Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christopher McQuarrie Doesn't Want To Make Star Wars or Superhero Film Now

Christopher McQuarrie isn't interested in joining Star Wars or a superhero franchise anymore, and it's all thanks to the internet. McQuarrie has been a major force in Hollywood for the last two decades. After early pairings with Bryan Singer on Public Access and The Usual Suspects, he's become one of Tom Cruise's most frequent collaborators. He helped write Valkyrie, Edge of Tomorrow and The Mummy for Cruise, but also directed him in Jack Reacher, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, and again in the soon-to-be-released Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

With a string of hits, and another likely on the way with Fallout, fans have been excited for McQuarrie to possibly take on more major franchises. While he denied rumors he was involved with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, he's been open to the idea of joining DC. However, interest in both of these properties has vanished after he caught a glimpse at the vile tendency of fandom.

Thanks to some interaction on Twitter with Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson, McQuarrie saw what it is like to interact with portions of the Star Wars fan base. The responses McQuarrie saw were so mean spirited that he isn't sure how Rian deals with it on a daily basis. Going a step further, though, he says he's been "cured" from ever wanting to be involved with Star Wars. Not only that, but his disinterest has spread to superhero films as well.

McQuarrie is one of Hollywood's most talented directors and to know he's no longer interested in these blockbusters, thanks to the internet, is troublesome. This issue extends beyond just McQuarrie, however, as other writers, directors, and even actors may feel the same way, which could result in great opportunities being passed up because of fear of harassment. Online abuse is a problem that has only continued to grow with Millie Bobby Brown and Kelly Marie Tran being just a few people to experience this recently.

It isn't like McQuarrie wasn't eyeing these films before either. He went as far as to say all Henry Cavill had to do was ask and he'd re-team with his Fallout star to direct Man of Steel 2. There were even rumors of him possibly being in contention for Green Lantern Corps. Tom Cruise has been on the wish list for Hal Jordan for a while, so the chance to work together again could've lured them both. But, if McQuarrie truly doesn't have interest in dealing with this level of fandom, then he could pass on this opportunity. So, unless something changes dramatically, don't expect to see McQuarrie's name on a Star Wars, MCU, DCEU, or even an X-Men movie in the future.
Source: https://screenrant.com/christopher-mcquarrie-star-wars-superhero-movies-director/

I quite like a few movies in McQuarrie's filmography, especially Edge of Tomorrow and Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. It's a shame the thought of joining a Star Wars or superhero universe is not fun and the idea is so off putting to him due to the amount of vitriol that comes from a specific segment in the fandom. I remember when these films were dream projects for filmmakers.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
unironically describing someone as "toxic"

lmao

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Star Wars and DC movies I agree with, but when it comes to Marvel pretty much everyone spends their days applauding even the worst of their production. I'd suggest him to try with them, won't get as much hate as the other two franchises.

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
Directing a Star Wars film this day seems like it'd be a nightmare for reasons that have nothing to do with fans or social media.
Directing a Star Wars film this day also seems like it'd be a nightmare for reasons that are exclusively to do with fans and social media.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
It's the nature of the business sadly. I never thought I'd see a more pissy fanbase than comic book fans, but movie fans who think they're comic book fans despite never reading any are infinitely worse.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
This is stupid. If you don't want to get a lot of shit don't make bad movies. You'll always get a little regardless of what you do just because of social media but it's pretty manageable.

Reactions: Miss Sally

·
The Dream
4,702 Posts
It's the nature of the business sadly. I never thought I'd see a more pissy fanbase than comic book fans, but movie fans who think they're comic book fans despite never reading any are infinitely worse.
Good shout, but they're still behind the retro videogame experts who shit on anything modern, and the metal elitists.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Good shout, but they're still behind the retro videogame experts who shit on anything modern, and the metal elitists.
Yeah those video game types REALLY annoy me. No feller, I'm not going to buy a garbage looking game because it plays like Megaman. I stopped being challenged by Megaman games when I was 6 years old. Couldn't comment about metal fans tbh, their music hasn't been relevant for so long I barely ever meet any to interact with. :lol

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Why exclude yourself from opportunities just because of some shit cunts on Twitter? Honestly, Twitter isn't as bad as people considering Twitter criticism or any social media uproar as something legitimate. Can always block those shit cunts as well. Anyway I hope this guy does another Edge of Tomorrow movie. Thoroughly the first one.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Why not just make a single movie instead of a trilogy, and then if it's shit we know who to blame.
Or make sure the first movie is good before you make another. Not doing this is why all these attempts at cinematic universes keep failing.

Reactions: All Elite Wanking

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
This seems stupid though. No matter what you do there will always be people on SM waiting in the wings to shit all over you. Don't concern yourself with them and just do what you do.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Imagine making life decisions based on Twitter nonsense. Lol.

Hollywood reaping what it has sown after totally shitting the bed.

Speculative blogger on a website getting overdramatic about whether or not a director will make a movie, because of Twitter trash (oops, I repeat myself).

Legitimately nothing to see here, except maybe some cheap comedy.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Toxic. :lmao

You would only have something to worry about if you're ideas were going to be just as horrid as the people who made the embarrassment of a Star Wars series we have right now.

At least the Marvel movies aren't a complete laughingstock like the Marvel comics. Hopefully the Captain Marvel movie doesn't end that streak.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At least the Marvel movies aren't a complete laughingstock like the Marvel comics. Hopefully the Captain Marvel movie doesn't end that streak.
It almost feels like some people are waiting for that to be 'the one' for the MCU. We don't know much about it and people are already whining about this female superhero being too powerful. I've seen it on this forum and other online spaces.

I'm calling it right now that Captain Marvel will be the most divisive character and movie in the MCU, and we damn well know why.

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
Perhaps I'm getting lost in semantics; Are you talking about non-readers that claim to be fans of comic book-based characters, or are you talking about non-readers that claim to be straight up comic book fans?

Something I see a lot of is avid comic book readers that complain about movies deviating from the source material. Tim Burton's Batman is a classic example of this. Tim very openly took an established property and re-imagined it his way, and yet people acted as if his films were supposed to be faithful adaptations. It's funny because that's no different from Elseworlds comics which are generally well received because they're categorized as being non-canon.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Perhaps I'm getting lost in semantics; Are you talking about non-readers that claim to be fans of comic book-based characters, or are you talking about non-readers that claim to be straight up comic book fans?

Something I see a lot of is avid comic book readers that complain about movies deviating from the source material. Tim Burton's Batman is a classic example of this. Tim very openly took an established property and re-imagined it his way, and yet people acted as if his films were supposed to be faithful adaptations. It's funny because that's no different from Elseworlds comics which are generally well received because they're categorized as being non-canon.
I'm talking about people who watched some Saturday morning cartoons and movies and like to proclaim themselves experts of characters they know almost none of the history. The same ones who've ruined conventions by thinking it's a costume contest and that's what everybody's there for, to look at them. By far the most annoying fanbase I've ever encountered in my life. And actually, I'd say Tim Burton's the closest of all of the movies to the source material, he actually made Gotham city look somewhat like Gotham City. I'd take that anyday over the piss-poor "Batman does Chicago" Nolan movies :lol

It almost feels like some people are waiting for that to be 'the one' for the MCU. We don't know much about it and people are already whining about this female superhero being too powerful. I've seen it on this forum and other online spaces.

I'm calling it right now that Captain Marvel will be the most divisive character and movie in the MCU, and we damn well know why.
Yeah, bigots and people who've never read the comic books so think it's a "feminist" thing when it's actually just that she's a badass.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts