Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, it seems like there are too many young heels at the moment who are just doing the same thing: young, sometimes rich, spoiled, and/or arrogant. Alex Riley has such a character, and I really don't think we need another one like that now. Just see the list:
Alex Riley
Cody Rhodes
Ted DiBiase
Drew McIntyre (though a bit more sadistic)
The Miz (not rich, but cocky and arrogant)
Jack Swagger
Alberto Del Rio (though not that young)
David Otunga

Though some of them have some specific characteristics, at least Rhodes, DiBiase, Swagger, Riley and Miz are just variations of the same characters. Why don't they differentiate themselves more?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You really only have 2 prominent types of heels in my mind, cocky heels and monster heels. none of these guys could pull off monster heel really, all seem to be too small to do that.

And generally speaking, a wrestler doesnt get to pick his style, it was creative wants at the time, especially with some of these guys who are young or newer to the scene, they just do as they are told.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The thing about heels in the WWE is that they all seem to share a very similar gimmick, but it's the ones that make it work that stand out to me. For example, Cody Rhodes has been on his game lately and Alberto Del Rio is amazing already for being so new to the WWE. Guys like Drew Mcintyre and Ted Dibiase are just lacking something. It's not the gimmick all the time, it's the man performing.

For example, give Chris Jericho any gimmick and he's going to entertain. It's funny how true his statement was to Jack Swagger not too long back. Something to the effect of, "you can walk around in a fancy suit and spiky blonde hair, but you're not Chris Jericho." So true. Swagger's good, but not on Jericho's level just yet.

All this being said, I'd like to see some variations in both the faces and heels. Randy Orton stands out as both a face and a heel these days, because he's one of the only guys that has a unique gimmick.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Its really the lack of storyline angles that separate them.

Thats why we hear the same damn promo for each of them every damn week.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
They have way too many new heels right now in my opinion. Every new wrestler that they have brought to the main event this year has been a heel. they need to create some new face main eventers.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I agree with you. I'm starting to get bored with all these heels.

It's not the fact that there's so many cocky heels, it's the fact that the WWE has built their babyfaces like shit.

You'd think with all these heels they're pushing to the moon, they'd push at least 1 or 2 faces to balance it out.

The booking of their babyfaces have been complete shit.

Look at who's holding the belts. With the exception of The Hart Dynasty, who's been booked like shit since they won the Tag Titles, and Melina who just won her belt. Every title holder in the WWE is a heel.

Hopefully, they'll start building up guys like Kofi, Daniel Bryan, and Kaval to be their babyfaces of the future.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
That's right, we need self-hating heels.

And I'm only half-joking.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
your thread would've been better if it was 'too many goody two shoes' faces

outside of maybe daniel bryan, none of the faces are badass ... with bryan he's already showed an aggressive side.

·
Asuka
96,211 Posts
They have way too many new heels right now in my opinion. Every new wrestler that they have brought to the main event this year has been a heel. they need to create some new face main eventers.
It would be nice to see a new main eventer be a face but I can understand why they haven't done it. Cena is the only guy on Raw that draws and Orton is gaining huge momentum as a face, and (while he's not there as of now) Triple H is at the point where he'll never get booed again, so they have their faces pretty much in place. As far as heels go, though, the big heels on Raw are Jericho, Edge, Sheamus and Barrett. Jericho and Edge are essentially main event jobbers, filler. Which means they need other heels to step up and be the more important players right now. Sheamus and Wade have done that, Miz will when he gets called upon.

On SmackDown!, it's the same situation. Taker will never get booed again in his life just like Triple H, and Rey is completely incapable of being a heel. It would never work, it would be a horrible idea and there's no need. Those 2 guys are huge, and so they have their faces pretty much in place. They're thin on heels that matter, it's just CM Punk and then a bunch of losers, which is why they tried to give Swagger a title reign, but of course as we all knew, it wouldn't work and so they had to bring another heel up to main event level, Del Rio, which is working pretty well right now.

The only person who could really be elevated to being a main event face at this point is Kofi Kingston if Rey shoots down the card just a fraction. I'm not sure why they haven't capitalized on his popularity. Other than that there's no room. Daniel Bryan might get a crack at it one day, maybe, but it's hard on Raw when the faces have such firepower.

·
18,787 Posts
your thread would've been better if it was 'too many goody two shoes' faces

outside of maybe daniel bryan, none of the faces are badass ... with bryan he's already showed an aggressive side.
I like the road they've taken with Kofi, from the Orton feud to the Ziggler feud. He's ultimately a goody-two shoes face with flashy colors and flashy moves, but he's shown off a fairly brutal badass side when provoked, and that aids him in being credible to transition to the main event level.

·
Indeed
16,935 Posts
We need a Freudian badguy or an Anti-Villain. Perhaps a maniacal heel who relishes in inflicting pain on his fellow superstars, but is not so much a monster heel (as in, just goes out and squashes people) as he's just a guy who loves destruction - basically a complete monster with no regard for anybody (like Edge during his feud with Taker going into Summerslam). There are a great deal many villain variations WWE can choose from, and only 2 are ever used modern day - Cocky and Monster. Chris Jericho in 2008 was a Freudian villain - he believed he had a reason to turn his back on the WWE fans. He believed HBK was the bad guy, and it created the best feud of 2008. The problem lies in the storylines calling for such complex characters. Such feuds are nowhere to be found. The Nexus storyline, which had IMMENSE potential, degenerated into a plain STABLE WAR because of how it presented its characters. The break-up and subsequent recovery of Team WWE was incredibly half-ass.

What happened to the Chessmasters like Vinnie Mac and Horseman Ric Flair, who are behind the hero's misfortunes and instigate entire feuds? Or a Badass heel, like Austin was early in his WWF career? The Evil Foreigner is pretty much dead weight, but knowing WWE, they still use it from time to time. Heck, a noble heel with heroic goals (sorta like CM Punk during the initial stages of his heel run last year) would be a fresh change of pace. Not so much a Tweener as just a guy doing what he must by any means necessary to be WWE Champion, but doing so with qualities that might befit a face. There are so many avenues WWE can take with heels, as well as faces, but the product lacks the storylines to bring these sort of characters to the forefront, so the cocky, arrogant guy is used as a safeguard, since they can be used in the simplest of situations.

·
18,787 Posts
Definitely agree that the Jericho and Punk heel turns of '08 and '09 were so delicious in part because they were about the fans turning on them. They, in their own eyes, saw themselves remaining exactly the same, but the fans had turned on them. Those are often the very, very best of all heel turns.

One thing I love about Punk's character, even as he's gone cold this summer, is that he maintains his sincerity. He wanted to get Rey Mysterio to be a part of his SES because he thought he could use him as an attraction to bring the young fans of WWE into the Straight Edge lifestyle. That's a powerful character motivation. When Punk destroys JTG and tells the SES that this is what he expects of them, it's not cowardly or especially nefarious, it's just a cult leader attempting to exemplify what he wants from his followers. The SES stable has fallen on hard times but the main prime mover behind it remains perfectly sound, and it's all down to Punk owning the role and the writing of it being more intelligent than the average material.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
While heels shouldn't exactly be humble and down to earth, I get what the OP means. Many of the younger heels seem very cookie cutter and generic. I guess part of the reason is because they have to develop their characters in front of the entire world instead of like the territory days where they could gain notoriety one area at a time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts