed guys on top while they took their time building up batista,cena,orton

all the guys triple h beat were either too old or not ready just because you got a push doesn't mean your ready for the strap no bigger example than 2004 randy orton

and RVD proved years later he couldn't handle it
Did you get this from the recent RA bullshit that they released? lol

His '02-'05 run is one of the main reasons why a lot of fans stopped watching the show. When SD, the B show, that mostly consist of young talent and technical wrestlers, was kicking Raw's ass(the main show, the show where all the established stars are) in ratings you know it's bad. Raw was centered around HHH and Evolution at that time, and pretty much non of the other main-eventers was given the ball.

·
Registered
22,242 Posts
Did you get this from the recent RA bullshit that they released? lol

His '02-'05 run is one of the main reasons why a lot of fans stopped watching the show. When SD, the B show, that mostly consist of young talent and technical wrestlers, was kicking Raw's ass(the main show, the show where all the established stars are) in ratings you know it's bad. Raw was centered around HHH and Evolution at that time, and pretty much non of the other main-eventers was given the ball.
SmackDown didn't beat Raw in the ratings nearly as long as you're implying.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Yeah I also think that rather than shitting on RAW, you have to give credit for how good Smackdown was back then. The Smackdown 6 were killing it and they had Brock Lesnar who had the WWE Title while RAW had to build a brand new World Championship.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
SmackDown didn't beat Raw in the ratings nearly as long as you're implying.
Thanks for proving my point. Raw didn't catch up tell Feb-March of 2003, around that time is when Rock cameback and switched to Raw, Austin cameback, had a program with Rock, retired, and became the co GM, and that's when they signed Goldberg, and that's when Nash cameback, and that's also when Shawn became a full time wrestler again. It took all those things to make it a little bit more competitive., but considering how star studded Raw already was compared to SD, they should be ashamed of themselves that there was even a competition between the two shows.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts