Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Unless Toni is getting called up to the main roster next week this is officially rock bottom for her. Losing on the pre-show to some nobody who just got her first real win at Toni's expense.

·
25,857 Posts
Unless Toni is getting called up to the main roster next week this is officially rock bottom for her. Losing on the pre-show to some nobody who just got her first real win at Toni's expense.

Yeah, disappointing to see Toni losing the match there. She really should be called up to the main roster. Unless they decide to have her join with someone to go after the tag titles I don't think she really has much to do there.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts

Yeah, disappointing to see Toni losing the match there. She really should be called up to the main roster. Unless they decide to have her join with someone to go after the tag titles I don't think she really has much to do there.
Her entire run in NXT has been incredibly disappointing, anyway, but I still think she has the potential to be a star on the big stage. They have wasted so much of her prime already in NXT UK and now in NXT the last few months. It's time to give her a real shot and SmackDown needs someone like her. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

·
25,857 Posts
Her entire run in NXT has been incredibly disappointing, anyway, but I still think she has the potential to be a star on the big stage. They have wasted so much of her prime already in NXT UK and now in NXT the last few months. It's time to give her a real shot and SmackDown needs someone like her. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
It sure has, I don't know why it is that they aren't very high on Toni but with NXT being so ring work centric they probably aren't too impressed with her ring work. It must be because in terms of looks she is among the best and also has decent fan support. Like you I hope she is called up, SD would perhaps be the best brand for her but then again it is not like things are going well with the women on the main roster either.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
It sure has, I don't know why it is that they aren't very high on Toni but with NXT being so ring work centric they probably aren't too impressed with her ring work. It must be because in terms of looks she is among the best and also has decent fan support. Like you I hope she is called up, SD would perhaps be the best brand for her but then again it is not like things are going well with the women on the main roster either.
We know Triple H is obsessed with workrate and nothing but workrate so of course he sees an athlete like Zoey Stark and immediately thinks she should be ahead of Toni. But then again, Ember Moon is a great athlete, too, and she hasn't done shit since returning to NXT, either. They have basically turned her into Shotzi Blackheart's sidekick. It's pretty pathetic, actually.

Hopefully Toni has better luck with Vince.

·
Devil's Blood
3,420 Posts
LOL better luck with Vince? We'll see.

Yeah, I knew she was going to lose tonight but I didn't fully count her out. Unfortunately I was right and she did lose. I've read abroad that the win helps Stark and doesn't damage Toni. They're kinda right but being a white hot indie star and being a year long champ in NXT UK and the 2018 MYC Winner in the WWE world to see her lose in a match like this after a follow up loss to Shirai a few weeks ago is just...ugh.

I dread the main roster run. I could see her in a Rhea situation who will be pushed but never truly win the big one. Hey maybe I'll be wrong and Rhea defeats Asuka. We'll see. Not that is matters for the Toni conversation at hand really. Just drawing hypothetical parallels.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
LOL better luck with Vince? We'll see.
We've seen this before. Women Triple H didn't like succeeding on the main roster and women Triple H pushed to the moon not working out on the main roster.

I dread the main roster run. I could see her in a Rhea situation who will be pushed but never truly win the big one. Hey maybe I'll be wrong and Rhea defeats Asuka. We'll see. Not that is matters for the Toni conversation at hand really. Just drawing hypothetical parallels.
1) I'm 99.9% certain Rhea is winning the title on Sunday even though she shouldn't.
2) Things can only get better for Toni on the main roster. Not a single good thing has happened for her in NXT. From getting pinned by the likes of Kacy Catanzaro and Zoey Stark to the half assed Io Shirai stuff (lame, uninspired build up and not even getting a Takeover singles match) to the feud with Ember that was teased and never really happened. This run has been absolutely terrible from day 1. Yeah, the women's storylines on the main roster aren't great right now, but I think she would still take working with Sasha Banks, Bayley and Bianca on Friday nights over this nonsense.

·
Devil's Blood
3,420 Posts
We've seen this before. Women Triple H didn't like succeeding on the main roster and women Triple H pushed to the moon not working out on the main roster.
I would agree but I won't. Theres no rhyme or reason for half of the shit WWE does. That's not even me shitting on the product. There's so many NXT stars that have been brought up that are neutered, mishandled or lose their momentum. Their call up record is inconsistent. Yeah, not everyone is gonna be THE ONE or the star but they completely get rid of what they were known for in NXT usually.

1) I'm 99.9% certain Rhea is winning the title on Sunday even though she shouldn't.
2) Things can only get better for Toni on the main roster. Not a single good thing has happened for her in NXT. From getting pinned by the likes of Kacy Catanzaro and Zoey Stark to the half assed Io Shirai stuff (lame, uninspired build up and not even getting a Takeover singles match) to the feud with Ember that was teased and never really happened. This run has been absolutely terrible from day 1. Yeah, the women's storylines on the main roster aren't great right now, but I think she would still take working with Sasha Banks, Bayley and Bianca on Friday nights over this nonsense.
1. Refer to my earlier reply to you above for why it's inconsistent and should be feared. Rhea was hot in 2019-2020 and she lost pathetically to Charlotte Flair at WM36. This year she debuts and immediately gets a title shot against Asuka and most likely win. Why? I'd try to find logic but I don't have 4 days to find it.
2. Toni failed in her formal NXT debut last fall by turning heel shortly after being on. This weird heel persona didn't give her much to play with. I like her a lot and she's probably my fave woman employed in WWE aside of Alexa Bliss (as you know) but her heel character is generic crap and not good. Not sure if that's a Toni problem or a writing team/angle problem.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Oh, shit. They actually pulled the trigger. Io Shirai is definitely getting called up now. Maybe Io to SmackDown and Toni to Raw?

Pretty bold move to totally gut NXT right before moving to a different night, I must say.

1. Refer to my earlier reply to you above for why it's inconsistent and should be feared. Rhea was hot in 2019-2020 and she lost pathetically to Charlotte Flair at WM36. This year she debuts and immediately gets a title shot against Asuka and most likely win. Why? I'd try to find logic but I don't have 4 days to find it.
To be fair, this wasn't the original plan and they're not very good at improvising. The original plan was Charlotte beating Lacey Evans for the title at Mania. One of them got pregnant, the other one got Covid so here we are.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
They turned Toni heel at a bad time. They had too many prominent female heels and clearly their endgame was Raquel.

Toni got lost in the shuffle.

·
Devil's Blood
3,420 Posts
They turned Toni heel at a bad time. They had too many prominent female heels and clearly their endgame was Raquel.

Toni got lost in the shuffle.
I don't see Gonzales with the title long.

Toni never got a true title shot. She got a forced Triple Threat at Vengeance Day and an unceremonious weekly NXT first match of the night shot.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don't see Gonzales with the title long.
I do. They didn't build her as this unstoppable monster only to lose the title after 2 or 3 months. Also, most of the big name competition is gone now. I certainly don't want to hear this "best women's division in the world" nonsense anymore without Io and Rhea.

Who could dethrone Raquel? You have Ember & Shotzi, but they're the tag champions right now. I don't know anything about the new Japanese girl but she's not winning the title that soon. Zoey Stark just got her first real win so it's gonna be a while before they build her as a serious contender. Looks to me like Raquel is going to destroy everyone in the division for a while.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts