Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Undertaker is the best WWE superstar of all time. He's been putting on classics for nearly 25 years in the WWE. No one else can really say that. What are his best matches from his 1990 to 2013 run as The Undertaker? Let me give an off the top of the head list. We're talking about match build, match quality, impact of the match, significance.

1. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25 (best pro wrestling match ever)
2. Undertaker Vs Triple H at WrestleMania 28
3. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels at Badd Blood 1997
4. Undertaker Vs Triple H at WrestleMania 27
5. Undertaker Vs Kane at WrestleMania 14
6. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 26
7. Undertaker Vs Mankind at King of the Ring 1998
8. Undertaker Vs Randy Orton at Armageddon 2005
9. Undertaker Vs Kurt Angle at No Way Out 2006
10. Undertaker Vs Yokozuna at Royal Rumble 1994

Honorable mentions: Vs Batista at WM23, Vs Edge at One Night Stand 2008, Vs Randy Orton at WM21, Vs Triple H at WM17, Vs Bret Hart at SummerSlam 1997

That's a hell of a list. I might have overrated his match Vs Yokozuna at Royal Rumble 1994, but I love that match. I watched that match on a tape when I was like maybe like 2 or 3 years old, and I fell in love with this shit. It took like 15 guys to put down Taker and Taker still whooped their ass.

Anyways, what would your list look like for Taker's best matches?

Also, which wrestler would have the most impressive top ten WWE matches list? I would say it's between Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, or John Cena. Throw Kurt Angle in there too.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I wouldn't put his WM26 match, it was good but since it was basically just a repeat of the previous year it made it boring IMO. I'd add his match with Edge at HITC. Him vs Rock vs Angle was the best triple threat match ever IMO and should be added.

·
Still the GOAT
4,787 Posts
I'll give my own top 10 off the top of my head.

1. The Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels (In Your House: Badd Blood) ~ *****
2. The Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XXVI) ~ *****

3. The Undertaker Vs Brock Lesnar (No Mercy 2002) ~ **** 3/4

4. The Undertaker Vs Kurt Angle (No Way Out 2006) ~ **** 1/2
5. The Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XXVI) ~ **** 1/2
6. The Undertaker Vs CM Punk (Wrestlemania XXIX) ~ **** 1/2
7. The Undertaker Vs HHH (Wrestlemania XXVII) ~ **** 1/2

8. The Undertaker Vs Brock Lesnar (Unforgiven 2002) ~ **** 1/4
9. The Undertaker Vs Kurt Angle (Smackdown 9/2003) ~ **** 1/4
10. The Undertaker Vs Batista (Wrestlemania XXIII) ~ **** 1/4

I probably forgot like half of Taker's awesome matches, but oh well.

As for who has the greatest top 10 matches in the company? Even though I'm not high on him as most, HBK would be a candidate simply because the sheer amount of big time bouts he's competed in; The Undertaker Cell match, the Wrestlemania matches with Taker, the Wrestlemania match with Cena, The Wrestlemania XX triple threat, etc.

I'm glad that you mentioned Cena in all honesty. He's one of like, FIVE PEOPLE in company history that has two five star matches in my eyes (I only have 6 matches at five stars in the WWE).

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Current Taker's top 10 matches ever:

1. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XXV)
2. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Badd Blood 1997)
3. Undertaker vs Kane (Wrestlemania XIV)
4. Undertaker vs Kurt Angle (No Way Out 2006)
5. Undertaker vs Mankind (King of The Ring 1998)
6. Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy (RAW 2002)
7. Undertaker vs Edge (Summerslam 2008)
8. Undertaker vs Batista (Wrestlemania 23)
9. Undertaker vs Bret Hart (Summerslam 1997)
10. Undertaker vs Triple H (Wrestlemania X-7)

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
1. Vs HBK HIAC Badd Blood 1997 - ***** and GOAT match ever for me
2. Vs HBK WM 26 - ***** and GOAT WM match ever for me lol
3. Vs HBK WM 25 - *****
4. Vs Brock Lesnar HIAC No Mercy 2002 - *****
5. Vs Kurt Angle SD 2003 - ****3/4 and GOAT WWF/E TV match for me
6. Vs HHH WM 28 HIAC - ****3/4
7. Vs Angle No Way Out 2006 - ****3/4
8. Vs HHH WM 27 - ****3/4
9. Vs Orton HIAC Armageddon 2005 - ****3/4
10. Vs Batista WM 23 - ****1/2

Just off the top of my head, might be missing something to fill the #10 spot tbh :p.

As far as the most impressive top 10 list... for WWE only it likely would be Undertaker for me. I'm not as high on some of the "bigger" HBK matches so Undertaker would be above him for sure. HBK is likely second though.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
10. Undertaker Vs Yokozuna at Royal Rumble 1994

I might have overrated his match Vs Yokozuna at Royal Rumble 1994, but I love that match. I watched that match on a tape when I was like maybe like 2 or 3 years old, and I fell in love with this shit. It took like 15 guys to put down Taker and Taker still whooped their ass.
I'm glad you included Taker vs Yoko from RR94. I love that match. Re-watched it around 20 times when I was a kid.

·
Still the GOAT
4,787 Posts
Don't know why anybody would have TLC with Edge on a "Greatest Undertaker Matches" list when it is anything BUT great. Contrived spots on top of contrived spots, that contest which featured a whole host of bumps that you wouldn't expect Taker to take, but after the initial WHY IS TAKER DOING THIS TO HIMSELF factor it loses all of it's shine. Actually, I felt the entire Edge-Taker series was quite overrated, not to say that it isn't a pretty damn great series (because it is), just that none of them are really classic matches besides MAYBE the Wrestlemania match. Backlash, Judgment Day, & Summerslam are all great matches by their own though so there's only one true flaw in the series.

The fact that half the lists so far don't have TAKER VS BROCK IN THE CELL on it gives me high blood pressure :p.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XXV)
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Bad Blood 1997)
Undertaker vs Kurt Angle (No Way Out 2006)
Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar (No Mercy 2002)
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XXVI)
Undertaker vs Randy Orton (Armageddon 2005)
Undertaker vs Batista (Wrestlemania 23)
Undertaker vs The Rock vs Kurt Angle (Vengeance 2002)
Undertaker vs Kurt Angle (Smackdown 4/9/2003)
Undertaker vs Edge (SummerSlam 2008)

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
1-Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels WM 25
2- Undertaker vs Edge HIAC match ( TLC combination inside HIAC + No Blood and pulling off this fantastic match made it more impressive)
3- Undertaker vs Kurt Angle No Way Out 2006
4- Undertaker vs Shawn Bad Blood HIAC
5-Undertaker vs Mick Foley KOTR
6- Taker vs Angle SD 2003
7- Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy RAW ladder match
8- Undertaker vs Edge WM 24
9- Undertaker vs Bret Hart SS 97
10- Undertaker vs CM Punk WM

HM : Batista vs Taker at WM, it was probably the best big man vs big man match of the past decade, but I'm not really a fan of bigman slugfests ( thats why I didn't enjoy any Taker/Brock match or Taker/Kane )

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Don't know why anybody would have TLC with Edge on a "Greatest Undertaker Matches" list when it is anything BUT great. Contrived spots on top of contrived spots, that contest which featured a whole host of bumps that you wouldn't expect Taker to take, but after the initial WHY IS TAKER DOING THIS TO HIMSELF factor it loses all of it's shine. Actually, I felt the entire Edge-Taker series was quite overrated, not to say that it isn't a pretty damn great series (because it is), just that none of them are really classic matches besides MAYBE the Wrestlemania match. Backlash, Judgment Day, & Summerslam are all great matches by their own though so there's only one true flaw in the series.
Don't know how anybody can fault the Summerslam match, that was a legit classic fest from the beginning to the end.

And Edge/Taker is closer to underrated than overrated.

The fact that half the lists so far don't have TAKER VS BROCK IN THE CELL on it gives me high blood pressure :p.
Dunno about others, but I think Brock/Taker at No Mercy 2002 isn't one of the best ever so many people treat it to be is because, while it was good in the first 10 minutes with both men fighting it out, once Taker's cast was off it was practically a squash match since Taker did little offense for the next 10 minutes. It should have been an all out back and forth brawl from start to finish like Taker/Flair at WM 18, Taker/HHH at WM 17, and Taker/Mankind at Summerslam 1996. Its last half is not worth watching at all unlike the viewers enjoy a squash match.

If it would have been booked as 20 minutes of unending brawls before Brock reversed that Tombstone, it would have been so much better and I would have included it in my list for sure. 10 minutes of brawl and 10 minutes of squash did not do diddly for me.

·
DIRK
10,344 Posts
1. Vs HBK HIAC Badd Blood 1997 - ***** and GOAT match ever for me
2. Vs HBK WM 26 - ***** and GOAT WM match ever for me lol
3. Vs HBK WM 25 - *****
4. Vs Brock Lesnar HIAC No Mercy 2002 - *****
5. Vs Kurt Angle SD 2003 - ****3/4 and GOAT WWF/E TV match for me
6. Vs HHH WM 28 HIAC - ****3/4
7. Vs Angle No Way Out 2006 - ****3/4
8. Vs HHH WM 27 - ****3/4
9. Vs Orton HIAC Armageddon 2005 - ****3/4
10. Vs Batista WM 23 - ****1/2

Just off the top of my head, might be missing something to fill the #10 spot tbh :p.

As far as the most impressive top 10 list... for WWE only it likely would be Undertaker for me. I'm not as high on some of the "bigger" HBK matches so Undertaker would be above him for sure. HBK is likely second though.
This list is pretty pefect imo. Not sure about the Orton HIAC because I don't remember it AT ALL, but everything else is right.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I can't be bothered to do my own top ten right now but one Taker match that always gets over looked in my view is the Undisputed title lader match he had with Jeff Hardy on Raw in 2002, brilliant match.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts

I actually loved the TLC match with Edge. Granted it did seem like a spotfest but isn't that what most TLC matches are? In all fairness they did a good job telling a story, in that match you literally felt like Edge was doing all he could to keep Taker down long enough. Some people don't see it but I feel like just some of the little things we saw helped tell an amazing story.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Taker/Michaels Bad Blood (1997)
Taker/Kane Unforgiven (1998)
Takaer/Punk Hell In A Cell (2009)
Taker/Michaels WM 26
Taker/HHH WM 28
Taker/HHH King Of The Ring (2002)
Taker/Lesnar No Mercy (2002)
Taker/Kane WM 20
Taker/Edge Summerslam (2008)
Taker/Edge One Night Stand (2008)

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,714 Posts
1. Taker vs HBK @ Mania 25: My favorite pro wrestling match of all time. Great build, loved the 'special attraction' feel to it, and such a perfect 3-part, rollercoaster story told inside a 20 x 20 ring.

2. Taker vs HHH @ Mania 28: Not a great Hell in a Cell match, by that stipulation's standards. I think the Cell was simply used to represent something that both Taker and HHH once conquered at one point in their careers, and was mere window dressing in the actual match. But the build for this match, which really started way back with the first match against Shawn back in '09, was incredible, and the whole structure of how the story was told was brilliant. Taker's entrance, him pulling off his hood to reveal the new hairdo, the staredown that ended with all three men looking up at the Cell as it lowered and Metallica starting to play, just awesome. The match itself was amazing and played to both guys' strengths, and that last image of Taker, HHH and Shawn at the top of the ramp looking at the audience and embracing is one of the best Mania moments in history.

3. Taker vs Bret Hart @ Summerslam '97: Almost went with their match at One Night Only, which is also excellent, but I went with my gut and picked Summerslam. Great build leading to it all summer throughout the Canada/USA storyline, and great drama with HBK as the guest ref. One of the earlier matches in which people saw that Taker was capable of being so much more than just a typical big guy wrestler/brawler type.

4. Taker vs HBK @ IYH: Bad Blood: Have to give props to the first-ever Cell match. A stamp in WWE's history.

5. Taker vs Brock Lesnar @ No Mercy '02: Great brawling, total bloodbath, one of the last great HIAC matches ever.

6. Taker vs Kurt Angle @ No Way Out '06: Fantastic match that I wish had taken place at Mania 22 a month later. I'm not saying I wanted Angle to beat the Streak, just that this was such a higher profile match that could've drawn big for Mania instead of Taker's 9-minute "brisk workout" of a Casket match where he got stuck working with Mark Henry.

7. Taker vs The Rock vs Kurt Angle @ Vengeance '02: One of the best triple threat matches ever.

8. Taker vs Batista @ Mania 23: The match that deserved to close Mania instead of going on 4th out of an 8-match card.

9. Taker vs Edge @ Summerslam '08: Excellent blowoff match to end the Taker/Edge feud. Always felt this was an underrated classic. Despite the new PG-rating restrictions, the two put on an awesome back-and-forth war and pulled off some very cool spots, like Edge being chokeslammed from the top rope through a table on the floor, Taker being speared through the Cell wall, and then being speared again off one announce table and through the other.

10. Taker vs HBK @ Mania 26: I maintain that their first Mania match was better overall, but you can't deny that the drama was tenfold in this one. There were little variations of similar spots they did at Mania 25, little changes here and there, and it stands out on its own for that. Very emotional ending.

Honorable mentions:

- Taker vs Randy Orton @ Mania 21
- Taker vs Edge @ Mania 24
- Taker vs The Rock @ King of the Ring '99 (great Attitude Era match in my view; most epic Taker DDT of all time!)
- Taker vs Kurt Angle @ Smackdown in September 2003

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The Batista match was absolute balls

1 - 20 of 22 Posts