Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
---

These 8 posts are why AEW will never reach the heights that people want it to. Anyone who disagrees with AEW being awesome doesn't matter, personal attacks to anyone who doesn't jump on board with TK, insult someones wife because they don't like AEW or just push them aside as "haters" and continue the AEW is awesome narrative.

In reality AEW on it's best day is a good wrestling show and on it's bad days it's one of the worst wrestling shows in modern history. Someone was going on yesterday about how the episode from last week was the perfect episode of wrestling and my immediate thought was "This guy hasn't seen much wrestling"

In regards to Tony Khan someone put it best. He is learning on the job but in reality he has no fucking idea what he is doing right now. His top babyface is doing a Stone Cold imitation from 1998, Brodie Lee is like a poor mans Undertaker, Jericho comes across like a poor mans Flair from the late 1990's, MJF is every arrogant heel ever, they've knocked off multiple WWE angles such as Jericho/Tyson (A direct copy of Austin/Tyson from 1998) and they're now bringing more and more famous wrestlers from the 1990's in.

Anyone who genuinely thinks AEW and Tony Khan write good stories doesn't know good story telling I'm afraid. Like, that's not even opinion it's factual the guy just has no idea about writing stories. Who genuinely sits in front of their TV and is super into Chris Jericho and Orange Cassidy's feud with it's main selling points being Orange being bashed by a bag of oranges and Jericho being juiced. Who genuinely tunes into AEW and is into their predictable main events or story telling?

I don't get it from the AEW fans perspective either. If some goober took over my beloved Rugby League team the Sydney Roosters and he was just some big fan trying to be a coach I'd be saying "Fuck this guy off and keep him away from my football team" but for whatever reason people are willing to let Tony Khan write wrestling and pretend he's good at it because...reasons?

It managed 250-300 thousand viewers a week which is half of AEW's audience. AEW had a budget of 100 million dollars and a major TV network but the NWA managed 50% of their audience with ageing former WWE stars, independent stars and Nick Aldis. Let that one sink in.

Give NWA 100 million plus Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Kenny etc and they'd be doing AEW numbers as well.

Hmm nope.

Head booker of ROH from 2009 to 2012. Played a big part in getting them sold.

Authored multiple books that are very popular.

First ever colour commentator for the revised NWA and was involved in their creative.

Was approached by Tony Khan to write AEW but turned it down.

Again, not as irrelevant as people think.

So he was wrong about one thing therefore he is out of touch with today's world? THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE.

Also, please explain how Cornette failed with SMW. He wanted a successful regional territory which he achieved, he had the likes of Undertaker and Shawn Michaels wrestling his shows, created future stars and was the number 2 independent group in the United States just behind ECW. If that's a failure then sign me up.
please take this onboard

we do not care about AEWs heights or what it should reach in every second guys’ opinion

we want it to keep doing what we like and keep existing

it is doing that - and that is all it needs to do

it definitely does not need to be everything for everyone and make the whole wrestling world happy. Least of all Cornette

look at TNA - still existing, still giving their fans what they like - that is more than enough

·
Registered
901 Posts
I enjoyed watching Smoky Mountain Wrestling in the 90s and I still like it today. If you like Smoky Mountain Wrestling too then check this out...

Cornette was running same nostalgia act back in 1994

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tried giving that video a listen and immediately turned it off. As a Christian, not a fan of Cornette taking God’s name in vain. Cornette is absolutely annoying and cusses way too much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tony has been doing very good so far. There are some plot holes and some inconsistencies, but for the most part, 85%+ of AEW's content has been good. If there was no pandemic, we would be looking at an even higher-rated company right now. They were on a serious hot streak going into March. He does need some help in tying up loose ends and in continuing feuds after the big blowoff, and he does need some pointers in structuring the flow of the show at times, but that will come in time as he gets more experience. For a company that is 1 year old, they have blown WWE out of the water as far as the quality of content. That's all I ask for as a fan. Its already reported how open Tony is backstage and how receptive he is to the talent's ideas.

As far as Cornette, he literally bitches about everything. (not here but in general) Cornette is coming off like if he invested millions of dollars into his own promotion, he wouldn't own his creative and want to be in charge of booking. Of course he would want control of the TV content. Any one of us would lol.

The 5-10 times I have listened to his podcast was all I needed to hear to see that he's just an angry old man that loves to nitpick everything that the general audience could give 2 shits about. He said the Kingston/Cody match was shit solely because they used the thumbtack spot. Like seriously? That one spot means that the entire match was shit? Has he ever put anything over on AEW or WWE?
I jumped in at this point because that’s a misrepresentation (or misinterpretation) of what he and Brian Last said.
Apart from the thumb tacks, they loved everything about the segment and match. I think they started by saying it was almost the perfect segment by AEW. And in my opinion, they’re right. They weren’t needed, especially given the fact there was another match with weapons later that night and there was another tack spot the next week.

The overuse of high spots and dives in the majority of matches is jarring. It’s the rule of diminishing returns. Nothing means as much as it used to. Kendo sticks, tacks, barbed wire.

I remember being amazed as an 11 year old watching Survivor Series 1995 when Diesel launched Bret Hart off the apron through the announcers table. I must have rewound my VHS tape 40-50 times on the spot. 25 years later and not a flicker, because it was used so often. I was not familiar with ECW at that time so was not aware of the freqir

King of the Ring 1998 was the first time I saw WWF use thumb tacks and that was (if I remember correctly) the only time they were used until Royal Rumble 2000).

Now, AEW have used them in various guides nearly 10 times in just over a year, and 2 weeks in a row.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I don't get it from the AEW fans perspective either. If some goober took over my beloved Rugby League team the Sydney Roosters and he was just some big fan trying to be a coach I'd be saying "Fuck this guy off and keep him away from my football team" but for whatever reason people are willing to let Tony Khan write wrestling and pretend he's good at it because...reasons?
A fan ... fucking with my team? A fan fucking with MY AEW? Lol what kind of mentality is that? Its not mine, yours, cornettes or anyone's but Tony Khan's property. He can do whatever he wishes to do with it. Its his money.. not ours and certainly not Cornettes.

Exactly how Vince doesnt give two shits about its fans and nobody bats an eye, in-fact people fuckin bow down to him during his entrance for serving them shit for over a decade now. But that is fine by me.. because It's Vince's company. Ofcourse its profitable because some people DO actually like that bullshit he calls a wrestling show each week. So I understand that. More power to him and his fans.

Similarly, just because you dont like AEW, or Cornette doesnt like it, Tony Khan, the fucker who actually invested his family money into it and took a risk, he should just give up on what his vision is to please you and Cornette and 5 other people here?

AEW is profitable in not even just 1 year. They were getting a good live gate attendance, ratings are better than the network requirements, so much so they extended their deal and want a second show. It is working just fine for the guy. Dont worry about his property so much.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don’t believe him. Cody, Kenny, and the Bucks did a fair share of booking until Tony took over at the end of 2019.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I don’t believe him. Cody, Kenny, and the Bucks did a fair share of booking until Tony took over at the end of 2019.
They have mentioned multiple times that its a combined effort.. like any good creative team. But every good creative team needs that one creative head that gives it a thumbs up or thumbs down, thats TK.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They have mentioned multiple times that its a combined effort.. like any good creative team. But every good creative team needs that one creative head that gives it a thumbs up or thumbs down, thats TK.
But that’s not what Cornette is saying. He’s not saying Tony gets the last word, he’s saying Tony is the only one booking.

·
Registered
711 Posts
---

These 8 posts are why AEW will never reach the heights that people want it to. Anyone who disagrees with AEW being awesome doesn't matter, personal attacks to anyone who doesn't jump on board with TK, insult someones wife because they don't like AEW or just push them aside as "haters" and continue the AEW is awesome narrative.

In reality AEW on it's best day is a good wrestling show and on it's bad days it's one of the worst wrestling shows in modern history. Someone was going on yesterday about how the episode from last week was the perfect episode of wrestling and my immediate thought was "This guy hasn't seen much wrestling"

In regards to Tony Khan someone put it best. He is learning on the job but in reality he has no fucking idea what he is doing right now. His top babyface is doing a Stone Cold imitation from 1998, Brodie Lee is like a poor mans Undertaker, Jericho comes across like a poor mans Flair from the late 1990's, MJF is every arrogant heel ever, they've knocked off multiple WWE angles such as Jericho/Tyson (A direct copy of Austin/Tyson from 1998) and they're now bringing more and more famous wrestlers from the 1990's in.

Anyone who genuinely thinks AEW and Tony Khan write good stories doesn't know good story telling I'm afraid. Like, that's not even opinion it's factual the guy just has no idea about writing stories. Who genuinely sits in front of their TV and is super into Chris Jericho and Orange Cassidy's feud with it's main selling points being Orange being bashed by a bag of oranges and Jericho being juiced. Who genuinely tunes into AEW and is into their predictable main events or story telling?

It managed 250-300 thousand viewers a week which is half of AEW's audience. AEW had a budget of 100 million dollars and a major TV network but the NWA managed 50% of their audience with ageing former WWE stars, independent stars and Nick Aldis. Let that one sink in.

Give NWA 100 million plus Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Kenny etc and they'd be doing AEW numbers as well.

Hmm nope.

Head booker of ROH from 2009 to 2012. Played a big part in getting them sold.

Authored multiple books that are very popular.

First ever colour commentator for the revised NWA and was involved in their creative.

Was approached by Tony Khan to write AEW but turned it down.

Again, not as irrelevant as people think.

So he was wrong about one thing therefore he is out of touch with today's world? THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE.

Also, please explain how Cornette failed with SMW. He wanted a successful regional territory which he achieved, he had the likes of Undertaker and Shawn Michaels wrestling his shows, created future stars and was the number 2 independent group in the United States just behind ECW. If that's a failure then sign me up.
Cry me a fucking river guy...

Nothing will make you happy you enjoy your snide and snarky comments bro you're only outting yourself further as a crotchety old man.Giving me shit because I called a near universally praised episode of dynamite as near perfect?????GTFO!

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
But that’s not what Cornette is saying. He’s not saying Tony gets the last word, he’s saying Tony is the only one booking.
What the fuck does Cornette know from one meeting and sitting in his couch? I would take Cody, Bucks and TK's word over his.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,133 Posts
that fucking potato on the right there?

View attachment 89350
"Now that's what you call a real tag-team!!!" Yee-Haw! "Better than eating a bucket of chicken, riding on a motorcycle, across the Ethiopian desert!" Yee-Haw! "Oh hey, who's that over there screwing my wife now?!" "Vince Russo?!" Yee-Haw!

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
"Now that's what you call a real tag-team!!!" Yee-Haw! "Better than eating a bucket of chicken, riding on a motorcycle, across the Ethiopian desert!" Yee-Haw! "Oh hey, who's that over there screwing my wife now?!" "Vince Russo?!" Yee-Haw!
You should have added his "HAAA Haa ha" laugh somewhere. It cracks me up everytime.

He is entertaining, i like his rants, but its mind boggling to me people take his OPINIONS as gospel. He is a good storyteller..I will give him that. Thats all. If he was anything beyond that he would be IN the business side of things and not outside in the sidewalk yelling like a crazy person. I am done with Cornette now.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,133 Posts
For an "out of touch" guy who no one listens too, his views always seem to generate multi-page responses on here. He obviously is using hyperbole when he says he brings 150,000-200,000 viewers to AEW, but he brings more than zero. They may not agree with him, but everyone in that company is listening to what he has to say. That much is obvious.
Oh, so NOW you agree with his "assumption", huh? Funny, it was just last week when I was banned for creating a thread about this very subject, but you all told me, "he's just giving his fans what they want" blah, blah, blah. Sure. :poop:

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,133 Posts
he failed during the lowest point in wrestling (until now) in an area with no money.

AEW is around 750k viewers on a top tier cable channel.
Please tell us... what channel, time and total viewership you have?

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,133 Posts
You should have added his "HAAA Haa ha" laugh somewhere. It cracks me up everytime.
I would have added in his constant "ahem" noise clearing his throat (because of all the Diet Sprite he drinks) and of course, his "I mean, what the fuuuuuuck?", if anything was to be added. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Oh, so NOW you agree with his "assumption", huh? Funny, it was just last week when I was banned for creating a thread about this very subject, but you all told me, "he's just giving his fans what they want" blah, blah, blah. Sure. :poop:
What? Where did I agree with it? I said it was obvious hyperbole.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cornette is absolutely annoying and cusses way too much.
I agree he curses a bit too much. The phlegm that rattles around when he clears his throat has a hypnotic quality though. Almost like a signal or activation. That mucus permeates, enters, and captures your soul. You are now indoctrinated and walk the path.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What did people expect? Did you seriously think a smark wouldn't write his own show? The same smark who booked his own fantasy wrestling program and has been a subscriber for the Observer for 30 years or something.

Hell, if I had 100M and I created a wrestling company I'd want to write the storylines too. I don't think there's anything bad about Khan writing the show per se. The problem is he has surrounded himself with other people who don't have booking and writing experience. I think if he actually surrounded himself with experienced, former bookers and those were the ones who helped him write and format the show instead of Elite + Jericho, AEW would fare off better.

Still better than Raw tho.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.