Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Instead of doing a top 20, for heels and faces, I decided to mix the two together and do a top 10 for each. It's about the same as all my other threads but the lists are smaller, which actually might work out better cause you really only need a top 10 list for Heels and Faces.

So Here's mine
Faces
(1)Ricky Steamboat- Steamboat is the regarded as the ultimate babyface. Nobody could play a better face then Steamboat. When I considered making this thread, I didn't even have to think who my first pick would be. Also I don't even know if Steamboat has ever been a heel in his career. Making him proberly the only wrestler never to be a heel, but I might be wrong about that, feel free to correct me.

(2)Hulk Hogan- Hulk Hogan during the 80's and early 90's was the biggest wrestler in the business. You could proberly argue that being a babyface throughout those periods helped him an awful lot, because Hogan was a hero to many and a popular figure. But as a face, Hogan was also regarded as an ultimate babyface, which is why his heel turn was so iconic.

(3)Stone Cold Steve Austin- Steve Austin may have been an anti-hero but that didn't stop him from being a hero. Austin as a face was beast. He did what he wanted, said what he wanted and kicked ass which is what people like to see. His feud with Vince McMahon is a great example of what made Austin such a huge face, because Stone Cold rebelled against the system and everything it stood for.

(4)Undertaker- Undertaker is another who is regarded as an ultimate babyface. People have said that Taker can't turn heel now because he's just too popular and respected. Although it's arguable, I would agree with this. Taker as a face is awesome, which is ironic because his character is so dark yet it's seen as a face. Taker can talk about death and hell and people will cheer for him despite those being evil things. As Taker once said "I built hell, brick by brick".

(5)Mick Foley- Mick Foley is very diverse in the way he can play both a heel and a face well. But I take Foley as a face over heel anyday. Foley is another person I like to consider an ultimate babyface, and I know I might be overusing that word "Ultimate" a lot, but being in the top 5, you would have to be an ultimate babyface. Anyway, I think Foley works as a face so much because of both sympathy and because he's hardcore. He get's sympathy because of the fact that he's not the best looking wrestler out there and was considered least likely to be a world champion yet he kept at it, and over the course of his career people cheered him on and wanted to see him achieve his dream. He also put his body on the line a lot which has garnered him a lot of respect from fans.

(6)Rey Mysterio- Here's another guy that I can't really picture as a heel. I know he did play a heel for a brief time in WCW, but Rey has spent the majority of his career as a face, and for good reason. Everything about the guy says face all over. From his moveset, to his appeal to the fans and kids, as well as the fact that he just dosen't look like a heel type.

(7)Dusty Rhodes- The American Dream Dusty Rhodes in his heyday was a great babyface. His fued with Ric Flair is one fine example of this. Rhodes was a very popular babyface who was loved by the fans.

(8)Sting- The Sting/NWO fued could almost be comparable to that of Austin/McMahon. It was a fued which saw the dark warrior Sting, take on the powerful NWO, who spent 96/97 dominating WCW. Had Starrcade 97 gone the way it should have, it could have been much more bigger then Stone Cold's first stunner on Vince McMahon. But besides all that, Sting as a face was awesome.

(9)Randy Savage- Has anyone ever seen Wrestlmania VII? That iconic moment when Savage reunited with Miss Elizabeth and the huge pop they got. People loved Savage an awful lot as a face. When Savage and Hogan teamed up, people back then were so excited because you had the two biggest faces in WWF together. Despite all that Savage played his role as face great.

(10)Bret Hart- Hart was perfect for playing the role of a babyface, as he had the natural look of a face. A guy who wasn't huge and muscluar or flashy, but nonetheless was over as hell with the fans. Despite the whole Canada Vs US angle, Hart played a great face.

Now on to the Heels
(1)Vince McMahon- How can anyone disagree. Vince McMahon is arguably the devil of wrestling as he is just pure evil as a heel. What makes his heel persona work is that he was the powerful chairman of the WWE, so theorically he had the resources and the power to make people's lives a living hell. As the theme goes, "You got no chance in hell".

(2)Jake Roberts- If Vince was the devil then Jake was one of his demon's, because that's how I always saw Jake. He was like a demon. Everything about him said heel and he was evil to the core as a heel.

(3)Ric Flair- The a Dirtiest player in the game, Ric Flair. In the 80's when he was with the Four Horsemen, they nearly caused riots they were so hated. But that's just one of the many examples of why Flair was a great heel. He also played perfect enemy to all the babyfaces as well. His fueds with Ricky Steamboat, Hulk Hogan, Sting and Dusty Rhodes all speak for themself.

(4)Triple H- I remember the days of the Cerebral Assassin and thinking to myself. God this man is one sadistic bastard. the things he did were so bad. Some example of HHH's heelish antics. Running over Steve Austin, attempting to end Shawn Micheals's career with the Sledgehammer in 2002, the Helmsley/McMahon regime, as well as his antics in the Power- Trip and Evolution.

(5)Hulk Hogan- I know I have him down in the top faces, but Hogan has played both heel and face roles perfectly. As a face, Hogan was loved by the fans, but as a heel Hogan was despised as well. When Hogan turned heel, the ring was littered with garbage which is a true testament to Hogan's ability. Nobody has ever pulled off what Hogan did that night. Even Steve Austin's heel turn was considered a failure, and next to Hogan, Austin would have been the second biggest heel turn of the century. Maybe John Cena could change that though.

(6)The Rock- Whether he was Nation Rock, Corporate Rock or Hollywood Rock, The Rock played the role of heel perfectly. He was great at getting the fans riled up and garnered a lot of heat for himself at the same time. I think most people would agree that Rock heel > Rock face, because I think most people, even the haters think that it was Rock's best work(s).

(7)Million Dollar Man Ted Debiase Sr- Ted was golden as a heel. The rich gimmick has always been very good at garnering a lot of heat from the fans. But Ted was one of the first to use it so I consider him the best. That combined with his great mic skills allowed him to a great heel.

(8)Honky Tonk Man- A suprising choice yes, but let me explain. Honky Tonk Man was extremely hated as a heel. Whether it was legit or not, I don't know. But nonetheless he got a lot of heat and was great at riling up the crowds. He is also known to have the longest Interconinental Championship reign in history which is not much but it was a time when he trully flurished as a heel.

(9)Eric Biscoff- I think Biscoff deserves a mention. His actions as President of WCW certainly made him a very hated person, as well as his time as Raw General Manager. Which by the way was epic. Next the Vince he was the best none wrestling character, onscreen character.

(10)Raven- Crucifying Sandman is regarded as one of the most if not THE most despicable incidents in wrestling history. The incident garnered a lot of heat and attention and really made Raven out to be a real villian. Raven like Jake ROberts was a psychological heel. His actions were dark and disturbing and its because of this, that I put him 10th on my top 10 list.

So there you go. Top 10 faces and heels. Let's see your lists now.

·
Banned
2,229 Posts
Top 10 Faces

1: The Undertaker
2: The Rock
3: Hulk Hogan
4: CM PUNK
5: Sting
6: HBK
7: Stone Cold Steve Austin
8: DDP
9: MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE
10: Chris Benoit

Top 10 Heels

1: Scott Hall
2: Hollywood Hogan
3: Triple H
4: The Undertaker (heel days)
5: Brock Lesnar
6: The Rock (heel days)
7: X Pac
8: Randy Orton (Legend killer)
9: Edge
10: Kurt Angle

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Awh, I can never do anything consistent or resembling a balanced view, but for ultimate heel Ted Sr comes to mind, and for ultimate face does Shawn Michaels.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
It would take way too long for me to think of a top ten, but Austin is the #1 face and Eddie Guerrero is the #1 heel.
IMO, Guerrero was too likable. Not that Randy Orton has anything to do with it, but that's why it confuses me when people praise him for getting cheered as a top heel back in 09. It's like wut? That means he's shit at his job, surely...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Top 10 Faces

1. The Undertaker
2. Sting
3. Steamboat
4. Stone Cold
5. Mick Foley
6. Hulk Hogan
7. Macho Man
8. The Rock
9. Eddie
10. Ultimate Warrior

Top 10 Heels

1. Mr. McMahon
2. Hollywood Hogan
3. Rowdy Roddy Piper
4. Ric Flair
5. HBK (MUCH better as a heel imo)
6. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
7. Scott Hall
8. The Undertaker
9. The Iron Sheik
10. The Million Dollar Man

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Faces

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Austin
3. Savage
4. Sting
5. Ultimate Warrior
6. The Rock
7. Bret Hart
8. Goldberg
9. Cena
10. Road Warriors

Heels:

1. Ric Flair
2. The Rock
3. Roddy Piper
4. Hollywood Hogan
5. Ted DiBiase
6. HBK (pre-hiatus)
7. HHH
8. Sgt Slaughter (iraq era)
8. Scott Hall
9. Kurt Angle

Not including vince, heenan, and other non wrestlers

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Top 10 Faces

1: The Undertaker
2: The Rock
3: Hulk Hogan
4: CM PUNK
5: Sting
6: HBK
7: Stone Cold Steve Austin
8: DDP
9: MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE
10: Chris Benoit

Top 10 Heels

1: Scott Hall
2: Hollywood Hogan
3: Triple H
4: The Undertaker (heel days)
5: Brock Lesnar
6: The Rock (heel days)
7: X Pac
8: Randy Orton (Legend killer)
9: Edge
10: Kurt Angle
LOL, come on.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
IMO, Guerrero was too likable. Not that Randy Orton has anything to do with it, but that's why it confuses me when people praise him for getting cheered as a top heel back in 09. It's like wut? That means he's shit at his job, surely...
The whole if you get boos you are doing your job thing is pretty silly. But since there isn't a 3rd sound that people use besides cheers and boos, the whole heel dynamic always gets confused, and it is hard to read unless you are there live.

sometimes when you are doing a really great job as a heel, eventually the boos are going to turn to cheers, if you are doing your job and entertaining people. Thats why they usually start new guys off as heels- it usually works best, as they gain respect from the audience for their performances, people start cheering and then you know it is time to turn them face.

Then there are the guys who are career heels, and can't do anything about it. Doens't mean they are any less great. But there are guys that just don't work as faces- JBL, Dibiase are two examples. I have a feeling That punk is going to end up like that pretty soon. They are just guys that people like booing because they seem like pricks.

Then there are guys that get the 'you suck, go home boos''. But it usually takes a while before the crowd's real opinion can be determined, because they boo guys they want to see, and guys they don't, for different reasons.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Faces.

1. Ricky Steamboat
2. Hulk Hogan
3. The Rock
4. Steve Austin
5. Randy Savage
6. Rey Mysterio
7. Dusty Rhodes
8. Shawn Michaels
9. Bret Hart
10. Ricky Morton

Heels

1. Ric Flair
2. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
3. Roddy Piper
4. Ted Dibiase
5. Jake the Snake Roberts
6. Arn Anderson
7. Vince McMahon
8. Triple H
9. Bobby Heenan
10. Eddie Guerrero

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
Faces:
1. Steamboat
2. Hogan
3. The Undertaker
4. The Rock
5. Steve Austin
6. Bret Hart
7. HBK
8. Bruno Sammartino
9. Bob Backlund
10. Dusty Rhodes

Heels:
1. Vince McMahon
2. Ric Flair
3. Hogan
4. Roddy Piper
5. Jake the Snake Roberts
6. Ted Dibiase Sr.
7. Iron Sheik
8. The Rock
9. Triple H
10. Bobby Heenan

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Top 10 Face characters.

Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Sting, Ricky Steamboat, John Cena, Bret Hart, Rey Mysterio, Dusty Rhodes, Diamond Dallas Page

Top 10 Heel characters.

Triple H, Ted DiBiase, Jake Roberts, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Shawn Michaels, Randy Savage, Raven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts