Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who you think are the most successful and impressive singles wrestlers who started their careers or made a name for them selves first as a tag team.

Christian
Edge
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
Bully Ray
Marty Jannetty
Shawn Michaels

Strike me as some of the bigger names.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I really wouldn't consider Matt Hardy or Marty Jannety to be top guys. Matt was always just Jeff's brother, and Marty was just Shawn's old partner.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Add Sting and Ultimate Warrior, who started out as the Blade Runners tag team in the territories.

·
Banned
8,732 Posts
It used to be that almost all top guys have had a run in a tag team at some time beforehand in their career before getting their big singles push. But since the big promotions started their own big developmental operations that seems to have died down, as guys like Goldberg, Orton and Cena have gone straight to the top without ever having a run in a tag team. (I know Orton was in Evolution and Cena was paired with Bull Buchanan for a bit, but neither were ever really part of a 'tag division' before getting their singles push, if you catch my drift).

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Everyone starts off as single then becomes tag-team, don't they?
Then what is the point of this thread if every wrestler starts off as single then becomes tag-team?

You can pretty much kill the thread and say everybody. Fact is not everybody is/was a tag team wrestler. Yeah, JBL was but he was in WWE for 3-4 years before he teamed with Faarooq and he and Windham were a tag team but at that point, Windham was a former WHC.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Just wondering who you think are the most successful and impressive singles wrestlers who started their careers or made a name for them selves first as a tag team.

Christian
Edge
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
Bully Ray
Marty Jannetty
Shawn Michaels
OP, please explain to me how Marty Jannetty was a "Top Wrestler" He never made it in single's competition past the mid card.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
I would say The Miz as the most recent example in WWE. He was absolutely nothing before joining Morrison on ECW. Sure he was technically a singles competitor on Smackdown for a few months, but he was mostly a jobber and a host until he went to ECW. Their tag team run really helped to propel Miz towards the top.

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
Sting and Ultimate Warrior were pretty irrelevant until they were together as the Blade Runners. That's close enough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts