Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear that Triple H was the worst in 2003 as far as being a title hog and dominating. But really, if you look at most of his competition that year, it's no wonder.

Just looking at his ppv matches, his main rivalries were Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Booker T and Goldberg.

Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash are guys that you wouldnt really want as a world champion, at least IMO. Booker T should have won, I will give you that. And Goldberg won the championship from him in September.

What made Triple H so horrible during that year, honestly?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
inb4hegavehimselfthosematches

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Nothing really. He played the heel part perfectly and people just hated him cuz he was always champ and inserting his peNor into Steph. Shawn Michaels would of been a good man to be champion, but he clearly did not want the belt, and he was faceing Triple H most of the time anyways.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Nothing. He did his fucking job. You know how many people hate Triple H because of 2003? He was a great heel. I loved Triple H's run with Flair from 2002-2004 more than anything he has done since then. He also had a great match with Booker T at WrestleMania and had some decent matches with Goldberg.

All the little Goldberg marks hate Triple H cause he BERRIED their 178-0 hero because rassling is still real to them, but they should face facts. Goldberg was a 1 trick pony and a shitty wrestler.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
He also had Kane and RVD. I would've put RVD over for the belt, who was perpetually over as all hell and very marketable IMO.

I think he get so much crap for this era because he continually underperformed in main events and spent tv show after tv show trotting out long 10 minute promos about how great he was.

His RR match against Steiner was easily the worst title match, if not worst match of the year. Trips has to take most of the blame for that considering Steiner had been on the shelf and was broken down big time, and Trips was meant to be the big main event veteran.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
All the little Goldberg marks hate Triple H cause he BERRIED their 178-0 hero because rassling is still real to them, but they should face facts. Goldberg was a 1 trick pony and a shitty wrestler.
So i guess i was hallucinating the crowd going crazy for Goldberg in the chamber match that year, then completely silent when the golden boy won by sledgehammer for the 500th time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah, most of those matches were pretty bad. I didn't watch wrestling then but having watched the PPVs now it seemed like every month he'd beat the next contender, usually in a very similar way to what he did at the last PPV. He wasn't doing anything new or interesting, just using interference from Flair to keep the title.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Steiner's entire 2003 WWE run was garbage. You can't blame Triple H for that.
True Steiner was garbage, but if Trips was the modern day Ric Flair like he thought he was he would've gotten better matches out of him.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
eh, HE was great. him personally.

but when you're having main event matches with Steiner, Nash, and Goldberg for most of the year, you're not exactly going to churn out top quality stuff.

his promos were fantastic though, and the way they wrote the evolution stuff by itself was gold. the feuds were not. the WWE just kept bringing in people (the three mentioned above) as "that ultimate one who HHH couldn't beat" and they all went the same way, and it was annoying. Steiner was the worst one though, that was beyond embarrassing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
To me, the whole year just seemed too dark and hopeless on the RAW side.

It was like the complete opposite of what we see today where 9 times out of 10, they send the fans home happy by having Cena, Orton, or somebody come off with the big win to close the show.

In 2003, Trips was always closing the show, cheating to win, with no viable contenders on the horizon. There was just never, or very rarely was there ever a happy ending. The rest of the show was pretty dismal too. Bischoff was the GM, and pretty much making all of the faces lives a living hell. It was like the damn apocalypse.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
So i guess i was hallucinating the crowd going crazy for Goldberg in the chamber match that year, then completely silent when the golden boy won by sledgehammer for the 500th time.
You are right Goldberg should have buried the entire WWE roster then left with the worst match of 2004 at WMXX and the WWE would have what to show for it exactly? Besides Goldberg came out looking strong because Triple H had to cheat to win anyway and he still took the strap at the next PPV. The whole point of Triple H being a heel was he was supposed to screw the face and piss of the fans. Which he clearly did a great job of.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
You are right Goldberg should have buried the entire WWE roster then left with the worst match of 2004 at WMXX and the WWE would have what to show for it exactly? Besides Goldberg came out looking strong because Triple H had to cheat to win anyway and he still took the strap at the next PPV. The whole point of Triple H being a heel was he was supposed to screw the face and piss of the fans. Which he clearly did a great job of.
First of all, I would suggest that if the Berg-man had not been BERRIED by Trips and co he wouldn't have left in 2004.

Second, that elimination chamber match was awesome IMO mainly due to Goldberg destroying everyone and the crowd was salivating for him to tear HHH apart - the WWE should've given the crowd what they wanted. The title match the next month was another of those lame RAW only PPVs which probably hardly anyone bought.

Anyhoo lets not argue we clearly have different views on this. That era was pretty much the lowpoint of Trips' career in the ring no matter who's fault it was.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I always hear that Triple H was the worst in 2003 as far as being a title hog and dominating. But really, if you look at most of his competition that year, it's no wonder.

Just looking at his ppv matches, his main rivalries were Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Booker T and Goldberg.

Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash are guys that you wouldnt really want as a world champion, at least IMO. Booker T should have won, I will give you that. And Goldberg won the championship from him in September.

What made Triple H so horrible during that year, honestly?
Understatement of the century. :lmao

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
It was a low point of The Games career, he buried everyone and the matches were horrible plus after his amazing run in 1999 and 2000, he had to be on top of his game when he came back from his quad injury.
I never got why Ric Flair and Triple H think he's was the new Ric flair around this time, i always got he was more a Harley Race type of kick ass wrestler more then anything and the slick suited up Triple h really sucked for me.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
lol @ Goldberg being buried at Summerslam.

He came out of that a f*ckin beast, to this day i still can't believe how quick he beat all 3 guys.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Because he held the title for too long and put on shitty matches that year. Yes, Hunter gets the blame because he was the champion and could've opted out of working with bad opponents if he wanted to. The worst part is he had terrible feuds with Steiner and Nash that somehow had rematches in them! Good grief!

Seriously, had he lost to RVD and Booker T like he should've, I would give The Game less flack for his reign of doom.

- Vic

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Other than HBK, Booker, RVD, and Jericho no one on the Raw roster deserved the title that year. HHH stepped aside for Benoit in 2004, Batista in 2005, and Cena in 2006, give him some credit.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
LOL at some people actually believe Triple H could of gotten a good match out of Kevin “I hurt my quad” Nash, Big Poppa No Talent and Shitberg. No doubt that was the worst year of Triple H in-ring work and people tend to forget that Triple H suffered a groin injury for awhile that year so of course he had no chance in pulling out a good match with the likes of those three. That's why he was wearing those padding materials by his trunks. Another thing no one really mention of how FAT Triple H was during that year, he was horribly out of shape, he makes Matt Hardy look like he had Michelle McCool figure of a body. Triple H “look” also was horrible with him shaving his beard/mustache, it was a horrible year for Triple H.

The only thing that stood out the most from Triple H was his tweaked character, the modern day Ric Flair gimmick he had going, I was still entertained by that while he still kept his ruthless traits.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts