Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any truth these two hated each other? Sometimes they had small fall outs during commentary but I always assumed this was worked.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Any truth these two hated each other? Sometimes they had small fall outs during commentary but I always assumed this was worked.
Oh yeah there was nuclear heat between them. Heenan's mentioned it more then once in the various shoot interviews he's done over the years as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats kinda cool, it's like Tenay is sat awkwardly on the side lines, haha. Heenan is always having small digs during commentary like "Are WE allowed to speak!?"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like both tbh, Schiavone could of done more to bounce off Heenan but I think they worked well together, Heenan is very, very good though, WCW should of had him managing in 1998.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Schiavone was a douche. Heenan the GOAT.
In all fairness though Heenan was a fish out of water in WCW to begin with.

I've also heard stories that both Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone were campaigning for the EP job that Eric Bischoff ended up and getting and when they didn't get it JR signed with the WWF/WWE and Schiavone was left feeling extremely bitter and jaded for the rest of time in WCW. He thought about quitting the but the paycheck he was receiving at the time was worth more to him then his pride, dignity and self-respect.

Not excusing the way Schiavone treated Heenan but I can see why it happened in a way. Something similar happened between JR and Jesse Ventura back in 92 too.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
There was obvious heat between Schivone & Heenan. I think some of it had to do with the fact that Schivone seemed to talk over The Brain, Tenay, Zbysko, or correct them instead of working with them.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Yeah, you could tell there was tension between the two by the way they interacted with one another on commentary. Schivone always came off as a know it all and would talk over everyone on commentary. Schivone was irritating as an announcer.

Even Mike Tenay's commentary at WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 during the Mysterio vs Psychosis match was better than anything Schivone as ever done on commentary.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,338 Posts
You could see the absolute disdain Heenan had for Shiavone the night Gorilla died. Later we all found out that Shiavone was kicking and screaming because he didn't want Heenan to acknowledge his best friend's death on the air.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Lol, when I saw the thread title i was trying to figure it if you meant Bobby Heenan or Bobby Eaton

You could see the absolute disdain Heenan had for Shiavone the night Gorilla died. Later we all found out that Shiavone was kicking and screaming because he didn't want Heenan to acknowledge his best friend's death on the air.
I didn't know that. I can't remember, but what ended up happening?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I know when Gorilla Monsoon passed away while Heenan was in WCW, Heenan wanted to address it on Nitro and Tony was against it since Monsoon never worked for NWA/WCW. But Heenan was allowed to do it. Then I also read that Tony wanted his seat to sit higher than Bobby's, and Bobby made reference to it after Tony said something, and Bobby goes "what? I can't hear you from down here". As only Bobby could lol!!

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
Didn't Heenan say something about Schiavone trying to keep the other announcers clueless as to what was supposed to happen?

Schiavone wasn't bad but he came off as he thought he was much better than he actually was and acted like the big dog, since he had been in WCW longer than any other announcer they had.

To be honest, without Heenan, Schiavone would have probably been pretty bad on commentary. IMO, the color commentator makes the play by play announcer appear much better than he actually is, with JR and Joey Styles being the exceptions, although Lawler & JR thrived working with one another.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bobby did mention Gorilla's passing on air, it was very brief but you could tell he was terribly upset, he was visibly trying to stop himself from crying. It wasn't until years later that Bobby mentioned in an interview that Tony had tried to veto him mentioning it on air. There has also been other accounts of Tony hiding show information from Bobby, and Mike to make himself look better. You could tell Bobby and Tony were not necessarily fond of one another, lots of comments and jabs were made that came off incredibly awkward on TV often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ремонт недорого + балкон

Квалифицированные специалисты выполнят отделку жилых и нежилых помещений в срок и качественно. Гарантия от года до трех лет, Низкие цены , помощь по закупкам материалов. Закажите отделку квартиры новостройки и мы сделаем отделку балкона бесплатно !!!
ремонт на кухне в картинках

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Didn't Heenan say something about Schiavone trying to keep the other announcers clueless as to what was supposed to happen?
This is definitely true but on some level I think this was probably a good thing. Jim Ross himself has said he prefers when he doesn't know the results as the element of surprise can sometimes make his announcing better, or more "realistic" at least.

Schiavone himself has apologized in the past and said he did pretty much wrong Hennan at various times during their run in WCW, but I do think what Schiavone did here wasn't that big of a deal.

One of the other posters mentioned it but Schiavone definitely changed and became a lot more pessimistic once he ended up getting passed on that promotion which went to Bischoff instead. I think the guy was a very good announcer, it's just that a lot of his flubs were very popular to criticize lol. Maybe it had to do with the internet but a lot of times fans wouldn't let him get away with anything. I still crack up at the "tonight is the greatest night in the history of our sport" or "that was the greatest moment in the history of our sport" jokes, and how he'd pretty much call every move a side walk slam lmao.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts