Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand this might be an unpopular sentiment, but does anyone else think RAW has too much wrestling? I do enjoy a good wrestling match, but I think that there is too much wrestling on RAW, and too little character/angle development for the undercard. RAW devotes a majority of time to the Nexus/Cena feud, at the moment. But they haven't really done any other angles with other guys.

It makes a lot of PPV cards feel rushed, and put together. Usually it's just the usual quick fixes. Run-in's, re-matches from RAW, etc. There isn't anything special to the match. I don't have any emotional investment in the match. I would enjoy anything. ANYTHING. Even with what they did with Morrison & Sheamus. They actually built up a decent program with them, and I actually was looking forward to that match. They had segments, and ability to show their characters.

I feel like WWE should focus on more segments, promo's, etc. in order to build their characters, and storylines. Does anyone else agree with this postulation?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It's not the amount of time they spend on the mic that's the problem. It's what they are saying during those few minutes that bears little meaning.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Not enough in my opinion.

However, recently, the matches have been getting more time on Raw which I have been pleased to see. I've never a fan of the 3 minute Raw matches.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
Too much wrestling on a wrestling show

Classic post

I would like to nominate this for thread of the year

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I understand this might be an unpopular sentiment, but does anyone else think RAW has too much wrestling? I do enjoy a good wrestling match, but I think that there is too much wrestling on RAW, and too little character/angle development for the undercard. RAW devotes a majority of time to the Nexus/Cena feud, at the moment. But they haven't really done any other angles with other guys.

It makes a lot of PPV cards feel rushed, and put together. Usually it's just the usual quick fixes. Run-in's, re-matches from RAW, etc. There isn't anything special to the match. I don't have any emotional investment in the match. I would enjoy anything. ANYTHING. Even with what they did with Morrison & Sheamus. They actually built up a decent program with them, and I actually was looking forward to that match. They had segments, and ability to show their characters.

I feel like WWE should focus on more segments, promo's, etc. in order to build their characters, and storylines. Does anyone else agree with this postulation?
I understand where your coming from but you must remember one thing, its called WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT. The WRESTLING comes before the entertainment.

IMO the story development gets more then enough time. Theres always at least two 20 minute segments, usually in the begining and usually another one towards mid way or the end. Thats a total of 40 mins of non-wrestling time. Not to mention theres commercial breaks and all the guest host stuff.

You also mention everything feels rushed. Well of course it feels rushed they have PPVs every 3 weeks. 3 weeks is not nearly enough time to build meaningful feuds that the audience actually cares about and this is why everything feels crammed in and not played out even though most of the segments are given time. The WWE seems to not understand anymore that if you want the audience to truley care about a feud, you have to give it time to settle in and 3 weeks(Even 2 weeks at times) is just not enough time for that to happen.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much wrestling on a wrestling show

Classic post

I would like to nominate this for thread of the year
There are more aspects to wrestling than just simple in-ring action. It's one of the big reason's I cannot get into the indy's. I feel like the in-ring work can be incredible, but I don't have much desire to see two guys wrestle each other, somewhat arbitrarily. Storylines, angles, things that can give a match purpose.

But I always appreciate when people are condescending.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
There are more aspects to wrestling than just simple in-ring action. It's one of the big reason's I cannot get into the indy's. I feel like the in-ring work can be incredible, but I don't have much desire to see two guys wrestle each other, somewhat arbitrarily. Storylines, angles, things that can give a match purpose.

But I always appreciate when people are condescending.
You don't have to take away that much from the in-ring stuff to build a storyline. The announcers could be a great tool in building a storyline, if used right. The wrestlers can tell the rest of the story by their in-ring work

But in the WWE, it seem announcers do more to get themselves over than get wrestlers over.(Cole is a perfect example)

One of the big reasons i believe people don't give a shit about wrestling anymore is because they don't get what they expect when they tune in to watch a show. People will tune in to watch WRESTLING, but half the show(sometimes the majority of the show) you have people talking and they aren't saying shit

It's like you tune in to watch a football game, and you have the players just standing in the middle of the field trash talking each other and not playing any football. How dumb would that look?

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you mean watching a bunch of jobbers compete against each other to make it seem like it's really a competition, I'd say there's too little "wrestling."

The RAW brand Wreslters that don't Wrestle in the M.E are all jobbers with the exception of Daniel Byran.

Not enough good wrestling IMO, especially compared to Smackdown.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You actually think Raw has too much wrestling on the show? Seriously. Pretty much forever, particular since the brand split has started Smackdown has been the majority wrestling show and Raw has been the promo show.

If anything Raw needs to spend a little more time with their matches rather then promo time. Like someone has already said in this thread, most of the time at the start of the show they have a promo that takes up at least the first 15 minutes of the show. Then your almost guaranteed to get another 10 minute promo in the middle of the show. No to mention the little backstage segments they seem to have after everyone of their matches.

So no, I don't think Raw has too much wrestling, it has too little as far as Im concerned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How could someone think there is too much wrestling on a wrestling show?

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
There's absolutely not too much wrestling. That's a ridiculous sentiment entirely, not just "unpopular."

More attention can be paid to the undercard, and they've proven that with NXT and 30 second time limits on promos. Don't think for a second that the wrestling is getting in the way of character development, because it's not. The problem, entirely, is the time committed to the main event. It can be distributed more reasonably, but it isn't.

That's why we have SmackDown!: Where seemingly everything is executed correctly.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Having just gone to a live taping 2 weeks ago I have to say that I 100% disagree with you, OP. I got around 8 matches including darks and superstars tapings and they were all around the 5 minute mare, which is not what you want when you've paid money to go see a wrestling show.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Too much wrestling? RAW just had one ten minute match, three under four minute matches, a short WWE Title match and a DIVAs match...it's not too much. They give far more time to other segments.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I feel we are lacking character and feud development lately as well. But I also agree that I don't want to lose wrestling time. Here are a couple ideas:

1) Do what they did on Old School RAW where a little box comes up in the corner while the wrestler makes their entrance and cuts a 30-second to one-minute promo. Adds fuel to the match and let's us get to know the wrestler a bit.

2) The WWE should utilize the Internet more and post promos and segments on WWE.com and YouTube. They can make money off ads and then they open up the character development aspect to unlimited possibilities.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
I remember how utterly refreshing it was when Raw kicked off with an Edge/Bourne match instead of a 15-minute promo recapping what happened at a PPV or something. If anything, I think they've just settled into too constant a rhythm of promo/match/backstage promo/short match, etc. That and the quick turnaround between PPVs makes everything feel rushed and artificial.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
too much wrestling? wtf? if the wwe would spend less time doing the same promo for another show 4 times in a 2hr broadcast...yes i know they have to promote but sometimes those promos are too long and are shown too often, split that time up with more matches, or longer matches, stop trying to make bad movies and show the 3 minute ads 4 times during a show you'd have a quality wrestling show. i hate these 3-4 minute matches. because it doesn't make sense for when at ppvs and such they last for almost 10 etc... it just doesn't look natural...doesn't make sense. how come it takes someone 3 minutes to beat someone on tv, but sometimes 10+ to do it on a big show or a ppv? i understand the whole entertainment aspect of wrestling...but it is still wrestling. they could do a better job of building up feuds through matches etc, rather than talking in the ring for 10 minutes.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's absolutely not too much wrestling. That's a ridiculous sentiment entirely, not just "unpopular."

More attention can be paid to the undercard, and they've proven that with NXT and 30 second time limits on promos. Don't think for a second that the wrestling is getting in the way of character development, because it's not. The problem, entirely, is the time committed to the main event. It can be distributed more reasonably, but it isn't.

That's why we have SmackDown!: Where seemingly everything is executed correctly.
That is my biggest complaint. The undercard is rushed. The main event always gets the majority of build, but that's understandable. I'd rather have more segments, and less matches in order for the PPVs to have a better feel. Daniel Bryan, Ted Dibiase, even the Nexus Tag Champs don't get much mic time, if any at all.

I think that matches can get in the way of character development, sometimes. There is nothing exciting about the undercard. They should atleast devote a 5-minute segment for each angle/undercard guy. Segments can go a long ways in helping build a character. If a guy just wrestles every week, and never cuts a promo, how can he get people to care about him? If the guy is a great worker, like Bryan, then it's possible. But Bryan has to evolve his character if he wants to get into the main-event level. And he cannot just do that by simply working matches. He has to get on the mic, talk to the crowd, and give people a reason to care about him.

Fuck, his matches are good, but I have little investment in them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts