Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tell a story, how i feel and im sure lots of long time fans feel about the current state of wrestling

once upon a time i loved wrestling

once upon a time i watched wrestling literally 2-3 times a year for the big shows, this time was 02ish-08ish

since 08ish i have been trying to get back into it, i liked the summer of punk last year, there were some good stuff with the rock, but those moments were few and far inbetween, and even with rock there, everything else imo was unwatchable

i don't watch much if any tna, when they went live on that jan 4 show i tuned in, i tuned in the following weeks when they were live
but thats about it, maybe a odd segmant here and there

tna has always struck me as a company that has real potential, everything is there

great roster, a good mix or young and old stars
good channel most get in there homes
a 2 hour timeslot every week with a network that support them

but it needs to be live imo, live tv works in wrestling, going live every thursday is exactly what impact needs

thats why this is there chance to really shake up the wrestling world
i for one will tune in since it live, hoping just maybe they can put together a weekly show that i can really watch and be entertained for 2 hours

wwe is at a near all time low right now, the last month has finally turned me off, part of me has kept watching just out of hope that something good might happen, and just routine

but im done, unless lesnar/rock are there im done, so im hoping tna can replace my 2 hours better, im giving them a chance, if not its back to watching old classics to get my wrestling fix

imo they need to put on great matches and shake things up, they need some sort of shocking storyline to end the show to get fans buzzing

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I don't know about TNA's time being now, especially with them just going live again. Don't get me wrong I've been a fan of TNA since 2002 when it was strictly Wedneday night pay per view shows. Compared to the last few years TNA is doing better and I do hope they have better luck going live this time. When it comes to them shaking up the wrestling world. I think they missed their brightest chance back in 2004-2006. I'd say those years were TNA's best. The X-Division was still innovative and was a strong standing out point from WWE. While the division itself is still around, I don't think it is as strong as it was then. The company also went along way in those years from the end of the weekly PPVs to FSN which was ok. Then they had a short stint as an online show and then over to SpikeTV. TNA has always had some potential in my eyes. But they don't have the brightest management out there. And with people like Brooke Hogan or Garrett Bischoff on the payroll, just because who their fathers are. Doesn't really make the product much better.

If TNA would go back to their roots of pushing the X-Division to the top, keeping certain legends or former WWE names that can still do something and having a similar product to 2005. I think they would have a better product and something somewhat different from WWE or even WCW. Hoping for the best for the company in 2012. But like I said they got some bugs to work out before it's their time.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem with the x division, it doesn't bring in the casuals

thats why the tv title needs to be defended every week only on impact, 20-30 min matches, put the guys that can really go without mic skills in that position, then you have your other big stars in the main event programs

if it was just about the x division guys the rating would never change, it would stick around that 0.9 mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
without ads tna is 1:25 in running time i think, you put in just one 20-30 minute match and you're already left with just an hour left how can you actually build a show with just an hour left? tna have the right format at times but other times its too much time taking up for one segment i.e. when hogan and eazy e would have 3 segments a week 10 minutes each

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
TNA is in a good position. WWE ratings are getting lower and lower. TNA needs to be a real alternative now and take wrestling seriously imo. WWE is becoming a kids comedy show. They need to lure in fans that are turned off by the likes of Brodus Clay and Cena.

·
Registered
603 Posts
problem with the x division, it doesn't bring in the casuals
I think it does, most of my friends never watch wrestling and when they do watch TNA with me they enjoy the X-Division and main event the most.
People love seeing athletic guys pull of amazing moves, and it's not just hardcore wrestling fans.
This is the era of the athlete, TNA should capitalize on that.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
considering how the reaction to the wwe product right now is possibly at its lowest point in years and tna about to start going live, i would agree that now is a crucial time for tna to really try to gain some new fans. the question is will they deliver ? in the past when they have had their chances, they blew it so hopefully tonight and through the rest of the summer , they will pick up their game

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
TNA doesn't get enough justice for themselves or the overall respect of the wrestling community. Since Bischoff and Hogan came in, they are really trying to improve their overall product and really advance the company to new heights. Even though they've failed from a numbers standpoint, you can't help but admire their transition over the past year and the commitment to be different and give fans an alternative when it comes to something fresh. TNA is turning the corner for themselves, no matter what direction the WWE goes in. TNA is building something very nice and I hope & wish it could catapult the company to future success and possibility.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree that with all the changes and the excitement that is happening in TNA right now, I feel that this is TNA's best chance to be successful. They have a balance in their show with the in ring wrestling and backstage segments. They have a new formatting that will be changing on a weekly basis, they have the best roster in professional wrestling, and they are finally going live.
I know the die hard TNA original fans would argue that the company was best in it's early years, but it's not best for companies to revert back to it's past. If you want to make a statement you have to be fresh and change with the demands of your business.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
TNA needs to take a page from Hayman and ECW back in the day. don't try and compete with them production wise. just sign and showcase the best wrestling they can and it will gain fans. to this day people flock to shitty ECW reunion shows why because they had amazing matches. they developed half of the top talent for WCW when they made it big. do that, don't try and promote it as WWE lite.
As far as x division not being a draw its because who's in it. go overseas get new exciting guys to bring over and showcase. work with organizations like ROH and NJPW and trade guys back and forth.
TNA has something no one else but the WWE has a national television deal on a major cable network. it would give the ability for guys like the Briscos and others to get major exposure but you can only do it with quality matches and not dumb gimmicks.
I stopped watching wrestling after the fall of ECW and just started recently getting back into it. its clear TNA has some great talent and can really put on good matches they just need to dump the likes of Hogan who are total camera hogs who bring nothing to the table and just promote the best matches they can put on.

also PS. RVD you have been putting on the same match since back in the 90's the only time they haven't felt like the same shit over and over again is when you worked with Lynn and that turned into the same damn match time in and time out and Sabu. Give him up or get him to work on new moves. is anyone really excited or impressed when they see rolling thunder for the millionth time?

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I’m a big fan of a lot of the TNA roster. Wrestlers like Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Bully Ray and many others are the reason I tune in each week. Unfortunately many companies have a problem with people constantly dreaming up so called revolutionary ideas to justify their own job. It happens in TNA and WWE, hell it happens at my work all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
People need to stop talking about casual fans and stop talking about bringing in casual fans. Businesses should not and do not put all of their resources into brining in people who MAY check out their product every blue moon and completely alienate those who check it out regualarly. That's wrestling's business model and that's why wrestling outside of WWE is at a low point.

I have been saying for YEARS That TNA should shoot their show ENTIRELY different then WWE. Get rid of the commentators and ring annoucers who are associated with old promotions and get some new faces in there. Hell have a dis-embodided Barry Scott do the ring introductions for all the stars of Impact. All backstage segments being shot with DSLR's is a good move and I would love if TNA got rid of the hard camera and instead do what NXT did (does?) for its first season and have no hard cam.

There is a lot that can be done and hopefully TNA does actually move forward. Its sad that Hogan/Bischoff have been in the company going on 3 years now and they are JUST NOW making these changes when these changes would have been something I would have done within the first year...but then again that's what happens when you hire people who don't know the product and never watched it a day in their life.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'm telling you the main thing holding them back is not the content, roster, or booking. It is simply that the little crowds and the impact zone make them come off as second rate on TV, and people shut it off. People don't give them a chance because of it, and never get to know their stars. WCW was way bigger to begin with anyway, but Nitro often did a lot of free shows at various locations, just so they could draw enough people to make them appear as a legitimate contender, which helped them build an audience. They need to finagle a way to get a. some excitement from the fans, and b. to make it look like they are on an even playing field w/ wwe, even though they are not.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all i know is this is a huge time for tna, wwe is horrible at the moment

its turned into a kiddie crappy show, there are alot of real wrestling fans who grew up in the 90s or attitude era that are sick of it, and with wwe raw at its worst in years, and tna having 2 hours in primetime every thursday night this is it

i can only speak for myself, but i have not watched many tna shows, when they went live on monday i watched for a couple months, maybe a few more shows on top of that, but it was always all over the place

this will be the first time since the live monday night shows i will give tna a chance, and im sure many other will to, or atleast are aware or will become aware over the summer

this is tnas chance to really grow and get those ratings they always wanted, hardcore tna fans might argue it was better years ago, but this is there chance to get over that 1.0 rating they have been stuck to

·
Registered
858 Posts
TNAs time was 10 years ago when it began.........

It is important that they stay profitable, I don't really care if they are a smaller company than WWE, just as long as their product does fine. Two good wrestling companies make for better overall entertainment, too.

·
Banned
911 Posts
#LiveIMPACT #LiveIMPACT #LiveIMPACT #LiveIMPACT tonight at 8PM ET. Don't forget it!

tweet it now !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts