Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, in my book a traditional wrestling fan sort of is just like a regular watcher, not to into it like the IWC type of status. The ones who follow storylines like they are real, and that character is in real life as they are on screen. That's how I like to percieve the WWE, and I don't know if that's right of wrong. I do it sometimes, for instance.

I do not like people the WWE does not want me to like anymore. I do not like the new people, hell even some of the old people that aren't babyfaces, such as ADR, The Miz, Sheamus, or Kane. I like it when Kane is bad because it plays better with the monster gimmick, but I'd like Edge more in any instance. The only heels I've ever liked were The Rock, HBK, Triple H, Randy Orton, Edge, and right now I'm liking Dolph Ziggler, but Vickie still makes me puke in my mouth a little bit when I see her.

So now, I pose this question:

Q: Are you a 'Tradition Wrestling Fan' from the way I explained it? Or do you just like whoever based on gimmick or talent.

Just trying to start up some conversation and see what people have to say.

Thanks,
TeaZy.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
No I'm not a "traditional" wrestling fan by your standards.

I like a guy based on their gimmick, mic skills, ring skills, charisma, etc. It doesn't matter to me if they're face or heel but I do have a tendency to favor faces more now that I'm in the IWC though.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I'm somewhere in between, I generally prefer faces, especially non-cheesy ones, I go by sympathy but I also count in their ability to play their roles and deliver in the ring. Generally, if two guys are about as good, one's a face and the other a heel I will always cheer the face over the equally talented heel, because I see no reason to cheer a guy that wants me to dislike him in first place.

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
I'm pretty much neither one or the other to be honest. There'll be times when I'm completely gripped by a storyline (I.E the John Cena free-or-fired angle), and actually feel sorry for the protagonist. Most of the time though, if someone entertains me, be they heel or face, they'll be the ones I root for.

·
Registered
802 Posts
erm id say taht i am i wish they would bring back kayfabe however i do like the three main things that makes a wrestler. Build, in ring ability, and mic skills (promos) u have to have at least two to be anything but a gd wrestler. if any of you have read bret hearts book please dont do me for copy right haha

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The ones who follow storylines like they are real, and that character is in real life as they are on screen.
^ If that's what you call a "traditional wrestling fan", then I don't think I've ever been one. :confused: Perhaps when I was about 5 and saw Hulk Hogan on tv, but that's about it.

I guess it's a shame really. Obviously that's the whole point. Sometimes I annoy myself with how much I have to analyze the product and the psychology of the business, rather than just sitting back and enjoying it for what it is.

Most of my favourites are heels also, which I guess doesn't help matters either. My niece and I get like 100 little kids glaring at us like we're crazy when the likes of CM Punk or Dolph Ziggler or Maryse come out at houseshows and we're cheering for them. LOL. I don't think the WWE are solely focused on that traditional way of thinking anymore though. Tweeners and the like wouldn't exist then otherwise.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I cheer for who I want to, whether face or heel. My big thing is gimmick and talent without question. The problem is that sometimes these days it doesn't matter whether someone is good or bad and people are sometimes going to cheer or boo them regardless. The Rock, John Cena, and Randy Orton are perfect examples.

·
Registered
802 Posts
^ If that's what you call a "traditional wrestling fan", then I don't think I've ever been one. :confused: Perhaps when I was about 5 and saw Hulk Hogan on tv, but that's about it.

I guess it's a shame really. Obviously that's the whole point. Sometimes I annoy myself with how much I have to analyze the product and the psychology of the business, rather than just sitting back and enjoying it for what it is.

Most of my favourites are heels also, which I guess doesn't help matters either. My niece and I get like 100 little kids glaring at us like we're crazy when the likes of CM Punk or Dolph Ziggler or Maryse come out at houseshows and we're cheering for them. LOL. I don't think the WWE are solely focused on that traditional way of thinking anymore though. Tweeners and the like wouldn't exist then otherwise.
totally agree

·
LIVE ACTION!
1,436 Posts
When I'm at home enjoying the show from my TV, I cheer for whomever I like more and feel is more talented ... but when I attend the show live, I may be repping merch of a bad guy (Wore Miz to NOC and Sheamus to 9/20-9/27 RAWs) but I flip on my super-mark mode and always cheer for the good guys.

As someone said up a few posts, these guys get paid to be boo'd or cheered and I think that is why I boo and cheer the heels/faces respectively when I'm there in person.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I just like whatever characters entertain me, be it face or heel. Morrison cant talk for shit but he does cool moves so i like him. Miz stinks as a wrestler but he has a lot of personality, and I like him as well. There are faces and heels who are good and who suck. Unless the storyline is something really good, It is just the individual characters that I follow. And i'd say that is probably more traditional (for anyone over the age of 10 or so) than how you described traditional. I doubt most casuals can detail angles or storylines from the past, but they can tell you about funny shit that the rock said one night, or rave about how bad ass the undertaker's entrance was at wrestlemania. Hell, I don't know how many angles / storylines I can remember and I've been watching pretty regularly forever.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I don't really think about it to be honest. I won't sit there and criticize every single aspect of a wrestler, then base my like for them upon that. If I watch them and I like them, that's that. Take John Morrison, for example. I know the guy isn't great at talking, but that doesn't bother me because I love watching him. I like The Miz because he's hilarious and entertaining. I like Randy Orton because he's badass. The list goes on. I don't know why so many people here are so critical. Just try watching it for what it is, without thinking critically about someone's mic skills and in ring ability, you might be surprised at how much you actually enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Good post, but IMO a traditional wrestling fan is simply a guy who enjoys him some rasslin', with matches having decisive (if shady) finishes, little to no theatrics or over-the-top storylines, and guys who deliver in their matches rather than promos.

As for me personally, though, I basically just enjoy watching anybody who I think has talent. Whether a guy is heel or face, I can always appreciate a good seller in the ring and a guy who can get the crowd going just by speaking.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
They took me jewb

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
Sound like a mark to me

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
A traditional wrestling fan is someone who follows companies that follow tradition

unlike wwe where tradition gets tossed aside while the crediblility of an entire industry goes down with it

the people you describe as "traditional" fans are just regular people getting duped, becoming victims of the sports entertainment marketing machine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts