Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ted Turner was an "idiot" because he wasnt directly involved and EB misused his money. Dixie was an idiot because she was fooled by the likes of Russo and then Hogan/EB. TK does the opposite
when you realize the bucks and omega are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tony has been doing very good so far. There are some plot holes and some inconsistencies, but for the most part, 85%+ of AEW's content has been good. If there was no pandemic, we would be looking at an even higher-rated company right now. They were on a serious hot streak going into March. He does need some help in tying up loose ends and in continuing feuds after the big blowoff, and he does need some pointers in structuring the flow of the show at times, but that will come in time as he gets more experience. For a company that is 1 year old, they have blown WWE out of the water as far as the quality of content. That's all I ask for as a fan. Its already reported how open Tony is backstage and how receptive he is to the talent's ideas.

As far as Cornette, he literally bitches about everything. (not here but in general) Cornette is coming off like if he invested millions of dollars into his own promotion, he wouldn't own his creative and want to be in charge of booking. Of course he would want control of the TV content. Any one of us would lol.

The 5-10 times I have listened to his podcast was all I needed to hear to see that he's just an angry old man that loves to nitpick everything that the general audience could give 2 shits about. He said the Kingston/Cody match was shit solely because they used the thumbtack spot. Like seriously? That one spot means that the entire match was shit? Has he ever put anything over on AEW or WWE?
Yeap, in his mind, the whole match between Kingston/Cody was now ruined because of the thumbtacks spot, the same match he praised seconds before. What kind of childish mentality is that?

At this point it's obvious He's just saying things for shock value and because it gets people talking.

He throws objectivism out of the windows by refusing to give AEW credit for anything. Theres a clear difference between objective criticism and just pure hate, and He falls on the latter.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I find cornette to be very stuck in the 80s and pretty dumb.Some people may enjoy him but I'm definetly not one of those people.
Again, he's forever been, "stuck in the mud, spinning his tires" living in the 1980's. Hey, see what I did there? Mud. Tires. ;) ha-uh, ha-uh, ha-uh Sorry, just had to clear my throat for the 500th time. ha-uh

Other than his immense knowledge about the history of wrestling, generally speaking to the masses and his fanbase, he has nothing relevant to offer any promotion, in 2020.
Some more offtopic thoughts, for whatever reasons ...
The talk between Cornette and TK happened and Cornette quoted him. He even used the phrase "exact words". This thread is not about, who Cornette is or you like him or not. There are tons of threads for this.
This thread is about Tony Khan made himself the main booker from the very beginning and obvisouly won`t change that in near future. :(

·
Registered
711 Posts
The talk between Cornette and TK happened and Cornette quoted him. He even used the phrase "exact words". This thread is not about, who Cornette is or you like him or not. There are tons of threads for this.
This thread is about Tony Khan made himself the main booker from the very beginning and obvisouly won`t change that in near future. :(
I'm not believing cornette for a sec,unless I hear audio from Tony it's just made up.Look at WWE there product stinks and they have tons of writers and people working in the product.

Reactions: Garty

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,133 Posts
As many a user say here on the forum, "where's your proof that Tony Khan actually said that?" "Is there any audio or video recording, written transcripts, court-room sketches, sign language, that prove he even met Tony Khan?" Until you show me some evidence, I don't believe this for a second.

Vince is the guy who has the money and writes WWE TV. Tony is the guy who has the money and writes AEW TV. Other than a few letters of the alphabet, both men have the same type of control over their respective companies.

·
Registered
22,729 Posts
Other than his immense knowledge about the history of wrestling, generally speaking to the masses and his fanbase, he has nothing relevant to offer any promotion, in 2020. He will never understand, nor admit, that the type of wrestling he wants to see in 2020, is not the type of wrestling, fans want to see, in 2020. Okay, maybe, if you want to give him his 200,000 viewers thing, go for it.
The main issue with this argument is that it's not like the masses are flocking to this new era of wrestling fans allegedly want. That's not to say the new era is doing awful, it's doing good all things considered. But it's not like it's doing so good that his ideas or suggestions are preposterous. There's probably a healthy medium between what he wants and what The Elite wants that could please an even bigger audience.

Maybe something where you don't take away the high paced action in general, but more easy to catch stories are told, and if someone is going to do a tack spot it's done for a reason. Where big moves can happen, but you're not blatantly ignoring rules to do it. Something where you allow an Orange Cassidy to exist, but you keep him away from your top more serious acts.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Ted Turner was an "idiot" because he wasnt directly involved and EB misused his money. Dixie was an idiot because she was fooled by the likes of Russo and then Hogan/EB. TK does the opposite, is a wrestling fan, knows his wrestling and is doing quite well for around a year almost, yet still even that is also bad somehow.

Alot of these people seem pissed off at TK because they probably wanted to be the bookers or at high positions running the show because they have been in the business for X amount of years. That's the vibe I get from guys like Cornette, Bully Ray and Disco.
Nailed it

always be wary of somebody who crits a product and then says ‘if i was there...’

’if i was in the back....’

they‘re trying to neg you into a job

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm not believing cornette for a sec,unless I hear audio from Tony it's just made up.Look at WWE there product stinks and they have tons of writers and people working in the product.
As many a user say here on the forum, "where's your proof that Tony Khan actually said that?" "Is there any audio or video recording, written transcripts, court-room sketches, sign language, that prove he even met Tony Khan?" Until you show me some evidence, I don't believe this for a second.

Vince is the guy who has the money and writes WWE TV. Tony is the guy who has the money and writes AEW TV. Other than a few letters of the alphabet, both men have the same type of control over their respective companies.
Are you so full of hate for WWE, that you cannot talk about AEW, without saying something about stupid WWE?
Cornette said already last year, that he and TK talked. So you say Tony Khan hires people (i.e., FTR), who sit in a podcast with a guy, who puts words into the mouth of TK, he never said?? Then TK is the main booker of AEW or he is an idiot without authority. :(

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As a writer, some of these cards drive me bonkers. There is no continuity, no variety, two of the same gimmick match in the same night (two garbage wrestling matches one week, two tornado matches another week), no care for the women's division, no demographic diversity, etc. If you think you can write the show with no knowledge of writing, why not get out there and show Kenny Omega how to wrestle a AAA match? Leave this shit to the pros. If you know you need top wrestlers to deliver matches, you can see that you need professional writers.
This show exists purely upon the wrestling matches that deliver unrestrained, uncanned wrestling.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Again, he's forever been, "stuck in the mud, spinning his tires" living in the 1980's. Hey, see what I did there? Mud. Tires. ;) ha-uh, ha-uh, ha-uh Sorry, just had to clear my throat for the 500th time. ha-uh

Other than his immense knowledge about the history of wrestling, generally speaking to the masses and his fanbase, he has nothing relevant to offer any promotion, in 2020. He will never understand, nor admit, that the type of wrestling he wants to see in 2020, is not the type of wrestling, fans want to see, in 2020. Okay, maybe, if you want to give him his 200,000 viewers thing, go for it.

As I keep saying, there's a reason he's been fired from every job he's had, there's a reason he's not currently employed, there's a reason his phone isn't ringing with job offers, there's a reason why he's so hated among many, there's a reason why he still holds many grudges (to this day), with every person, office and promotion, he's ever worked in. He's a mark for the business. He's a mark for himself. I don't know how anyone can still take him seriously.
This

The dudes wet dream was real in the form of nwa and it gets next to no views as a free YouTube show ..times change fans change ...

·
Registered
670 Posts
How exactly?

As far as I'm concerned. There would be no AEW without Omega, Bucks and Cody.
they found a guy to fund their indie nonsense and hire a bunch of their friends.

also i didn't say cody. he might be a mark for himself but so was dusty and he actually knows what he's doing. omega and buck nonsense is never gonna be mainstream. if TK is smart he's ask himself do i wanna play with my friends and be a niche or do i wanna quadurple my ratings with real talent?

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
The show as a whole is very low brow and inconsistent. Tony Khan is not a good writer if that's the input we've gotten in 10 months.

He used to write his own wrestling shows when he was a kid, so of course this is him fulfilling a lifelong fantasy. The problem is that there's people far more qualified that will likely get ignored because Khan will put himself infront of the health of his promotion. Don't expect Heyman to get hired and put on creative any time soon, or anyone else with more experience than Khan

·
Registered
13 Posts
One thing that drives me nuts about Cornette, is how he bitches about how peoples body's look, like calling Janela jelly(not that i'm a fan of Janela) then goes on about the rock n roll, midnight, and the heavenly bodies, seeming to forget that we can watch the old tapes and clearly see that all of them had shit bodies just like jelly.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
they found a guy to fund their indie nonsense and hire a bunch of their friends.

also i didn't say cody. he might be a mark for himself but so was dusty and he actually knows what he's doing. omega and buck nonsense is never gonna be mainstream. if TK is smart he's ask himself do i wanna play with my friends and be a niche or do i wanna quadurple my ratings with real talent?
Firstly, He didnt hire Bucks or Omega and told them to run his show for him. The guy writes and finalizes everything himself. I'm sure its a collaborative creative process as it always should be, but he is the final filter and it has been made known multiple times by now.

Tony Khan found them and contacted the Bucks. Not the other way around. He wanted to build his entire company around what these guys were doing IN the indies.

Indies were red hot and these guys were making big money, it is well known these guys were making equal or more than what WWE pays their top wrestlers. Bucks and Cody sold out a fuckin 10,000 arena that featured indie wrestling with strictly indie wrestlers in it. Do you realize that feat? It has not been done since WCW went under, NWA Powerr didnt do it, INDIE guys did it. As a wrestling fan and a businessman he knew there was money in it and thats what he built his new company based on.

I am sure if Cornette had any idea to "Quadruple" anything, he wouldnt be sitting at home yelling at wrestling in his underwear. If he has the so called "200,000" people who tune out based on his dislike, they should help him kickstart his own fuckin company that he can book and they all can enjoy. But wait.. it wont ever happen because he is delusional.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the only thing Cornette has done in any relevance the past decade is being a guest on on the Ruthless agression documentary and the Dark side of ring documentaries. and even then if Vince Russo wa brought up he's goes on a crazy rant like a teenage girl. he's pathetic

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,109 Posts
One thing that drives me nuts about Cornette, is how he bitches about how peoples body's look, like calling Janela jelly(not that i'm a fan of Janela) then goes on about the rock n roll, midnight, and the heavenly bodies, seeming to forget that we can watch the old tapes and clearly see that all of them had shit bodies just like jelly.
all the guys you named had better bodies than janela.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think the biggest improvements can start with dark. They've had character development and storylines on it see Brandi/Allie & Shawn Spears. And I'm surprised by how much I can enjoy a card full of squash matches. The characters and storylines that they've done on dark have worked. They just need to do more of it.

I don't want to see Tony Khan in the ring unless he trains as a wrestler. AEW has too many over non-wrestlers.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.