Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like posting these type threads here every once in a while when I am bored. Here is my best stab at it for our neighbors to the North. Would love to get your opinions. Been thinking about this today. Would love for some Canadians to chime in. Just a starter for conversation, I understand that recency bias will cause folks to slam my list, and that's fine.

This is for discussion only.

HM: Lance Storm ,Stu Hart, Raymond Rougeau, Vampiro, Rocky Johnson, Jacques Rougeau, Angelo Mosca, Christian

20. Pat Patterson: The former Blonde Bomber had an entire career out west before he reinvented himself for Vince Sr.

19. Owen Hart: Even though his career was cut short, he excelled for runs on a national stage.

18. Dino Bravo: A standout territory star and upper mid card WWF former tag champ. The end of his career did him a disservice. One of the few who pinned Ultimate Warrior.

17. Stan Stasiak: More famous for his WWWF title run than anything else but "The Man" had an epic career in the territories.

16. Joe LeDuc: One of the truly scary monster heels of the 70's and 80's. Worked non stop and terrorized kids all around the world.

15. Hans Schmidt: One of the greatest heels of all time, and one of the first to use the Nazi gimmick in a heated climate. This guy wrestled in every stadium in the world headlining most of them. Sneaky good entry who could be higher.

14. Ron Garvin: Well he is a former NWA world champ at a time that it really meant something. Longtime career that was almost discredited with his late career WWF run.

13. The Mongolian Stomper: One of the most influential territory wrestlers of all time. A feared specter in every territory he toured. One of the early touring heels who could pop a crowd.

12. Ric Martel: Probably has a resume better than his actual career. I mean multiple time WWF tag champ, AWA World Champ, but his most successful run came as a mid card heel in WWF.

11. The Spoiler: Probably one of the top five masked wrestlers of all time. Don Jardine the original rope walker held over 40 regional titles and had major success all over the world but especially Texas.

10. Chris Benoit: Well I think we know this guy, almost did not post him here, we know what he did.

9. Whipper Watson: Former NWA world champ and longtime AWA headliner. Forgotten by time but a perennial top contender in the Golden Age of wrestling.

8. Ivan Koloff: The man who silenced the Garden. The man who beat Bruno for the WWWF title. Long excellent career all over the world.

7. Abdullah the Butcher: Love him or hate him, their are few names as well known in the sport world wide than Abdullah.

6. Edge: Multiple time world champ, and Rated R Superstar. Will benefit from being a top star during the communication era.

5. Chris Jericho: An unbelievable career from humble beginnings alongside Lance Strom in the backwoods of Tennessee. The former Thrill seeker is a national treasure and multiple time champion.

4. Mad Dog Vachon: Possibly a top ten heel of all time and a multiple time world champ. There's probably not 50 guys all time who had his career.

3. Roddy Piper: Easily one of the most iconic wrestlers of all time and a legend all over. Headlined WM1 and main evented territories everywhere even before his WWF run.

2. Gene Kiniski: The original "All-Canadian" superstar. The only man in history to hold both the NWA and AWA titles when they were the two biggest belts in the world. One of the best all time. Held over 50 titles in his career, which spanned the entire globe representing Canada all the way.

1. Bret Hart: The Excellence of Execution has to be here at #1, right? I mean in spite of Kiniski's greatness, only Hart was a better Canadian.

Attachments

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,588 Posts
Excellent choice for a list GL

My list would feature wrestlers who were big draws in Canada while working for Canadian promoters.

I would move Whipper Watson into the top 3. Of the people on this list, I feel Kiniski and Watson has the biggest impact working for Canadian promotions, in Canada. Hart and Piper drew well in Canada, but did not work for a Canadian at the time.

I’m going to leave Hart in first. He started working in Canada, was big in Calgary and is Arguably the most recognizable Canadian wrestler in history. Perhaps the last few years that has changed, but we’ll leave him where he’s at.

A couple notables whom are missing from your list include The Spoiler, Angelo Mosca, Pat Patterson and arguably Stan Stasiak!

It’s too hard to do only a top 20 list!

·
Likes wrestling....
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

My list would feature wrestlers who were big draws in Canada while working for Canadian promoters.

I would move Whipper Watson into the top 3. Of the people on this list, I feel Kiniski and Watson has the biggest impact working for Canadian promotions, in Canada. Hart and Piper drew well in Canada, but did not work for a Canadian at the time.

I’m going to leave Hart in first. He started working in Canada, was big in Calgary and is Arguably the most recognizable Canadian wrestler in history. Perhaps the last few years that has changed, but we’ll leave him where he’s at.

A couple notables whom are missing from your list include The Spoiler, Angelo Mosca, Pat Patterson and arguably Stan Stasiak!

Dang I forgot Spoiler....opps

Patterson certainly breaks into that top 20, as does Spoiler. Going to edit it :)

Mosca and Stasiak probably too.
And yes my list is very "wrestlers who had an impact world wide from Canada"

·
Likes wrestling....
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Edited, Spoiler is easy top 15, maybe top 5. I went with Patterson at 20. I just has a hard time moving Stasiak into that list. I am affraid I would have had to have taken out Owen which would have caused all our "WWE" friends a lot of stress.

Hey your thoughts on Dino Bravo?

I would be really interested to read your list of guys from Canada who were over in their own country. It's a very interesting conversation.

I mean it's like "The Most over Americans in Japan" or "Most over Americans in Mexico"

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,385 Posts
Great list. As soon as I saw the title all I could think of was the old Legends of Wrestling round table where Bret picked the Mongolian Stomper as the top Canadian wrestler and Patterson's head basically exploded.

Reactions: GL

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,588 Posts
For wrestlers who were most over for their work with Canadian promotions, I feel the first two are obvious.

#1 Whipper Willy Watson - Was basically a main event talent from the get go. Headlined Maple Leaf Gardens, one of the most famous arenas in sports from 1941 until his international expansion in the 50’s. After that, he headlines arenas all over the world, including St Louis, his home away from home. Watson dabbled in politics, and considered playing football.

#2 Gene Kiniski -A former CFL football player, Kiniski got his start in USA but became a star in Canada. Toronto and Montreal were his initial stomping grounds. He headlined Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum many times in the 50’s. Kiniski and Watson had a feud which was featured on CBC television. That feat alone is unmatched in Canada. CBC meant national exposure. It hasn’t been done before and hasn’t been done since.

After this it becomes muddled. Anyone who had a feature spot, at the top of the card in Montreal or Toronto was being seen by thousands of fans every night they performed.

in Montreal, Jacques and Jean Rougeau are the guys. When the Rougeau promotion was at its Height, Vachons promotion was as well. I feel those two families would be fairly even.

Hans Schmidt was way over as a heel in Toronto and Montreal.
Yvon Robert is one of the most successful headliners of all time in Montreal. Held gate and attendance records throughout the 1940’s.

Stu Hart is wildly popular in western Canada. His brand of wrestling covered a massive territory branching from eastern BC until AWA territory in Brandon, Manitoba. Stu would certainly in the Conversation as most over Canadian in Canada.

at the time, I cannot provide a top 20 list. I need to do some more research to make a fair assessment. Based on attendance, time on top, and national exposure Kiniski and Watson are the top 2 in this category. I cannot think of anyone who would come close.

Dino was hugely over in Canada as well. He started off working Montreal, and while growing his brand for Crocket and others, he became a headliner in Montreal in the late 70’s, even getting the run from Kiniski. Montreal was his stomping grounds and it even lead to some issues with Hogan and McMahon while Bravo worked in the WWF. I feel the strongman gimmick sorta hamstrung his career, but the WWF was more interested in that then good work, so it helped him make money. Good on him

·
Likes wrestling....
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For wrestlers who were most over for their work with Canadian promotions, I feel the first two are obvious.

#1 Whipper Willy Watson - Was basically a main event talent from the get go. Headlined Maple Leaf Gardens, one of the most famous arenas in sports from 1941 until his international expansion in the 50’s. After that, he headlines arenas all over the world, including St Louis, his home away from home. Watson dabbled in politics, and considered playing football.

#2 Gene Kiniski -A former CFL football player, Kiniski got his start in USA but became a star in Canada. Toronto and Montreal were his initial stomping grounds. He headlined Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum many times in the 50’s. Kiniski and Watson had a feud which was featured on CBC television. That feat alone is unmatched in Canada. CBC meant national exposure. It hasn’t been done before and hasn’t been done since.

After this it becomes muddled. Anyone who had a feature spot, at the top of the card in Montreal or Toronto was being seen by thousands of fans every night they performed.

in Montreal, Jacques and Jean Rougeau are the guys. When the Rougeau promotion was at its Height, Vachons promotion was as well. I feel those two families would be fairly even.

Hans Schmidt was way over as a heel in Toronto and Montreal.
Yvon Robert is one of the most successful headliners of all time in Montreal. Held gate and attendance records throughout the 1940’s.

Stu Hart is wildly popular in western Canada. His brand of wrestling covered a massive territory branching from eastern BC until AWA territory in Brandon, Manitoba. Stu would certainly in the Conversation as most over Canadian in Canada.

at the time, I cannot provide a top 20 list. I need to do some more research to make a fair assessment. Based on attendance, time on top, and national exposure Kiniski and Watson are the top 2 in this category. I cannot think of anyone who would come close.

Dino was hugely over in Canada as well. He started off working Montreal, and while growing his brand for Crocket and others, he became a headliner in Montreal in the late 70’s, even getting the run from Kiniski. Montreal was his stomping grounds and it even lead to some issues with Hogan and McMahon while Bravo worked in the WWF. I feel the strongman gimmick sorta hamstrung his career, but the WWF was more interested in that then good work, so it helped him make money. Good on him
Thanks BM that is exactly what I was looking for. Good knowledge shared.

I was not aware how popular Whipper was there. Makes sense.

Also it is really cool to read the name Yvon Robert again, I had forgotten him.

Great stuff BM! I wish you would post more Canadian wrestling info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts