Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully it appears that we're finally done watching Brodus Clay squashes. Finally he's lost a match. Finally the dude is involved in a feud. After however many months we had to watch him dance>squash>dance it's about damn time.

Sandow is squashing opponents. Okay he's pretty fresh still so I'll cut WWE slack there, but Zeke Jackson? Come on. If I have to watch a squash victory I'd like it to at least make sense.

Now Sin Cara is doing it. He had a short feud with Chavo before his release, and a decent feud with Hunico while he was Sin Cara Black. Then he was out with an injury. Now, upon his return, he's just squashing jobbers including Hunico who's done nothing but job since the DiBiase thing. Back to square one I guess?

All that is pretty insignificant though compared to Ryback. Every time I see two faceless indy wrestlers in the ring I just fast forward my DVR now. It was funny for a couple of weeks. Now it's just become insulting. Is this guy ever going to get in the ring with a real Superstar? And no, I don't mean another NXT/Superstars reject like Derrick Bateman.

Bottom line, too much of this crap overall. It's not fun to watch when you know exactly who's going to win every single week. "Feed me more"? No thanks, I'm full.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've personally never liked squash matches, or people that have to conastantly job to everyone, especially when the squashers are no talented dicks like brodus clay and the jobbers are wreslters like Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater and Tyson Kidd.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well you have to look at it with a different POV think of it as you who is running the company, sometimes there have to be squash matches to get younger wrestlers recognized because i bet after someone sees a huge dude kick the crap out of someone and start dancing they are going to start talking about it, i like Ryback's matches although i'd like to see them be a bit longer because Ryback kicks ASS! and you forgot to mention Great Khali is a jobber i think at this point aswell.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you have to look at it with a different POV think of it as you who is running the company, sometimes there have to be squash matches to get younger wrestlers recognized because i bet after someone sees a huge dude kick the crap out of someone and start dancing they are going to start talking about it, i like Ryback's matches although i'd like to see them be a bit longer because Ryback kicks ASS! and you forgot to mention Great Khali is a jobber i think at this point aswell.
You're missing the point. A few squash matches here and there make sense, but that's not what we're getting. It's become excessive and downright repetitive. Also, this isn't about who's a jobber and who isn't, so I don't see what Khali has to do with anything.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Thankfully it appears that we're finally done watching Brodus Clay squashes. Finally he's lost a match. Finally the dude is involved in a feud. After however many months we had to watch him dance>squash>dance it's about damn time.

Sandow is squashing opponents. Okay he's pretty fresh still so I'll cut WWE slack there, but Zeke Jackson? Come on. If I have to watch a squash victory I'd like it to at least make sense.

Now Sin Cara is doing it. He had a short feud with Chavo before his release, and a decent feud with Hunico while he was Sin Cara Black. Then he was out with an injury. Now, upon his return, he's just squashing jobbers including Hunico who's done nothing but job since the DiBiase thing. Back to square one I guess?

All that is pretty insignificant though compared to Ryback. Every time I see two faceless indy wrestlers in the ring I just fast forward my DVR now. It was funny for a couple of weeks. Now it's just become insulting. Is this guy ever going to get in the ring with a real Superstar? And no, I don't mean another NXT/Superstars reject like Derrick Bateman.

Bottom line, too much of this crap overall. It's not fun to watch when you know exactly who's going to win every single week. "Feed me more"? No thanks, I'm full.
WWE needs more squash matches, the format that you have been force fed and are craving again leads to a whole load of mess when it comes to guys trying to get over. It also leaves one guy out on top who's over because he barely loses (Cena) whilst everyone is stuck in a huge mid-card rotation where they go through periods of winning and periods of losing. If you lose as much as you win, you can't get over because you're not a credible threat. Thus most people on the roster aren't credible.

Now you add squash matches into the mix and you get guys like Ryback who can start to really make a name for himself, so when he finally does face a real superstar it becomes more of a big deal.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
WWE needs more squash matches, the format that you have been force fed and are craving again leads to a whole load of mess when it comes to guys trying to get over. It also leaves one guy out on top who's over because he barely loses (Cena) whilst everyone is stuck in a huge mid-card rotation where they go through periods of winning and periods of losing. If you lose as much as you win, you can't get over because you're not a credible threat. Thus most people on the roster aren't credible.

Now you add squash matches into the mix and you get guys like Ryback who can start to really make a name for himself, so when he finally does face a real superstar it becomes more of a big deal.
agree 100% with this, before the attitude era and mainly wcw, nearly all the matches on free tv where squash matches,

one of the reason ppv buy rates are down is because we see the same two wresters having matches with each other on free tv so why would we pay to see it on a ppv,

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
agree 100% with this, before the attitude era and mainly wcw, nearly all the matches on free tv where squash matches,

one of the reason ppv buy rates are down is because we see the same two wresters having matches with each other on free tv so why would we pay to see it on a ppv,
exactly!!! pretty much the only time you saw the "superstars" face each other on free tv were in tag teams...actual TAG TEAMS. not just people thrown together at the last minute for a match.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WWE needs more squash matches, the format that you have been force fed and are craving again leads to a whole load of mess when it comes to guys trying to get over.
Incredibly vague. What does that mean? The product has run fine for years and I've never seen them do this kind of thing before. Again I'll reiterate, a few squash victories are fine. They make sense to start off with, but not to drag on and on and on. Ryback isn't going to get any more over than he already is until he faces legitimate competition. Brodus was over long long before he finally moved on from squashes. Sin Cara doesn't even belong squashing jobbers, he was already past that.

It also leaves one guy out on top who's over because he barely loses (Cena) whilst everyone is stuck in a huge mid-card rotation where they go through periods of winning and periods of losing. If you lose as much as you win, you can't get over because you're not a credible threat. Thus most people on the roster aren't credible.
Beating the crap out of guys who can't win a match to save their lives doesn't make you credible. Beating someone who has the potential to beat you makes you credible. Do you realize you practically just said Cena was the only credible wrestler on the roster?

exactly!!! pretty much the only time you saw the "superstars" face each other on free tv were in tag teams...actual TAG TEAMS. not just people thrown together at the last minute for a match.
This isn't 20 years ago. The product has evolved. Live in the present. They don't separate superstars until PPVs so they can win every match they have on tv. Everyone has to lose sometimes, even Cena (though not nearly often enough). Every wrestler can't be "over" at the same time, and everyone can't win all the time. Fans bitch about Divas matches being pointless. Imagine how much they'd bitch if they felt like every match on the tv card was pointless. Raw wouldn't be what it is today if all matches were squash matches. It'd probably still be a one hour show. You talk about PPV buy rates being low because you see the same two wrestlers wrestle. The attraction is supposed to involve a possible title change, or the culmination, climax, or conclusion of a feud; the possibility of seeing something you wouldn't necessarily see on TV. That isn't enough? If you want a world where superstars only face each other at pay-per-views go find a time machine because it doesn't exist anymore.

And when is that going to happen? 2013? How about 2014? Make a name for himself? Look at the guy. No one would argue that he's ready for real competition. There's no reason to keep doing this dumb "I can beat the crap out of two pipsqueaks at the same time" thing.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Squash matches don't give any momentum for a wrestler like Ryback. It's hard to hate/like this guy because we haven't seen him in a real match and most importantly in a feud. I mean one or two squash matches here and there is fine, I'm fine with that but come on right now there's too many of them.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
Hopefully the large amount of squash matches doesn't last a whole lot longer. Like you said, Clay is now in a feud so his squashes are over. Ryback has been squashing for awhile but it doesn't look like there's a feud on the horizon for him so we should get used to that. Sandow should be put in a feud any time now so he won't be squashing a whole lot longer.

So in reality we just have to watch Ryback squash people now, which I don't think it's terrible, I find his squashes entertaining. He's such a beast.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Squashes are fine for like a month, tops. You can pull out enough new material to keep them going for 3 or 4 matches but after that it's definitely time to jump into a feud. Ryback and Sin Cara have both had more than enough exposure through garbage matches to work legit programs.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Honestly, WWE squashes just irk me for some reason and I'm a guy who likes squash matches (Ryback's one of my favorite guys):

-Every heel outside of the odd monster comes across as if they are far above squashing some jobber and have no penchant for sadism. One of the reasons that Mark Henry was such an effective heel was because the guy really wasn't above going a little out of his way to hurt someone much weaker than him for no real reason beyond liking to hurt people making him look extra scary and fearsome. Every other heel is this hugely narcassistic status whore who're always acting like petulant children whenever they don't get to fight the top guys.

-The squash matches aside from the Ryback and Tensai ones really come off as very rushed. The Brodus ones were especially annoying as the squashes were a complete formality just to provide him an excuse to come out dancing. Being short is one thing, but God forbid they take their time a little.

-Anyone who's actually involved in a program of some kind is too good to be in a squash. They really ought to have more squashes like that time Big Show randomly squashed 3 nobodies during his feud with Mark Henry. Its not like WWE can't afford to have a couple of their higher profile wrestlers in a squash, afterall they can often afford to not have them wrestling at all. Its not even as if it would prevent them cutting promos or having any further storyline build up. This also extends to the "unestablished squashers" like Sin Cara or Ryback. I don't know why WWE feels they can't have guys like them squash jobbers to build credibility while being involved in an overarching program.

·
Shooting the birds down from the trees
4,506 Posts
They just happen far too often to mean anything. Not to mention I like to see a good evenly matched wrestling match. I don't want to see the same predictable match over and over.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not like constant squashes are new
http://www.solie.org/97w_lwwf.txt

Look how many guys have lost 15+ matches, and look how many guys have had win streaks of 15+ matches.
How is a win/loss table from 15 years ago evidence of squash matches? That table doesn't tell us anything other than someone won someone lost.

They just happen far too often to mean anything. Not to mention I like to see a good evenly matched wrestling match. I don't want to see the same predictable match over and over.
This is all I'm saying in a nutshell. Very simple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts