Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's simple, really. Tonight's Raw didn't prove that many things, but it did prove one very important thing: Jerry Lawler is completely unneeded, outdated and a drag on the product for which he announces, and most importantly, WWE has a completely ready man to take over the job, especially with Michael Cole continuing on as an obnoxious heel, and that is Josh Matthews.

Matthews brings a youthful vitality to the proceedings. If Vince is reaching out to the young audience, which obviously he is, there's no reason to keep Lawler around anymore. Lawler sounds bored most of the time, and his babyface act is shallow and irritating. To say that Lawler is like an old pitcher who's lost his fastball would be a dramatic understatement. He can't even keep up with Cole anymore, particularly with Cole playing this snarky, caustic heel character behind the table. Example: Cole berates The Hart Dynasty for being black holes of charisma and Lawler's response is, "Come on!" It's just sad. Then there's Lawler's physical appearance--he looks old--and Matthews's, and Matthews is more relatable to kids as well.

Lawler shouldn't be tossed aside like a used tissue, but he really ought to be phased out within the next year or so. Let him be MC for the Hall of Fame and make some appearances but they've just about squeezed about as much out of him as a weekly commentator as I think they can, without prolonged annoyance for many members of the audience. Tonight's Raw illustrated that there's a guy who's fully ready to take his seat for him, who will be able to engage with Cole as a face announcer without being embarrassing in doing so and who would ultimately be more agreeable to the audience Vince is trying to attract.

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
Agreed, he hasn't been entertaining since he started becoming a sympathiser of babyfaces, MITB topped it off for me, when he sounded genuinely gutted that Kane cashed in on Rey.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Agreed completely. Not only is Mathews a breath of fresh air from Lawler's decade of awfulness, but he and Cole have fantastically natural chemistry that Cole and Lawler have not been able to create despite working together for years.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I've realized Lawler needs to get replaced by Josh since the first time Cole and Josh teamed up on NXT to be honest.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
Cole and Matthews are easily some of the most entertaining commentating i've heard in a very long time. i don't think i've enjoyed listening to two mens banter this much since JR and heel King. their schtick is just too good to pass up.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Couldn't agree more. The two are hilarious together. I was a huge King mark when I was young and watching the attitude era but he bores the hell out of me now, especially without JR. It was a breath of fresh air to actually have entertaining commentary on RAW

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
To say that Lawler is like an old pitcher who's lost his fastball would be a dramatic understatement. He can't even keep up with Cole anymore, particularly with Cole playing this snarky, caustic heel character behind the table. Example: Cole berates The Hart Dynasty for being black holes of charisma and Lawler's response is, "Come on!" It's just sad. Then there's Lawler's physical appearance--he looks old--and Matthews's, and Matthews is more relatable to kids as well.
I literally spit out my water after reading that. That is hilarious and funny thing is your right. Lawler doesn't have any comebacks or counter towards Cole Heelish comments on the superstars. Mathews counters are on par with Cole's attempt attacks on the wrestlers while King stay quiet and orange.

Agreed, he hasn't been entertaining since he started becoming a sympathiser of babyfaces, MITB topped it off for me, when he sounded genuinely gutted that Kane cashed in on Rey.
and they told his dumbass the rules of MITB in 06 when Edge cashed it in on Cena. So now he still acting shocked and disappointed four years later? lol what a tool.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I love the combo aswell, dates way back to NXT season 1 when I started liking the duo when Cole started turning heel. The thing is, Cole alone is obnoxious and terrible, Matthews alone is boring aswell, but put them together and the strenghts of both come out.

When Cole bashes the faces and Lawler says the corniest possible stuff it makes him (and the faces he's defending) only look worse, Matthews on the other hand calls Cole a no-lifer, tool who nobody cares about etc so it makes for a perfect balance. It just looks bad when the heel commentating is overwhelming the face supporter which is why Cole/Matthews work so well together, it actually looks like they're having fun attacking each other for the lulz all the time.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
it was so seamless when Cole made insults Matthews did back - when it happens to king he just pouts and acts like a gigantic baby with a fat old pussy - Cole & Matthews mesh like butter on toast.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
couldnt agree more - mathews knows how to get the job done - also has great chemistry with cole.
i will wear a party hat and celebrate when king is off the show :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
King was good when his was with JR. But ya I agree that Matthews should replace him as he's much better with Cole. For PPV's I think they should use Grisham, Cole & Striker, I really like Smackdowns announce team

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Cole and King have just never had any chemistry together. Cole/Matthews have an incredible amount of chemistry, because you can tell they're friends and enjoy ripping into eachother.

Cole and Matthews are only going to get better as well. I actually really enjoyed the Divas match this week, because the commentary was awesome. Contrast that to King's calling of a Divas match, which is just him talking about how he faps to the Divas.

Not only was the banter entertaining, they both actually told a story and wanted to be there. Half the time, King doesn't have any clue what's going on in WWE, even on the very TV show he has to watch each week.

Wouldn't it be fitting if they finally put King out to pasture on Old School Raw night?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
josh Matthews was fantastic, but he is not a color commentator he is a main voice kind of guy. i have no problem having Josh call raw but not with cole. send cole to sd with stirker send grisham to nxt and make josh and king do raw

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
I've realized Lawler needs to get replaced by Josh since the first time Cole and Josh teamed up on NXT to be honest.
100% agreed.

From the very beginning of NXT, I realized the problem with Raw's commentary wasn't that Jim Ross was replaced with Michael Cole, but that Jerry Lawler hasn't been replaced with Josh Matthews. The biggest difference is that Matthews gives a shit about what he's talking about, and Lawler dosen't.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Matthews and Cole together are actually pretty funny

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
josh Matthews was fantastic, but he is not a color commentator he is a main voice kind of guy. i have no problem having Josh call raw but not with cole. send cole to sd with stirker send grisham to nxt and make josh and king do raw
Easy fix: make Mathews the play-by-play guy and have Cole on color duty. Granted, Cole as a color commentator seems ridiculous when he doesn't know any of the damn moves, but since when does that really matter anymore? He'd be perfect in that role. For as entertaining as Cole has proven to be in this new gimmick, we've already seen that a heel play-by-play guy just doesn't work because it gets in the way of the action. Simply switching their roles could make for some of the best commentary in years.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Josh Matthews is the best commentator in WWE. I'd sooner have him replace Cole, to be honest.

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
I like Josh Matthews commentating. And yeah, he should definitely replace Lawler. Lawler is just not the same as he was back in the Attitude Era.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I couldn't agree more that they need to replace Lawler. I dunno' if I would prefer to see Matthews or Striker on color commentary though

1 - 20 of 53 Posts