Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dispite what that other thread may have hinted at it makes me wonder.

What is the purpose of them in tnas overall business model?

How effectively is everyone invole used or evaluated?

Do TNA pay for their salaries?

There are guys like Gunner who aren't quite hitting their stride yet, why not send them there?

There might be some guys in OVW that are veterans, have been in OVW for a decade now, surely if they aren't ready now then they're never gonna be ready

Surely only the best of the indies should be OVW getting their flaws ironed out so that they can explode onto Impact, so to speak

I dont know how many in OVW right now make their living off of it but.....yeah you don't need me to comment on the logic there

· Registered
787 Posts
If it works like ovw did when the fed worked there they only pay the contracted guys but give ovw money to be a farm system.

Ovw when it was with wwe got all new equipment and stuff and back then also used non wwe talent but as the feds roster grew there the less spots there were.

Basically it's just an Indy fed that gets monthly cash and paid talent to run shows.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

· Registered
482 Posts
Dixie Carter said under the terms of the purchase, Ohio Valley Wrestling talent will remain on the promotion's roster for the time being, though TNA Talent could potentially make their way into the organization.

OVW owner Danny Davis will work closely with TNA executive Bruce Prichard "in the development of the talent through training, live events, and weekly television production allowing talent to explore every aspect of the business."

TNA developmental talent will begin arriving at OVW to begin an "extensive training program." Talent will be selected for the program by Prichard and TNA management, "who will be monitoring the progress of each wrestler at camp and the live events."
This is from when the deal first happened. Most of the people now in OVW (who haven't already been seen in TNA) will never be seen in TNA. TNA bought (I guess?) OVW and instead of kicking the wrestlers already there out, they let them stay and continue to try and prove themselves/fill up the roster (basically they are like a practice squad for TNA up and comers.)

TNA desperately needed a developmental(otherwise, all they could do was sign proven indy talent which WWE grabs the best of anyway.) and now they have one. Now they can take guys like King Mo and Jesse Godderz and mold them into wrestlers the same way WWE does. Before this deal, TNA would have to do trial by fire with guys like Rob Terry, Crimson and by that I mean, they'd have to train them during tv/house shows and such. Now TNA can sign a guy with potential and work on his mic/ring work etc and not have him show up on tv until he is fully ready. (Guys like Sheamus/Wade Barrett spent 2-3 yrs in developmental and Damien Sandow has been doing stints in it off and on since 2002.)

Anyway, don't look into OVW so much right now, for now it seems it's just a place to get green TNA employees more experienced. From here you'll see guys like Sam Shaw joining OVW and some of the older talent, from before the deal, being phased out. I already notice the roster looks different.

Edit: So basically, OVW will really start to pay off in the long run and not so much the short term(accept for making current guys with contracts better.) Now TNA has the ability to sign very inexperienced/non-wrestlers and create them from scratch (truly home grown talent.) College football players(athletes), ex-nfl, olympians, body builders, actors etc. This kind of scouting is how you find the next Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle etc.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
I think taking guys from the indies is better. If TNA has its own development camp like wwe does with fcw they will end up with the same problems fcw gives wwe. The wrestlers coming up from fcw suck. They are being groomed with wwe's generic bland character style. Then they debut on tv with an all new generic name without any real character development and fail badly. Half of them get sent back down to fcw within the first year.

The only real standout fcw guys who are succeeding right now are the guys wwe picked up from roh and other indies. Their own trained fcw guys all lack real development. Essentially they lack real freedom to grow their character/skills. There is no freedom to do that in fcw and there won't be that freedom to do that in ovw under tna's trainers either.

· Registered
1,901 Posts
I can see it has its uses in training up inexperienced talent and maybe, just maybe, someone good will rise up through it, too. But I agree that there is a danger that such a system could just produce a bunch of generic drones, so attention should really be paid to the Indies.

One of TNA's current strengths IMO is the characters in the roster and the freedom they have to express themselves, not just in terms of writing their own promos but in terms of meritocratic achievement based on charisma and work-ethic. While I always get the impression that the WWE decides to push or depush people and that the wrestlers (and the viewers) have little say in the matter, I always get the impression that TNA allows its guys to shine, if they choose to - look at how Robbie E has been allowed to run with his gimmick, with "The List" TV segment etc. Or how Kazaniels came up with WTTCOTW and now have a line of merchandise based around it. Or how Aries just got over through sheer charisma and hard work.

I wonder if people who come up through a school-style system, where they are always wary of doing the right or wrong thing lest they lose their spot etc, will ever have that charisma or initiative to just come up with interesting stuff, or if they will ever have the balls to do anything interesting / challenging.

· Registered
4,791 Posts
I can see it has its uses in training up inexperienced talent and maybe, just maybe, someone good will rise up through it, too. But I agree that there is a danger that such a system could just produce a bunch of generic drones, so attention should really be paid to the Indies.

One of TNA's current strengths IMO is the characters in the roster and the freedom they have to express themselves, not just in terms of writing their own promos but in terms of meritocratic achievement based on charisma and work-ethic. While I always get the impression that the WWE decides to push or depush people and that the wrestlers (and the viewers) have little say in the matter, I always get the impression that TNA allows its guys to shine, if they choose to - look at how Robbie E has been allowed to run with his gimmick, with "The List" TV segment etc. Or how Kazaniels came up with WTTCOTW and now have a line of merchandise based around it. Or how Aries just got over through sheer charisma and hard work.

I wonder if people who come up through a school-style system, where they are always wary of doing the right or wrong thing lest they lose their spot etc, will ever have that charisma or initiative to just come up with interesting stuff, or if they will ever have the balls to do anything interesting / challenging.
Jessie Godderz came up with Mr. Pectacular. King Mo is pretty charismatic, we can even go with Magnus who wasn't a full blown wrestler by time TNA signed him.

· Registered
482 Posts
Jessie Godderz came up with Mr. Pectacular. King Mo is pretty charismatic, we can even go with Magnus who wasn't a full blown wrestler by time TNA signed him.
Thank you. This is part of my point.

Having a developmental territory is not a bad thing. TNA will still recruit from the indies, but now instead of having to wait for a guy to be TV ready, they can pick up a guy whose been on the indy scene 2-3 years and help bring him to the next level. They won't have to rely on WWE to train somebody and then release him or someone to raise up to the top of the ROH ranks. Alex Silva sucks now and is not meant for TNA tv, but with a year or two experience, who knows what he could become (though I don't have high hopes for him lol.)

Rob Terry, Robbie E, Crimson are guys who needed to go down to developmental, but they didn't come from there to begin with. They were straight off the indy scene and thrown on tv, since the developmental deal wasn't in place before then or TNA assumed they were ready enough.

Btw, WWE developmental has came up with tons of talent. When they use to have OVW, they brought up Batista, Lesnar, Mr. Anderson. And as for FCW, NXT was poorly done, most of those guys besides Daniel Bryan weren't ready and the second year was even worse. But they have plenty of talent aside from Rollins and Ohno. Was Dean Ambrose ever in ROH? Anyway, lets say Ambrose, Rollins, Ohno, Brodie Lee and the rest of the good roster were top indy guys... how do you explain Bray Wyatt??

FCW guys now can't break out, just like WWE stars can't because everything is banned and is PC and PG.

TNA, under Hogan/Bischoff especially, will want those break out type of stars. They like compelling TV and like doing shoots and shit. There will be draw backs some guys might be able to talk but can't wrestle, some might be able to wrestle but can't talk, but thats just the name of the game. All TNA can do is try and find potential and bring the best out of it.

· Registered
10,151 Posts
I can give you at least 5 names of guys on OVW with mic skills, character, charisma and top in ring work.
Funny how everyone is now talking about it because it happened the same with TNA, they only started to give a shit about OVW when silva got signed.

One of the things I don't want to see happening is "character assassination", silva wasn't a underdog babyface. He was a crazy tweener at best, cocky with a black jacket and a full beard.
Now we see him on TNA with a clean shave talking about how thankful he is for the opportunity.
If this happens with silvio and compton it's a waste of talent, these guys have been working into building a decent persona and then it gets completely ignored.

· Banned
913 Posts
i wall up to Dixie Carter at a live show and said what are your plans for OVW she said to fill %90 of the tna spots with guys/girls from ovw over the next 5 years.

( this Thread will soon end )

· Registered
4,791 Posts
The thing that about oVw that makes it ideal > indy promotions is unless you can take a lot of bookings in a lot of different promotions and raise your stock/experience you're not going to grow as most indy promotions only run once or twice a month. oVw has weekly shows that helps people be able to get experience more then an indy promotion. Aries, Danielson, Hero, Claudio, Punk, and Joe are the ones who worked multiple different promotions to get experience not all the wrestlers are that lucky nowadays.

· Registered
5,419 Posts
Does TNA own OVW? or just in a partnership with it? Either way why not swap wresters back and forth? I can think of a few on TNA's roster that I would trade with OVW. Or why not have some of OVW's wrestlers be jobbers once in a while on TNA? There are lots or possibilities.

· Registered
9,932 Posts
Does TNA own OVW? or just in a partnership with it? Either way why not swap wresters back and forth? I can think of a few on TNA's roster that I would trade with OVW. Or why not have some of OVW's wrestlers be jobbers once in a while on TNA? There are lots or possibilities.
They own it. TNA really hasn't even began to sink their teeth into OVW as a developmental territory. Give it some time.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
i wall up to Dixie Carter at a live show and said what are your plans for OVW she said to fill %90 of the tna spots with guys/girls from ovw over the next 5 years.
( this Thread will soon end )
I don't know about 90%, but I'm sure there will be guys in their mid to late thirties that are on TNA's roster that won't be around 5 years. Roode, Storm and Aries may still be around 5 years and AJ maybe( He wants to retire at 40). Five years is a long time. I do think that most of TNA's new talent will come from OWV, whether its original OWV talent or new signees that need to be TV ready before debuting. After all it is TNA's developmental territory.

· Registered
988 Posts
I hate speaking negatively of OVW, because its in my home town and want it to be a great organization, but I find OVW wrestling to be very poor quality compared to a lot of other Indy promotions. I almost wish they would focus less on storyline and just wrestle random match ups more and develop that skill. 90% of the roster now I can't and hope to never see on TNA. I can see Cliff Compton on TNA for example, maybe Jessie Godderz, and Jamin Olivencia, and maybe Vaez (but in all honesty I'd rather have Shawn Daivari). But for almost every OVW wrestler I watch every week on TV, I can find another Indy wrestler thats 10x better that TNA should pick up instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.