Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the hell happened to it? ever since Immortal showed up at BFG, it seems like they threw the whole concept out the window. Matt Morgan was no where near the top 10 and now because he defected from Fortune and kicked Bischoff in the head and signed the contract, he's number 1 contender? i was just watching the Kurt Angle video on Impact and it reminded me of the whole top ten concept. so i thought i'd ask what happened and why it disappeared or is this just another idea that TNA decided to just drop without any explanation.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
It was a stupid concept anyway. It was just an excuse for TNA not to have clever storylines. Instead it was #1 RANK VS CHAMP, no story needed.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
it's been gone for awhile, hasn't it? i don't even remember the last time i even thought about it.

thank God. this is a kayfabe world for a reason, there's supposed to be a story around it, it's not about numbers and rankings.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Let's break it down, we had a system that relied primarily on a combination of fan voting, Hogan, Dixie, Win-Loss records, and the championship committee to decide on who would be ranked where; never mind the fact that it was never made clear just how much influence each of these factors had in comparison to the others, never mind that it started out as a fan voting poll and the influences of the others would only come into play once we had the audacity to vote for Wolfe as the number one contender which went against what the TNA brass wanted themselves, but the rankings were never established as we never knew which superstar was sitting where in the rankings, or for that matter, whether or not they were even in the top 10 period. Explain to me how Doug Williams, Jay Lethal, and Rob Terry were all in the top 8 allowing them to participate in the TNA World title tournament leading up to BFG, but yet AJ Styles and Sting were both conspicuously absent from that list? Sting was number one contender just a couple months earlier and AJ was in the top 5 as far as I knew. I'll explain why this happened, because the list was random, meaningless, and therefore stupid. It was a great idea in concept but boy oh boy did they ever fuck it up.

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
I actually like the system tbh. It gave really an idea where said wrestler ranked in the kayfabe world of TNA. Now they've a potential storyline that could easily been TNA's best one this year.

·
Premium Member
43,686 Posts
Ranking System = Good Idea.

Why don't all the wrestling companies have a ranking system? I mean you are trying to project yourself as a fictional show about a sports league, so why wouldn't key elements of a sporting league be present? UFC has a ranking system. NFL has one. So does MLB. So does NHL. So does NBA. Why wouldn't professional wrestling, fake or not, not have a system to rank the contenders in order to justify to the fans why certain people are getting title shots. Reasons such as being mad at the champion, attacking the champion when a match is over, or winning one or two matches & suddenly being named the number one contender aren't justifiable reasons to rank somebody at the top because no other sport in the world operates like that. Win/Loss records should be the key factor in determining contenders...

And THAT was where TNA Fucked up. Number one, Fan voting? So somebody can get a title shot because the fans like him? Yeah, that's bullshit. Second, management preference? Well if Joe has a strong performance in a match against RVD, then he moves up. HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK??? JOE LOST!!! HE SHOULD MOVE DOWN!!! TNA made their ranking system way more complicated than it needed to be.

Here's how it should be: If you win, you have a chance to move up. If you lose, you have a chance to move down. House show matches should count in order to make those shows matter. All Divisions should have ranking systems. Not just the Heavyweights. If people think that is too complicated or too hard to keep track of, again, real sports do it on a weekly basis AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES!!! They basically have to keep track of things as they happen. Wrestling is worked. They could have their system worked out at least 2 weeks in advance. Is that really hard?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The concept was pretty much destined to fail in the form of a top 10 rankings because a rankings system in wrestling should ultimately be able to have the fans emotionally invest in the system as their favorites climb up the rankings (or their hated guys fall down the rankings).

The rankings were essentially stat based, not bad in team sports where the competiton itself is the most important part, but bad in a world where everybody is supposed to get the fans emotional invested in them; midcarders and lowercarders were left off the list entirely and it didn't feel like anything was happening when guys moved up or down the ranks.

A wrestling rankings system would best be served with a format with tier list cut-off gaps: guys close in ability grouped together in individual tiers, these group of guys seperated from each other group of guys based of competitiveness, and all possible matchups between the wrestlers on the list factoring into their rank (higher end matchups weighted favorably). People within one tier, although probably numerbically ranked, would essentially be interchangable (numbers 1-5 could all challenge for the title if they were all in the top tier for example), and guys in a lower tier would work to eventually move up to the bottom of the next tier (number 6 making it into the tier with numbers 1-5 would be allowed to compete for the championship) which would make devout fans of the guy jump for joy if movements between tiers let alone new tier list editions were rather rare.

My idea comes from my experience with the competitive fandom for the Nintendo Super Smash Bros videogame. New tier lists are a rare occurance and every character has a fanbase regardless of how bad he/she is in the game. Endless debates occur for even lower tier characters, one character actually being hated for being better than every other character, matchups between lower tier characters and higher end characters being explored by the low tier character's fans searching for special even-handed matchups, debate on the legality of cheap tactics (think Undertaker's Hell's Gate) and a lot of other happenings. Tier lists are an absolutely big deal in the Smash fandom; the TNA ranking system (and all wrestling systems from what I've seen) had nothing getting anybody to care beyond who was ranked one.

Is that really hard?
Remember who's booking the show:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Pretty simple, it was most likely only around for the Angle angle. So kayfabe wise, yup, they knew Angle would want to earn his way instead of being put at number 2, which would give them the right amount of time to turn Abyss into a monster, yada, yada. Damn they're brilliant!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It would have been a good idea if theyd followed through with it, but like so many TNA booking ideas, they get bored with it quickly and go in a different direction.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It was rigged from the start, especially that your chosen contender would be jobbed out in minutes. It didn't help when there were taped shows, because at one time Bischoff announced that Hardy was the contender and hours before the show went on the air, the votes were rigged to Hardy.

It doesn't really work for taped shows but perhaps pay-per-views could work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If were going to question where its gone we might as well question why Kurt Angle is still here; he said if he lost he would leave TNA, he lost yet he does a video saying he isn't done and wants answers, well then the last carer matches were a waste of time then.
I'll still watch TNA but some of their storylines are all over the place; Samoa Joe just turned up with no answer to who put him in the van, also im pretty sure its been more than 30 days since the womans tag was defended? I'm aware they needed an answer to take away the belt from the departed Awesome Kong, but don't bring in a rule for one match.
Here endeth my rant....

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
i find funny that the ranking system was induced because eric bischoff said it was there to avoid doing something like a tournament

even more funny, when RVD got murdered by abyss, the first thing TNA does the next week IS ANNOUNCE A TOURNAMENT, instead of making a match between number 1 and number 2 ranking and creating something decent, nope, they have to drop the storyline AGAIN, and the same way they dropped the "angle retires" storyline aswell

that's my main beef with TNA... their storylines have ABYSMAL plotholes

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
it's been gone for awhile, hasn't it? i don't even remember the last time i even thought about it.

thank God. this is a kayfabe world for a reason, there's supposed to be a story around it, it's not about numbers and rankings.
That's why I'm disappointed it's gone, it had the potential to extend feuds as people worked their way up the rankings. For example, Pope had his issues with Anderson before he turned face. Had Anderson won the title during that period standard booking practices would normally mean Pope would get a title shot but, due to the ranking system, he wouldn't be able to do so immediately and would need to work to earn. This would let him gain serious momentum rather than give us a situation like Hardcore Holly vs Brock Lesnar.

Having said that the system that TNA actually set up was stupid so it's probably better that it's gone but I'd still like them to try something similar in the future, perhaps their own version of the Pick Six.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
It all started with the fans getting to vote on who they wanted. They were hoping one of thier boys would win the voting, then all the fans voted for Desmond Wolfe insted of Abyssamania or Hardy. Then RVD squashed Desmond Wolfe. And that pretty much put an end to the fan voting and screwed the whole thing up.

Basically it was thier way of saying that then knew what the fans wanted better than the fans did.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
It all started with the fans getting to vote on who they wanted. They were hoping one of thier boys would win the voting, then all the fans voted for Desmond Wolfe insted of Abyssamania or Hardy. Then RVD squashed Desmond Wolfe. And that pretty much put an end to the fan voting and screwed the whole thing up.

Basically it was thier way of saying that then knew what the fans wanted better than the fans did.
we didnt want week to week squashes, we wanted a classic built up match between Nigel and Rob at a ppv like we all know they can, NO EXCUSES

if they knew what we wanted then tna would be bigger than they are now, no excuses

It was a stupid concept anyway. It was just an excuse for TNA not to have clever storylines. Instead it was #1 RANK VS CHAMP, no story needed.
It was a great concept. TNA just had no idea or sense of future sight so they panicked and threw up their hands....

Let's break it down, we had a system that relied primarily on a combination of fan voting, Hogan, Dixie, Win-Loss records, and the championship committee to decide on who would be ranked where; never mind the fact that it was never made clear just how much influence each of these factors had in comparison to the others, never mind that it started out as a fan voting poll and the influences of the others would only come into play once we had the audacity to vote for Wolfe as the number one contender which went against what the TNA brass wanted themselves, but the rankings were never established as we never knew which superstar was sitting where in the rankings, or for that matter, whether or not they were even in the top 10 period. Explain to me how Doug Williams, Jay Lethal, and Rob Terry were all in the top 8 allowing them to participate in the TNA World title tournament leading up to BFG, but yet AJ Styles and Sting were both conspicuously absent from that list? Sting was number one contender just a couple months earlier and AJ was in the top 5 as far as I knew. I'll explain why this happened, because the list was random, meaningless, and therefore stupid. It was a great idea in concept but boy oh boy did they ever fuck it up.
....then did this to bend this whole thing to their will not caring how many non IWC fans got confused and or frustrated

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I diddnt say the fans wanted squashes. They obvoiusly wanted to see Desmond Wolfe, thats why they voted for him. I should of changed my wording of the other statement. They think they know what the fans want better than the fans do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts