Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been ok for over a decade to say WWE sucks and not have anyone white knight defending said company. If you even hint or foreshadow any element of AEW being poor you are labelled a troll or not understanding the business.
The vitriol from AEW fans reminds me of the tna section before it became a wilderness.
Wrestling can be awful regardless of which promotion it operates in. If you keep putting AEW on an untouchable pedestal then if it does fall the jackals will enjoy it even more.

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
The only people who think that people put aew on an untouchable pedestal are the try hard trolls who dont even watch AEW.

I have seen genuine criticism from regular viewers in this section. Then there are the goofballs who like to troll and act like they know what they are talking about. Imagine wasting time doing that.

Try harder slime

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,621 Posts
Yeah all of the vitriol and toxicity here is coming from a small subset of goons who just bash any and everything AEW does. And most of them even admit they dont watch the product, its insane.

The people who watch and have points that actually want a discussion dont have a problem. The trolls here are trying to create this reverse narrative that is complete bullshit.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,262 Posts
AEW fans are super sensitive to criticism, not so much of individual talent but of the format of the show itself. Suggest that matches should be shorter or there should be more promos/vignettes and you're "a wrestling hater who just wants to watch a bad soap opera so you should go back to WWE".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only people who think that people put aew are on an untouchable pedestal are the try hard trolls who dont even watch AEW.

I have seen genuine criticism from regular viewers in this section. Then there are the goofballs who like to troll and act like they know what they are talking about. Imagine wasting time doing that.

Try harder slime
You just proved my point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah all of the vitriol and toxicity here is coming from a small subset of goons who just bash any and everything AEW does. And most of them even admit they dont watch the product, its insane.

The people who watch and have points that actually want a discussion dont have a problem. The trolls here are trying to create this reverse narrative that is complete bullshit.
I watch both products and am incredibly sick and tired of "WWE is shit but give AEW a chance if it's shit". Just admit some elements are bad instead of being an attack dog against criticism ( not you specifically)

·
Banned
894 Posts
I've watched AEW a couple times. It's alright but certainly not anything I'd go out of my way to watch.
Which is very easy to comprehend to the rest of us, when conveyed this way. It's only when the negativity is brought up by the same users over and over again, swearing they'll never watch AEW, only to be back the following week, barking about what sucks now. The haters claim that AEW fans are in an echo chamber, when it's obviously the complete opposite.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,621 Posts
Which is very easy to comprehend to the rest of us, when conveyed this way. It's only when the negativity is brought up by the same users over and over again, swearing they'll never watch AEW, only to be back the following week, barking about what sucks now. The haters claim that AEW fans are in an echo chamber, when it's obviously the complete opposite.
Absolutely spot on.

·
Premium Member
16,586 Posts
It's been ok for over a decade to say WWE sucks and not have anyone white knight defending said company. If you even hint or foreshadow any element of AEW being poor you are labelled a troll or not understanding the business.
The vitriol from AEW fans reminds me of the tna section before it became a wilderness.
Wrestling can be awful regardless of which promotion it operates in. If you keep putting AEW on an untouchable pedestal then if it does fall the jackals will enjoy it even more.
Hi OP. You are right in that many users (definitely more than "a handful") are quick to shoot down any criticism. Often very dismissively and rudely. It's not OK and should not be the case, but that is the internet and the fan base (you already know).

You should still give your praise and critique the same. You can always block the repetitive respondents, those who make it clear they're not there to discuss but only argue and say "NO!". Just do so in good taste, which I find common sense but many struggle. This is the wrestling industry's chance to start fresh! If we keep ignoring the harsh, dismissive, troll-like users eventually they'll give up. Or, we put them on ignore.

Also understand, there are as many dismissive, pro-AEW no matter what people as there are incendiary, anti-AEW people who will go overboard. Then, there are tactful and welcoming to discussion threads and threads which are meant to be a mini-rant. Two drastic examples:

@RainmakerV2 made the Rhiho thread (Riho is a Disaster.) and went overboard. Rainmaker wasn't looking to discuss but just complain. They would have given multiple times Riho was bad, other people who could be better, why they're better, and then ask the forum for their opinion, initiating in discussion. This is not a discussion made in good faith.

However, I made a wonderful thread (Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling) about good reffing very early on. I gave things I liked, didn't liked, how AEW could improve....all without using extremes and shitting on their current product. I asked for feedback and got some in depth discussion. Shortly after, more ref threads popped up, Jericho is now known for having talked to the roster about obeying refs, and the gripe was legitimate.

If someone makes a thread where they completely crap on AEW, offer no alternatives, don't ask for opinions, and are demanding immediate changes, that's not a person who wants to discuss or improve AEW. They just want to think they know more than a billion dollar company.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love the product and watch every week. If I dislike something and don’t think it makes sense, such as having Omega jobbing when landing viewers is so important for a new show, especially when the target audience has never seen him and/or maybe never even heard of him.

And @Garty wants to call it shitposting and lumping it in with obvious troll-ish behavior. There is a lot of over the top negativity that I just ignore, but the outrageous overreactions to criticisms from the diehard AEW fans stick with me.

You’d think fans would be welcoming criticisms and encouraging discussions where minor flaws can be corrected to make for a better show.

·
WF's #1 AlphaMalePoster
260 Posts
You're always going to get the overly defensive dork types of posters.

I love AEW ( don't watch WWE at all) but i don't go around telling people what to like It's pretty wild these days.

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
You just proved my point.
in what way? I have also critiqued AEW several times - I am not a fan of the spotfests, I don't think the win loss thing is actually any good.

Genuine critiques that are not designed to bait people are available:
Then you have threads like this : Missed opportunities

@RapShepard is one of the most critical posters in this sxn, but actually you can see that he actually watches the product. One of the top posters in the sxn.

When someone mentions Sonny Kiss or Marko Stunt, you KNOW they don't watch the product. Lowcard jobbers that barely make appearances, but somehow get mentioned the most.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
occasional negative comments are fine but there are some posters that only offer negative comments, which I personally find a little annoying. (but not enough to block anyone)

From my observation, this section was peak toxicity in the first 5 weeks but has hit an okay balance.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
It's normal to say that AEW could do this or that better (everybody agree) but when someone have a total of 50 posts and all those 50 posts are basically shitting on the company then no, you're not needed or wanted here.

·
Registered
20,032 Posts
in what way? I have also critiqued AEW several times - I am not a fan of the spotfests, I don't think the win loss thing is actually any good.

Genuine critiques that are not designed to bait people are available:

Then you have threads like this : Missed opportunities

@RapShepard is one of the most critical posters in this sxn, but actually you can see that he actually watches the product. One of the top posters in the sxn.

When someone mentions Sonny Kiss or Marko Stunt, you KNOW they don't watch the product. Lowcard jobbers that barely make appearances, but somehow get mentioned the most.
I try to be measured with my negative criticism because I know I don't like the over the top comically negative stuff in the WWE section. I definitely don't get the hate watching thing either.
I think it's just how things are in general these days even outside of wrestling. It's seems like the only criticisms left most of the time are "This is the best thing ever" and "this is the worst thing ever". It's like there's no in-between lol.

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
I try to be measured with my negative criticism because I know I don't like the over the top comically negative stuff in the WWE section. I definitely don't get the hate watching thing either.
I think it's just how things are in general these days even outside of wrestling. It's seems like the only criticisms left most of the time are "This is the best thing ever" and "this is the worst thing ever". It's like there's no in-between lol.
Yeah man, I've been on WF since early TNA days and this forum has changed IMMENSELY. it really has become a cesspool overrun by trolls. Everywhere I've seen at least. Gone are the days when you could have a mature discussion where there is genuine criticism with people who actually watch the product. Just ask @Taroostyles

81 Posts
The toxicity is on both sides and I think this is just a byproduct of the times we currently live in. Everyone is at each other's throats whether it's politics, fandoms or anything else along those lines. The fact that there's so much acrimony over fake fighting is indicitive of how low we are as a society right now.

What is even more hilarious is that if you transported both AEW and the 2019 version of WWE back to the year 2000 along with their respective fanbases, they would both get utterly destroyed in the ratings by the 2000 version of WCW which pretty much says it all as far as the product both companies are putting out.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts