Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about this in the aftermath of Kaval's release on Smackdown. I have been giving TNA a bunch of **** for the past year (aside from a few occasions of awesome programming), but I have to admit that their midcard is actually fleshed out compared to that of either WWE show.

- The odd couple pairing of EY and OJ
- Those young self-obssessed punks of Gen Me
- The idiot comedy act of Robbie E (as long as he ain't winning all that much)
- The straight shooter X-Division champion, Lethal
- The preimer and most serious act of the midcard, the Motor City Machine Guns
- The Ax Crazy Knockouts Division
- A solid face act in Inc Ink. (their look is cool at least)
- Brother Ray and........ehh
- And other acts on stand-by like Magnus, Kendrick, and Red if they ever have plans for them

Contrast this with WWE, ALL of the midcard heels are cocky and competent frat boys (who by design shouldn't be all that competent) and the faces are smiling crowd kiss-asses with either no character depth or static direction (thanks to the uninspired writing).

I have to say, despite the Immortal storyline (which I personally am not all that high on), at least the TNA midcard is finally being fleshed out, character wise, and has its own distinct mood in contrast to the seriousness and solipism of Immortal. Even if you question the ability of the performers to main event, the midcard is looking mighty interesting with its potential for angles (like MCMGs v. Gen Me earlier).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree, for if you're a fan of the WWE style of mid card....

I was much more a fan when the mid card consisted of the likes of Petey Pump, Christopher Daniels, etc. I don't know it felt more than mid card to me.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
TNA's midcards always been miles better than WWE's in terms of character depth and not being generic. TNA doesn't always follow through with their pushes like WWE does though.

·
Banned
114 Posts
I really like their midcard right now. It's not as dramatic as their main event scene but the wrestling is so much better. Thanks to Williams/AJ.

·
Premium Member
5,918 Posts
- Those young self-obssessed punks of Gen Me
Sure, but can anyone tell me why we have these guys competing in a no.1 contenders match for the X Division title when I don’t even remember them wrestling in singles competition? It’s crazy. They have a division with 5 guys competing for a belt! Surely, it would have been more efficient to open it up and use the X Division title as a TV title, so that they needn’t bring in the other strap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Midcard is great, thats true. But TNA's Uppercard and it's Main Event currently suck. Jeff Hardy is a big FAIL(!) as Champ, 'The Blueprint' Matt Morgan is okay but nobody I want to see in the Main Event. TNA should focus on the thing were they are pretty good at, for example X-Divison or Tag-Teams.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
They have the wrestlers, but the problem is there is no structure at all. Theres supposed to be an established tier system...to where you know what guy is in what division. Instead we have guys like Pope and Joe...what the hell are they? What is Jarrett? Is he a world title contender? Or is he in the tv title division? The roster is one big clusterfuck in that aspect. Back in the day, you knew who was in the US title division in WCW, or the Intercontinental in WWF. The line was clearly drawn with regards to who the mid-carders were, and who the main eventers were.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Though no great shakes, I agree that TNA has a more competitive and arguably more athletic mid-card. Or at the very least, they are been given more to do.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
other than robbie e, yeah i agree, the midcard is preety good

just keep orlando jordan away from any potential rape target and i'll be happy lol

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you do realise that there is a differance between midcard and lower card

a lot of the guys you listed like GenMe and Robbie E are in the lowercard

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
TNA's midcards always been miles better than WWE's in terms of character depth and not being generic.
Totally agree.

Loving TNA's midcard at the moment, It's a brilliant break away from the "averageness" of WWE's. Maybe it's the whole FCW "cookie cutter" formula but yeah, TNA's midcard is stacked with good talent.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you do realise that there is a differance between midcard and lower card

a lot of the guys you listed like GenMe and Robbie E are in the lowercard
In fairness, EVERYBODY above the guys I mentioned are heavily involved with the Immortal Storyline, even if the majority of them aren't competing for the World Title. I've always presumed that midcards should have a distinct flavor from the main event scene.

You may be right, but the line is pretty blurry with everything involving Immortal.

·
Tiger Driver '91
2,809 Posts
What's considered midcard right now?

Is Jarrett/Angle midcard because it's not for the world title like Hardy/Anderson/Morgan/RVD? Are MCMG/Beer Money midcard or upper card? Is Douglas/AJ midcard? Robbie E/Lethal/Kaz/X-division lower card?

It's tough to distinguish aside from the feuds involving belts, but that's refreshing because it speaks to the talent throughout the roster. They have an impressive group of workers, it can't be ignored. Idiotic booking and promoting/marketing, but the talent cannot be denied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts