Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CM Punk's controversial promo on June 27: "Punk said something about doofus, but he called John Laurinitis douchebag, which is way worse, right? The joke in the back was "at least I'm just a doofus, you're a douchebag." If you look at it from that standpoint, he called me a doofus, Stephanie an idiot and Johnny a douchebag, and everyone said "Oh my God!" He tore the roof off the place! He ripped the veil off! And it was like the most crazy promo of all time!" 5 years ago, no one would have blinked. That would have been a tame segment. Everyone would have looked at that promo and said "So what?" he didn't say anything. In order for that to get the reaction that it did, we had to go where it had to go.

"I think sometimes, people think we bumble through this. Especially, and I don't mean this disparagingly, the internet fan I think sometimes thinks that we throw darts at the wall and fumble around to see what we can come up with next. I mean there is actually a plan to a lot of this stuff, but things change. It's live television, and people react certain ways and things don't happen the way you expect them too, and you have to make changes. But there is a plan to a lot of this."

Midcard talent possibly being affected by WWE's rebranding: "Well I don't think the end of the brands is here at all. I think it's for a period of time, it's trying to give the best shows that we can. If I was a mid-card guy or lower end, certainly I would look at that and go "Oh man, the spot that could have been mine is now Randy Orton's". To me, I'm a big believer, You know everyone thinks we make the stars. The guys make themselves. We follow what the fans want. Make yourself relevant. Go out and make yourself relevant. If you have been doing the same thing for years, and you have been getting the same reaction, and you're in the same spot, change. We tell the guys that all the time and yet they don't do it. We try to help them.

"There is just a different mentality, guys have to be willing and I think a lot of them think that they do, but they have to be willing to go out there and take it. They got to be willing to step on toes. They got to be willing to jump ahead. It's a business. Be willing to step up and not take no for an answer. I have been a big believer that if you're good enough, the cream rises to the top and you will get the spot."

The PG product: "We had pushed the envelope so far and you get to a point that after a while, its like, Vince will always use this expression, even though it was completely irrelevant from a timeframe standpoint, but we had "Chainsaw Charlie". Where do you go after a guy with a chainsaw? But there is a certain point and time where you heard all this stuff on TV you have to pull it back to a point where it almost becomes sterile to get back to a point where you can begin to touch the envelope again where people go "OOH! Like we made it so sterile, like when CM Punk said Ass for the first time, people were like "Oh My God, he said ass!" Where ass was said every 4 seconds for a while. We have to pull it back. Will we ever get where we were before? No, because the world has changed.

"I just don't think you can kind of do that programming now, with the way that the world is. We will never get back all the way there. But I think there is definitely a huge gap between where we were and where we went to. But I think for the right reasons. You have to get to a point where you almost sterilize it to make it seem edgy again. If you just back it off a little bit, it kind of seems a little watered down. So we just took it to where it needed to go to get it back to where it needed to be."
Great, insightful read and it's interesting to hear his take on things like the midcard guys and the stale product. Hopefully it's only up from here.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think everyone forgets that HHH was involved in the biggest kayfabe breaking of all time.
If you don't know what I mean > YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE IWC8*D

Anyways great read
The part about people make themselves is bullshit. Kind of hard to get over when you keep getting buried by Cena. Oh wait losing to cena is supposed to make you credible huh.
LOL

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
This is awfully familiar to an interview that Vince did a while back, talking about how they went from doing something like PG for a while to going back to an edgier side to make people say "OH MY, did he really just say that?" same old same old. :rolleyes:

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Trips always gives a good interview. Lol at the backstage joke about being a doofus while Johnny Ace was a douchebag!! Brilliant.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think everyone forgets that HHH was involved in the biggest kayfabe breaking of all time.
If you don't know what I mean > YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE IWC8*D
I don't actually. Care to elaborate?

Also thanks for this OP, a good read.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you were in support of Del Rio being champion?

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
I am, but come on. It's ridiculous that he's in the record book and Barrett isn't. It's just absurd. Barrett got more over on his first night on WWE television than Del Rio from winning the Rumble, MITB and the WWE title combined.

This dude is a star? Wrong. Nobody cares about him, but he's pushed as one of the top 5 guys in the company.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Excellent interview-the only eyebrow raising that I did from this read is this part.

You know everyone thinks we make the stars. The guys make themselves. We follow what the fans want. Make yourself relevant. Go out and make yourself relevant. If you have been doing the same thing for years, and you have been getting the same reaction, and you're in the same spot, change. We tell the guys that all the time and yet they don't do it. We try to help them.
For some reason I smell bullshit from this part, there are many times that mid-card talent try to get their opportunity to shine and step up to the plate, get more experience, try to learn and take notes from the veterans to see what they can improve on and try to come up with some pretty decent material to get themselves over but immediately get shut down from the WWE authorities. It’s a cut throat business and the only way you going to make it in this business if someone in the back are high on you or most importantly Vince McMahon adores you.

There are ton of guys are stepping on toes to get the spot but unless a WWE authority figure is in your favor somehow, you ain’t going nowhere but stay in the mid-card. WWE is not giving these guys a chance to shine, there is a reason why fans don’t give a damn about any wrestler other then John Cena and Randy Orton or whoever is in the main event.

But hey what do I know, good read nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent interview-the only eyebrow raising that I did from this read is this part.

For some reason I smell bullshit from this part, there are many times that mid-card talent try to get their opportunity to shine and step up to the plate, get more experience, try to learn and take notes from the veterans to see what they can improve on and try to come up with some pretty decent material to get themselves over but immediately get shut down from the WWE authorities. It’s a cut throat business and the only way you going to make it in this business if someone in the back are high on you or most importantly Vince McMahon adores you.

There are ton of guys are stepping on toes to get the spot but unless a WWE authority figure is in your favor somehow, you ain’t going nowhere but stay in the mid-card. WWE is not giving these guys a chance to shine, there is a reason why fans don’t give a damn about any wrestler other then John Cena and Randy Orton or whoever is in the main event.

That part made me side-eye him a little too. Fair enough there are some guys who get given chances to get over and make impact, but what about the ones who only get time on Superstars or NXT? Or the ones who don't get time at all? It's hard to impress on the main stage if you're never on the main stage. It's even harder when you're on it, but you're only there to fill time/make Cena or Orton look good.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Sterilise it to make it edgy again. You know that's true, because if you keep trying to go further and further to keep fans interested it just gets tacky, so it's smart to 'go back to go forwards'.

However the thing I take issue with is this

You know everyone thinks we make the stars. The guys make themselves. We follow what the fans want. Make yourself relevant. Go out and make yourself relevant. If you have been doing the same thing for years, and you have been getting the same reaction, and you're in the same spot, change. We tell the guys that all the time and yet they don't do it. We try to help them
As grateful as I am for the exposure they gave Zack Ryder this RAW, wasn't he punished for doing just that? You can't say being omitted from a three hour show in your hpmetown wasn't exactly that. Especially if those rumours were true of him being told he was getting a huge script and storyline. I think WWE are still the same in that aspect.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

Will never forget how MVP was screwed at SS 2010, man that was the biggest BS I have seen in a while.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts