Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking into account everything from matches, promos and storylines what do you think was the best year for each of the following top wwe stars (you can add your own as well):

Shawn Michaels - 2008

Michaels cut some great promos in the wrestlemania programme with Flair and was the perfect face in a tremendous storyline with Chris Jericho. Although this wasn't his best year in terms of actual wrestling, he was involved in two phenonemal storylines and acted brilliantly throughout both of them.

Bret Hart - 1997
Ended his btilliant feud with Austin, cut great heel promos and was involved in a compelling Canada vs USA storyline.

John Cena - 2007 - Had excellent matches all year around including a brilliant programme with HBK.

Chris Jericho - 2009 - Cut brilliant promos in the build to his match with the legends at wm, engaged in a thrilling series of matches with Rey Mysterio for the IC Title and endured a super entertaining tag team run with The Big Show.

Edge - 2006 - Great feuds with Foley and Cena - super entertaining promos and an intriguing alliance with Rsndy Orton capped off a dynamite year for the Rated R Superstar.

The Rock - 1999 - Excellent feud with Foley transitioned nicely into an excellent program with Austin and the formaton of the entertaining Rock and Sock connection later in the year.

Stone Cold Steve Austin - 1998 - Austin users in the Attitude era. Nuff said really.

Might write some more later but interested in the time being to hear others thoughts.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Michaels - 1997. He was God, in the ring and out of it.

Hart - 1995. The company needed him to carry it during perhaps its worse year ever.

Cena - 2004. His rise to superstardom was significantly more enjoyable to watch than most of what's come since, though I think Cena's been great the last 2 years or so.

Jericho - 2009. For the reasons stated by the OP.

Edge - 2006. Ditto.

Rock - 2000. With Austin gone he stepped up as the top babyface and proved a sensational foil to the super evil Triple H (who also had his best year in 2000).

Austin - 2001. We've had lengthy discussions about this before, so I'll reiterate what I've said in the past: you can say what you will about Austin's heel turn being a bad decision, but no ill word can be said of his performance in the role. Overall Austin was never, ever, ever better than he was in 2001.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was tempted to go for Michaels 1996 or 1997 but those two storylines in 2008 had me hooked and emotionally invested week in week out.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No arguments there - the Royal Rumble clash with Foley is one of my fav childhood memories of wrestling.

Undertaker is an interesting one to consider as his in ring work has greatly improved whilst his storylines have become increasingly tiresome.

·
Banned
282 Posts
2004-Eddie Guerrero-Great tag team run, putting on stellar matches, capped off with his world title win.

2003/4-Randy Orton-My favorite run of Orton. This was when his character was at its best. A prick/cocky heel. Had a great run with the IC title, awesome feud with Mick Foley that will go down as one of my all-time favorites. Really solidified him as a potential main-eventer.

1996-1997-Hart was the fucking man, especially through these years. The stand-out being his feud with Stone Cold. Really started the beginnings of the Attitude Era. Great storyline, great matches, great atmosphere, etc.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spirit has no limits, beginning or ending & when we begin to understand Self in these terms, we're truly becoming the image of Creator. Yeshua (Jesus) made a startling confession when others asked who he was, I Am. He didn't box himself in but stated I Am whatever is necessary to finish the goals set before me in my life.

This Question really makes one think, nicely done my friend!
Don't spout that shit in my thread junior. I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
in my opinion, Chris Jericho's WCW work in 1998 was absolute gold and he never was that good again (very difficult for anyone to top it), he was actually very very funny and his character was such a douche-bag but you loved him none the less!

For those of you who have never seen this promo, I just love it. Dean Malenko and Jericho's Man of 1004 holds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcTHmZ9luY&feature=related

And this, the first 30 seconds of this just sums up why the guy is an absolute genius. When the guy gives him a sign. Just brilliant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hn9j7fTVow&feature=related

EDIT: I guess you said WWE so I guess this doesn't count.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Austin - 2001. We've had lengthy discussions about this before, so I'll reiterate what I've said in the past: you can say what you will about Austin's heel turn being a bad decision, but no ill word can be said of his performance in the role. Overall Austin was never, ever, ever better than he was in 2001.

I agree with this 100%. Austin was at his best in that role. I've actually been watching Raw/Smackdown 2001 year again because of Austin. Good times :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bret Hart : 1994 - I loved the feud with Austin in 1997, but he carried the WWE this year and his feud with Owen was awesome.

Shawn Michaels : 1997 - Shawn Michaels was one of the best heels of all time in my opinion. Every story line he was involved in was gold.

Triple H : 2000 - Perfect character, the "look" was better (his huge mustache he grew after just made him look old), and he was the main heel in the company.

Undertaker : 1998 - His first feud with Kane was great (their mania match was underrated), the final chapter of the Mankind feud produced one of the great matches of all time, and the end of the year was the start of his heel turn (which was awesome, but not booked well).

Steve Austin : 1998 - Created the Attitude Era, and he was the reason people watched Raw instead of Nitro every week.

The Rock : 1999 - His feuds with Foley, and Austin were some of the best of his career, and his popularity was through the roof by the end of the year.

John Cena : 2004 - I hate the guy, and the way they book him, but his gimmick was awesome in 2004. It got tiresome quick, but he was a top draw in the company even before his title wins.

Chris Jericho : 2002 - Come on, he headlined Wrestlemania that year! Him beating The Rock at the royal rumble is something i'll never forget, and couldn't believe at the time.

Edge : 2006 - This guy was the top heel around. Everything he did was a success.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Triple H - 2000
Shawn Michaels - 1996
Bret Hart - 1994
Chris Benoit - 2000
Mr Perfect - 1989
Macho Man - 1988
Kurt Angle - 2001
Steve Austin - 2001
The Undertaker - 1997
Chris Jericho - 2008
Edge - 2006
Dynamite Kid - 1986
Eddie Guerrero - 2004
Owen Hart - 1994
Ric Flair - 1992

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris Jericho did nothing of note in the first half of 2008 which means even though the second half kickstarted his epic heel turn, 2009 was a year in which he was great from start to finish.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Cena - 07. Even though I firmly believe we have not seen his best year yet, he carried Raw near enough for half a year, got a fantastic match out of Youmanga, Champ most of year, awesome matches with HBK, headlined Mania, became face of company.

Austin - 97, won rumble arguably the best match of all time at Mania with Bret, was getting as hot as anyone had ever got, great in the ring, great fued with Hart Foundation.

Bret - 93, face of company, his in ring quality one as good as you will ever see, shame he didn;t have the opponents to work with. GREAT fued with Lawler. Seriously, minus Bret, the company woulda been badder than badder than bad.

Orton - 07, first half was good w/ and vs. Edge, started punting, from August to Xmas was super hot.

Rock - 99, Rock N Sock, Super Super popular, became face of the company in 2nd half of year, great matches with Austin.

Trips - 00. Awesome promos, fueds (Foley, Rock, Love triangle, arguably 3 of the best fueds of the decade, in one year!), matches, peak in the ring, owned the year.

Edge - 06. Any need to say why?

Undertaker - 02, awesome as a heel. Got real hot around WM 18, great matches with Lesnar, just all round great.

HBK - 96, Pretty much carried WWE in 96 when WCW was getting super hot, so many good matches, fueds, just an exceptionally such a valuable star that year.

Jericho - 08, face run was ok, won IC title, din't pick up till fued with HBK, which was one of the best fueds of all time, from then, awesome matches and promos, carried Raw when Cena was off.

Rey Rey - 09, retired JBL, won IC title, brilliant fued with Y2J, and probs 3 of the top 10 matches in WWE that year with him, fantastic match with Morrison everyone knows, did SD wonders, cooled of towards then end of the year though.

Foley - 98, Hell in a Cell with Taker, great fued and matches with Austin in the spring, got super popular towards end of year, pure FUN match at Mania, and the rumble with 3 faces of Foley.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Bret Hart's best year was 1994. The feud with Owen Hart was white hot and the best storyline of the year. His matches at Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania X and Summerslam 1994 were all brilliant. His matches on the whole were all pretty awesome that year and was the biggest babyface in the company.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Chris Jericho did nothing of note in the first half of 2008 which means even though the second half kickstarted his epic heel turn, 2009 was a year in which he was great from start to finish.
He actually started the feud with Michaels in April time. Which isn't half way through the year. There's no doubt about it that 2008 was definetly Jericho's year, despite my feelings that he also was superstar of the year in 2009 also. With Rey Mysterio closely behind him that year.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
From a character standpoint, Steve Austin was at his best in 1998 but in terms of the quality of his matches, 2001 was definitely his best year in the ring.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He actually started the feud with Michaels in April time. Which isn't half way through the year. There's no doubt about it that 2008 was definetly Jericho's year, despite my feelings that he also was superstar of the year in 2009 also. With Rey Mysterio closely behind him that year.
So, my point still stands that Jericho had a long period in 08 where he did nothing of note as opposed to 2009 where he was just awesome from the first day of January all the way up until the last day in December. He somehow made the big show seem entertaining, made the silly Rey storyline seem important and cut some great promos on the old wwe legends. That's not even taking into account his in ring work which was just awesome week in week out. From a mic and in ring standpoint 2009 was Jericho's best year ever in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts