Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Rollin' under the melody, Rockin' over the beat
1,463 Posts
It's not really surprising consider how popular and convenient online shopping is.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
We're eventually going to get to the point where no humans are involved from ordering an item online to receiving the item at home. A fully automated factory will get the order ready for a drone to fly it to you. This is just another sign of the future we're headed towards that doesn't require human labor anymore.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,642 Posts
We're eventually going to get to the point where no humans are involved from ordering an item online to receiving the item at home. A fully automated factory will get the order ready for a drone to fly it to you. This is just another sign of the future we're headed towards that doesn't require human labor anymore.
Yep, pretty cool.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
Well of you're going to order cheap Chinese shit and sell it at a brick and mortar store with all the overheads in an era where parents can directly order online and still charge prices that are the same as your brick and mortar shop, them you're a poor businessman and deserve to be put out of business.

The reason why something costs 50 bucks in a store is because ot costs that much to ship/distribute and run a business. But if you're selling the same shit online for 50 bucks and charging shipping then you're gouging.

These companies should have adapted a decade ago. They didnt. They deserve to be put out of business.

Small entrepreneurs like me are selling out of our homes on eBay in direct competition with these idiots and have no sympathy for them. We have a better business model.

Seemed inevitable. Online shopping is killing all kinds of stores. Toys R Us isn't the first to go under, they won't be the last.

Just feel bad for all those people who are gonna lose their jobs.
What's stopping these store workers from running their own small businesses? Retail isn't supposed to be a career unless you own it.

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
What position do you need to be in to become an entrepreneur tho?
Start up money's a major one lol and time. Time to build a business from the ground up, time for the business to grow were you can put money into it but not get any back, time to commit yourself to the business, in some cases time to build the contacts and costumer base needed to sustain a business, time to tap into a market and cement your place in it.

As I'm sure you're aware building and running a business is a lot of hard work lol

Also lot of people aren't in the position where if the business fails they can just move on and do something else, and most startup businesses fail, not everyone can take that risk.

Plus just plan ambition and ability, not everyone wants to, or is even capable of, building a business.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,349 Posts
It's been talked about for the past 15 years!

This is why European birth decline was a good thing.

The problem is people bought into the Globalist nonsense about declining birth rates being super scary and spooky!

Yet in 20-30 years when automation takes over and everyone can order stuff get it delivered etc those people who they brought over to Europe to up declining birthrates will still be jobless and unneeded.

We're at the point in history where much like the car replacing the horse, you got people trying to stall this future and keep to their cheap human labor. Eventually machines will replace people and all those people will be without jobs.

Places like Mexico etc who took American jobs will be hurting hard as eventually machines will be cheaper than those workers and the plants will come back to America where they mass produce products and ship them to warehouses.

Warehouses and plants will need people but not as much and delivery drivers will go up. I cannot see the USPS/Fed Ex and UPS being the only game in town soon.

In 20-30 years Governments will be paying people to stop having kids because they won't be needed and they're not even needed now. Sooner we transition the better.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
Start up money's a major one lol and time. Time to build a business from the ground up, time for the business to grow were you can put money into it but not get any back, time to commit yourself to the business, in some cases time to build the contacts and costumer base needed to sustain a business, time to tap into a market and cement your place in it.

As I'm sure you're aware building and running a business is a lot of hard work lol

Also lot of people aren't in the position where if the business fails they can just move on and do something else, and most startup businesses fail, not everyone can take that risk.

Plus just plan ambition and ability, not everyone wants to, or is even capable of, building a business.
TBH, I had all these reservations before I started building my business. Now I admit that without my partner's solid income, I would be working a regular job myself, but then at the same time if I'm working retail and thinking that my life's at risk if I lose my retail job, then I'm already doing something wrong :shrug

I'm not looking down at retail workers or their hardships. I just think that while people are in retail, they really should be working on building something better for themselves.

You don't need a lot of ambition in life. If you have the ambition to struggle at retail (which is really a shit tier job which requires a LOT of hardwork anyways), you already have the majority of ability, skills and dedication needed to work for yourself. The only thing people have that really inhibits them is fear. They already have the rest of the skills needed and at least within the age of 20-35, most banks are willing to hand out small business loans - and now we have crowd funding that is raising billions of charity dollars for businesses. Money that you don't even have to pay back as long as you have an idea that people believe in.

The failure of business and startups is based on gross over-exaggerations imo. Why would I assume that I would be one of the failures when something like HUGE percentage succeed. I look at the number of people who succeed and not the number of people who fail. But then, that is part of the overall confidence I have and so I can understand that while I see the glass as half full, others see it as half empty.

The end goal for everyone should be to be a capitalist and creator of wealth and not just a consumer and spender of wealth.

In 20-30 years Governments will be paying people to stop having kids because they won't be needed and they're not even needed now. Sooner we transition the better.
The question that gets less attention is that we should be asking how far away we are from building a machine that can fix a machine. I believe that as long as machines exist that need fixing and operating, human labor will never not be required.

It took more than 20k+ workers to restore Florida's most basic infrastructure after Irma. I have no reason to believe that we'll have robots that are so human-like that they could climb up a pole and fix a downed wire or even fix a toilet :lol

Labor and jobs are not getting automated until we have AI and we're nowhere close to developing AI that can troubleshoot. Labor jobs are going nowhere.

·
TEAM FLAIR FLOP
950 Posts
I wasn't surprised to hear this, when they started opening Toys R Us stores in the UK, there was concern that it would drive the smaller toy chains out of business, which it did. Now they have become the victims of online convenience.

From my point of view, it's just another example of how insular we are becoming as a society. I have very many happy memories of taking my kids to toy stores when they were small, it was a fun thing to do together. I guess a lot of parents don't put down their smart phones for long enough to actually interact with their children nowadays, so buying them shit online to keep them quiet is the way of the future.

Yesterday I actually saw a phone zombie pushing her kid in a push chair, and her kid was on a phone too. They were completely ignoring each other. You gotta love progress.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I wasn't surprised to hear this, when they started opening Toys R Us stores in the UK, there was concern that it would drive the smaller toy chains out of business, which it did. Now they have become the victims of online convenience.

From my point of view, it's just another example of how insular we are becoming as a society. I have very many happy memories of taking my kids to toy stores when they were small, it was a fun thing to do together. I guess a lot of parents don't put down their smart phones for long enough to actually interact with their children nowadays, so buying them shit online to keep them quiet is the way of the future.

Yesterday I actually saw a phone zombie pushing her kid in a push chair, and her kid was on a phone too. They were completely ignoring each other. You gotta love progress.
Just last night I took my daughter to a toy store called Mastermind Toys. It was great we got to play with a train set and got the beanie baby giraffe she wanted for her birthday. She was all smiles and belly laughs. It sucks that it appears another venerable franchise is going to disappear. I remember going to Toys R Us as a kid myself, it was some awesome times.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
The end of big toy stores also has something to do with the fact that the same toy that's at Toys R Us is sold online for a 20-30% discount online by retailers who are simply better at price competition. So parents are taking their kids to toy stores, they're just not buying from them and ordering instead.

If I know that the same thing that I can get at amazon for 20 bucks that Toys R Us is selling for 30 bucks, I'd be an idiot to buy it.

Case in point (literally the first toy I clicked on randomly on TRUS and then compared with Amazon)

(I did find some items that were cheaper at TRUS than Amazon btw so it does go both ways, but Amazon still beats them on free 2-day shipping and prime is cheap).

It's also better advertising, easily accessible reviews, reviews that actually have pictures taken by the consumers. There's like literally no reason at all left to buy from expensive brick and mortar stores. If you're using retail stores to buy shit that's available online cheaper, then you're a moron, sorry.

Kids are also adapting. They want the toys they want based on their own online activities too. Parents should actually be teaching their kids fiscal responsibility in how to get the best deals instead of pampering and enabling moronic buying habits instead :Shrug

·
TEAM FLAIR FLOP
950 Posts
The end of big toy stores also has something to do with the fact that the same toy that's at Toys R Us is sold online for a 20-30% discount online by retailers who are simply better at price competition. So parents are taking their kids to toy stores, they're just not buying from them and ordering instead.

If I know that the same thing that I can get at amazon for 20 bucks that Toys R Us is selling for 30 bucks, I'd be an idiot to buy it.

Case in point (literally the first toy I clicked on randomly on TRUS and then compared with Amazon)

(I did find some items that were cheaper at TRUS than Amazon btw so it does go both ways, but Amazon still beats them on free 2-day shipping and prime is cheap).

It's also better advertising, easily accessible reviews, reviews that actually have pictures taken by the consumers. There's like literally no reason at all left to buy from expensive brick and mortar stores. If you're using retail stores to buy shit that's available online cheaper, then you're a moron, sorry.

Kids are also adapting. They want the toys they want based on their own online activities too. Parents should actually be teaching their kids fiscal responsibility in how to get the best deals instead of pampering and enabling moronic buying habits instead :Shrug
In theory I agree with what you are saying, but a large part of my motivation as a person is fun. I try to get as much joy out of my life as I can. That applies to how I raised my kids as well. I actually would and have on occasion, paid a few bucks over the odds to take them to a store where they can have fun looking at the actual toys, play and give them the money to pay the cashier for the item themselves, which is something little kids like to do.

Lol. If that makes me a moron, I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
It's been talked about for the past 15 years!

This is why European birth decline was a good thing.

The problem is people bought into the Globalist nonsense about declining birth rates being super scary and spooky!

Yet in 20-30 years when automation takes over and everyone can order stuff get it delivered etc those people who they brought over to Europe to up declining birthrates will still be jobless and unneeded.

We're at the point in history where much like the car replacing the horse, you got people trying to stall this future and keep to their cheap human labor. Eventually machines will replace people and all those people will be without jobs.

Places like Mexico etc who took American jobs will be hurting hard as eventually machines will be cheaper than those workers and the plants will come back to America where they mass produce products and ship them to warehouses.

Warehouses and plants will need people but not as much and delivery drivers will go up. I cannot see the USPS/Fed Ex and UPS being the only game in town soon.

But what happens to these cheap labour? What happens to the people who never got an education, what happens to their families? What happens when society realizes that there's no need for these people, that they are better of dying then dragging down the economy?

In the past, there was a sort of natural balance. There was a demand for labour, and there were people who supplied that labour. However, what do you think happened when there were too many people for the jobs that existed? People and their families starved to death until there was finally just enough people for the jobs that existed. And in many cases, they lost their jobs specifically due to technological progress. As great as the invention of the printing press were, thousands of scribes lost their jobs and never recovered for example.

In the modern day, this doesn't happen anymore. Government handouts and the advancements in medical technologies meant that there's too many people for these jobs. Combine this with their culture of having lots of children(which is actually a good thing for a person, just not for the whole of society. People have lots of kids because the more kids you have, the more fo a chance they survive and take care of you in the future). But when you have too many people for your jobs, eventually people emmigrate and this is true in many
third world countries. That's what happens when people are too pro-life.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is this balance between the amount of jobs and the amount of people. Like it or not, a significant portion of the world's population is comprised of cheap labour. Advancements in technology can cause many of these cheap labour to be useless to society. And so there's literally nothing left for the majority of them. The government can choose to keep trying to give benefits to keep them all alive which isn't going to fix the problem in the long term, or they just have to starve to death so that it balances itself. Its ugly, but its reality.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
But if 80% of the population don't have jobs then who is going to buy these products?

I just see it as jobs are being rearranged. People will actually have to go to university/college to learn something meaningful :CENA

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.