Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was the top guy in your opinion for all of 1997?

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Bret Hart for most of the year, then Shawn Michaels after the latter returned from injury. He main evented Ground Zero and Bad Blood over Bret (despite Bret being the champion) and was booked to go over him at Survivor Series '97 for the title. DX also stole most of the attention away from The Hart Foundation after it was conceived in September as well.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
^^^DX stole the heat because they went into business for themselves. The deliberate weak representation of the Hart Foundation in the One Night Only PPV where Bulldog was getting whooped by DX and none of the Harts were made to come out until much after the show was over. The promos that were written no longer were the shoots that we saw earlier in the year. Hart Foundation had literally zero comeback lines. Bret was made to feud against a guy who couldn't sell even if his life depended on it. It was decided a month before that making Bret seem less important would allow them to move on after his forced exit.

Shawn was on fire that year no doubt but looking back, if he had his head in the right place, the rivalry with Bret would have done much bigger business.

Bret was the man till Pillman's death and the subsequent decision to let him go as Vince was a sadistic prick who couldn't honor a contract.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Undertaker, he was the top WWF draw in 1997.

Reactions: The Main Headliner

·
Butter My Arse
11,758 Posts
Bret Hart with Austin not far behind. In fact I’d say they were on level pegging.

I feel people underestimate Austin’s popularity and standing in the company in 97 from WM onwards. Even though his momentum stalled a bit somewhat thanks to the neck injury at Summerslam, he was still absolutely red hot.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
^^^DX stole the heat because they went into business for themselves. The deliberate weak representation of the Hart Foundation in the One Night Only PPV where Bulldog was getting whooped by DX and none of the Harts were made to come out until much after the show was over. The promos that were written no longer were the shoots that we saw earlier in the year. Hart Foundation had literally zero comeback lines. Bret was made to feud against a guy who couldn't sell even if his life depended on it. It was decided a month before that making Bret seem less important would allow them to move on after his forced exit.

Shawn was on fire that year no doubt but looking back, if he had his head in the right place, the rivalry with Bret would have done much bigger business.

Bret was the man till Pillman's death and the subsequent decision to let him go as Vince was a sadistic prick who couldn't honor a contract.
Was Shawn main eventing more despite Bret being the champion because Bret gave his notice to Vince, and when I say notice, I mean Vince pushing Bret out?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
All of wrestling? Sting

WWE only?: Bret Hart and to an extent HBK due to being in and out throughout the year (By fall of 1997 it was HBK).
WCW: Sting, even without wrestling until Starrcade, but if not him due to barely wrestling then it's Hogan.
ECW: Taz (feel free to correct me here anyone, memory is a bit foggy I put RVD at first then thought about Raven, Sabu, etc; ECW had a lot of big players for their company)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
All of wrestling? Sting

WWE only?: Bret Hart and to an extent HBK due to being in and out throughout the year (By fall of 1997 it was HBK).
WCW: Sting, even without wrestling until Starrcade, but if not him due to barely wrestling then it's Hogan.
ECW: Taz (feel free to correct me here anyone, memory is a bit foggy I put RVD at first then thought about Raven, Sabu, etc; ECW had a lot of big players for their company)
RVD always felt like ECWs biggest star from 97 until they went under

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When you look at the ENTIRE YEAR
it's The Undertaker.
Putting aside the title reign for a moment,he was in the main event of both Wrestlemania and Summerslam.
Paul Bearer feud.
Stone cold feud
Bret Hart feud
The Shawn Michaels feud, as it created a new gimmick match.
The debut of Kane.
The fact that he was a babyface for all of 1997, unlike the other three men(Austin,Bret and HBK).

Stone Cold was the face of the company in 1998. Shawn's year was 1996. But 1997, that was Taker's year.

Reactions: Lord Trigon

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,366 Posts
As far as order goes, I'd probably but Bret and Shawn at a tie. Bret was Champ for 3 months in 1997 (August to November) and Shawn was Champ for four months (January and February and then November and December) and he got to main-event the first HIAC match without the title. I'll still put them as a tie, though, but it's close and both were doing great work as characters and in the ring.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts