Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've seen a lot of WM threads about this topic but what about SummerSlam? What are the top 5 biggest feud/match of Summerslam?

3 matches comes to my mind.

SCSA Vs The Undertaker 1998
Brock Lesnar Vs The Undertaker 2015
John Cena Vs Brock Lesnar 2014

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar 2003
Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio 2005
John Cena vs Randy Orton 2007 and 2009
CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy 2009
John Cena vs CM Punk 2011

·
The Babyface of WF
10,496 Posts
I feel my initial opinions will be subjective but to me these felt like a really big deal whether you liked them or not.

-Mega Powers vs Mega Bucks(88)
-Stone Cold vs Undertaker(98)
-The Rock vs Brock Lesnar(02)
-Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels(05)
-Daniel Bryan vs John Cena(13)

The ones I preferred however.

-HHH vs The Rock(98)
-HBK vs HHH(02)
-Undertaker vs Edge(08)
-CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar(13)
-John Cena vs AJ Styles(16)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Back in the day era

Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog SummerSlam 1992
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart SummerSlam 1994
Bret Hart vs. Undertaker SummerSlam 1997
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Undertaker 1998
Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian SummerSlam 2000

WWE era
The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar SummerSlam 2002
Edge vs. Undertaker SummerSlam 2008
Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena Summerslam 2014
Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker Summerslam 2015
Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
Summerslam 2018

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
WWF Era:

Mega Powers/Mega Bucks 88
Bret/Owen 94
Bret/Bulldog 92
Bret/Perfect 91
Tie Bret/Taker 97and Austin/Taker 98

WWE Era:

Punk/Hardy 09
Punk/Brock 13
HBK/HHH 02
Dudleys/Hardys/Edge & Christian TLC 2000
Tie Bryan/Cena 13 and Edge/Taker 08

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Um, are you guys posting your favorite feuds/matches that weren't even that big?
I was going for major feuds. If I was going for matches then Bryan/Cena 13 would be there. That's one of my all time favorite matches, but I wouldn't describe Bryan/Cena a major feud because it wasn't.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Austin vs Undertaker in 98, Hbk vs hulk Hogan in 2005 and Randy Orton vs Hogan in 2006 are biggest drawing angles/feuds at the last 20 odd Summerslams.

HHH and Brock at Summerslam 12 is biggest drawing feud at Summerslam for last decade.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Austin/Taker from '98 is a classic feud and basically sold that damn PPV (and sold it well).

When you think SummerSlam, it is pretty much impossible to not think of Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog from SummerSlam '92.

SummerSlam '02 is one of my favorite PPVs of all-time. I don't know whether to make the case for Brock vs. Rock being "big," but the return of Shawn Michaels really made this feel like a "must-see."

It wasn't the main event, but how can you not mention Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart? It's one of the more definitive and legendary SummerSlam matches.

SummerSlam '94 has got a special place in my heart. Bret vs. Owen was a great feud. Taker vs. Taker leaves a lot to be desired, but this definitely stands out as a SummerSlam against what it is sandwiched between. But hell, the build for Lex Luger taking on Yokozuna was good...in theory.

SummerSlam '97 might be one of the most underrated WWF PPVs of all-time.

SummerSlam in 2000 felt like a really big deal. Not so much the main event itself, but the whole show. Shane McMahon and the TLC helped with that.

Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels did big business. You can't deny that.

The Nexus angle was hot.

Orton vs. Christian from '11, Brock vs. Punk from '13, Brock vs. Bryan from '14 and Brock vs. Cena from '14 stand out as matches, but I'm not sure how "big" they felt.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Austin/Taker from '98 is a classic feud and basically sold that damn PPV (and sold it well).

When you think SummerSlam, it is pretty much impossible to not think of Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog from SummerSlam '92.

SummerSlam '02 is one of my favorite PPVs of all-time. I don't know whether to make the case for Brock vs. Rock being "big," but the return of Shawn Michaels really made this feel like a "must-see."

It wasn't the main event, but how can you not mention Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart? It's one of the more definitive and legendary SummerSlam matches.

SummerSlam '94 has got a special place in my heart. Bret vs. Owen was a great feud. Taker vs. Taker leaves a lot to be desired, but this definitely stands out as a SummerSlam against what it is sandwiched between. But hell, the build for Lex Luger taking on Yokozuna was good...in theory.

SummerSlam '97 might be one of the most underrated WWF PPVs of all-time.

SummerSlam in 2000 felt like a really big deal. Not so much the main event itself, but the whole show. Shane McMahon and the TLC helped with that.

Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels did big business. You can't deny that.

The Nexus angle was hot.

Orton vs. Christian from '11, Brock vs. Punk from '13, Brock vs. Bryan from '14 and Brock vs. Cena from '14 stand out as matches, but I'm not sure how "big" they felt.
Lesnar faced Bryan at Survivor Series 2018 not SummerSlam but you should've put Rock/Brock or HHH/HBK for 2002

·
Registered
34 Posts
Top 5 feuds leading into a SummerSlam match, I'll have to go with...

SummerSlam 93 - Yokozuna vs. Lex Luger [World Championship] (lots of hype going into this one)
SummerSlam 94 - Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart [Steel Cage Match for the World Championship] (brother vs. brother with half a year of build up)
SummerSlam 97 - The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart [World Championship] (Bret's career on the line, plus the USA vs. Canada angle was hot)
SummerSlam 98 - Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker [World Championship] (great build up and hype surrounding this match)
SummerSlam 98 - The Rock vs. Triple H [Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship] (hot feud leading up to the event, plus the Nation of Domination vs. DX angle)

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,524 Posts
A lot of recency bias in here.

The best feuds going into SummerSlam are the following:

1988 (Mega Powers v. Mega Bucks) - Continuing to lay the groundwork to one of the greatest stories in WWE history.

1992 (Bret Hart v. British Bulldog) - Fantastic story that culminated in one of the best matches in WWE history.

1997 (Undertaker v. Bret Hart) - Deep in the heart of one of WWE's greatest storylines (Canada v. USA).

1998 (Steve Austin v. Undertaker) - Great face/face storytelling, even if the match didn't deliver.

2009 (Jeff Hardy v. CM Punk) - A compelling, deeply personal story.

2015 (Brock Lesnar v. Undertaker) - Probably the last flicker of greatness in Undertaker's career.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts