Wrestling Forum banner

TNA's financial status: Is Panda enough?

3922 Views 22 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  acracker
Reading what Dixie had to say about taking Impact on the road being too expensive to do on a regular basis, this has led me to think whether or not TNA needs more wealthier owners instead of Panda Energy.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on how well-off Panda is, but they seem to be doing enough to keep TNA going, plus with a bit of help from Spike. But suppose someone like a "Ted Turner" or "Donald Trump" type figure came in and sorted out the on the road shows and wages etc. would this be one of the paths TNA needs to make?

Is Dixie Carter the correct person to keep TNA running, or should the reins be given to someone else? Can anyone else do any better than what Dixie has already done?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,068 Posts
For TNA to go on the Road permanantly They would have to blow tons of money before it would become successful enough to the point where they can travel with ease. They need another source or even a loan would do that but what TNA is doing NOW by testing the waters is probably there best bet.

· Registered
553 Posts
TNA are VERY lucky to have the financial backing they do. Nobody is going to enter a declining industry and offer a blank cheque to a company with a bad reputation and a pretty stagnant fanbase.

Is that one of the things they would do if they had the money? Certainly, but the opportunity is unlikely to arise.

· Registered
12,827 Posts
Co-sign Bischoff here, Not only would TNA save money but they can go on road with PPVs

Fan: There's one week until Victory Road with only one official match on the card , There's one month until Wrestlemania. These feuds don't feel like Wrestlemania-worthy feuds.

Comment on that Bischoff you see now why wrestling need less pay per views..

Eric Bichoff: Eric Bischoff, Controversy Definetly need to drop the number of PPV's. The business isn't hot enough to sustain the current number and doing them hurts the long term viability of the category. Worked in the 90s. Not now. Just my personal opinion. It will take balls and vision to change the model.

Facebook Source: http://tinyurl.com/63f5l3v
Piture: http://oi55.tinypic.com/f3w3nl.jpg

· Registered
3,860 Posts
Co-sign Bischoff here, Not only would TNA save money but they can go on road with PPVs
You do know that more people than Bischoff have talked about reducing the PPVs and they haven't been done yet. I don't know what the issue is, are the PPV providers fine with the reportedly poor buyrates with 12 events a year, or is Dixie insistent on keeping them around?

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Reading what Dixie had to say about taking Impact on the road being too expensive to do on a regular basis, this has led me to think whether or not TNA needs more wealthier owners instead of Panda Energy.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on how well-off Panda is, but they seem to be doing enough to keep TNA going, plus with a bit of help from Spike. But suppose someone like a "Ted Turner" or "Donald Trump" type figure came in and sorted out the on the road shows and wages etc. would this be one of the paths TNA needs to make?

Is Dixie Carter the correct person to keep TNA running, or should the reins be given to someone else? Can anyone else do any better than what Dixie has already done?
They've redesigned the impact zone two or three times now, just redesign it every week and without lying try to give off the notion that they are somewhere different

Also, invite some different audiances from around the country or even the world to keep the corwd fresh, like maybe for paid for colledge class trips or prize giveaways in their merchandise

· Banned
4,205 Posts
TNA are VERY lucky to have the financial backing they do. Nobody is going to enter a declining industry and offer a blank cheque to a company with a bad reputation and a pretty stagnant fanbase.

Is that one of the things they would do if they had the money? Certainly, but the opportunity is unlikely to arise.
What exactly is this bad reputation they have? You've just made that up mate.

Also, considering that all live show attendance numbers are up in the US and abroad, how exactly do they have a 'stagnant fanbase'?

The fanbase is there, TNA just need to figure out how to appeal to them on a regular basis.

The reason its a declining industy (though WWE still make record profits, albiet ratings and PPV buyrates are down) is because there is no competition anymore.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
You do know that more people than Bischoff have talked about reducing the PPVs and they haven't been done yet. I don't know what the issue is, are the PPV providers fine with the reportedly poor buyrates with 12 events a year, or is Dixie insistent on keeping them around?
I would imagine that Dixie Carter wouldn't probably go for reducing the number of PPV's for the simple fact that WWE have around the same number of PPV's in a year and whether it is admitted or not Dixie Carter base's how TNA runs around how WWE operates. This is one of the main reasons that TNA is not moving forward at the rate they should have done over the last few years as it seems to have become an obsession to copy WWE in most aspects rather than just concentrate on themselves.

It was that same obsession with all things WWE that led to WCW going backwards as rather than concentrate on what they were doing themselves a lot of the time Eric Bischoff would be too wrapped up in what WWE were doing and announcing their results or mentioning them on tv or concern themselves with the ratings. Much like WCW eventually found out what TNA need to do is just worry about themselves and go back to being the alternative rather than a smaller carbon copy, having six PPV's a year with a monthly special Impact would be a great option which would then allow TNA to maybe use other places for the PPV's.

TNA should just go back to 7 Pay Per Views a year, like WCW and WWE used to do in the early 90s
I've said it many times that they are now too many PPV's and the declining buyrates for them shows it as people just will not buy PPV's as often when there are not enough characters in wrestling anymore to draw people in. Outside of John Cena how many people can actually really draw and because of how many PPV's there now are it is a case of there being around three weeks on average in between PPV's meaning that a lot of feuds do not have enough time to have been built up enough to make people even want to watch the PPV's.

Back in the 90's and early 00's there were people in WWE like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H, Mick Foley, The Hardyz, The Dudleys, Edge and Christian and Vince McMahon who would make you want to watch and buy PPV's. Over in WCW there was Sting, Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, Randy Savage, Goldberg, DDP and Scott Hall who would make you want to buy a WCW PPV and people like Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Jushin Liger and Ultimo Dragon that made you want to watch a WCW PPV.

In that era there were a lot of people who could make you desperate to watch and buy PPV's which is why the business did so well and is probably the best period business wise in wrestling history because of the competition between WWE, WCW and even ECW as well but now there are very few draws in wrestling. You only have to look at the fact that WWE got their best ratings in a long time when The Rock returned to see that there isn't enough interesting people in WWE to make people buy PPV's and in TNA there are even less, the talent is there but they don't have a major draw to boost ratings or buyrates.

Cutting back to maybe six PPV's a year with a monthly special Impact would save money and also generate enough to take their six PPV's on the road to make them stand out and seem special otherwise as i said above their PPV's will just look like a three hour special Impact and in the same arena. Obviously the biggest PPV's currently are Bound For Glory, Lockdown and Slammiversary so maybe add three on top of that and you have a two month period to build feuds and make people want to buy and watch their PPV's.

I don't really know too much about Panda's financial clout but i do know that TNA is meant to no more than a side project for them so i would imagine that Panda wouldn't be overly concerned one way or the other about TNA. What TNA need to do is find ways of saving and generating more money on their own through advertising, sponsorship and maybe by actually selling tickets to their show's rather than apparently giving them away for all of their tapings.

· Squared Circle Gimmick
5,566 Posts
TNA Taping two IMPACTs on the road (from one venue) each month should be the goal right now.

Cut some Talent, cut some House Shows. Whatever it takes.

At this point, I'm fine with just two PPVs on the road a year. A second show is not needed. I'm old school... I like the one show per week deal.

Maybe a second 1 hour show in the future could work...

· Registered
2,059 Posts
I really dont like a 2nd show either. I think Thunder watered WCW down, I think Smackdown watered WWF down, and I think TNA is too watered down already to be adding a 2nd show.

Two PPVs a year on the road is also fine with me, those are the only two I order anyways because they are the one's treated as events, hence the term Pay Per View Event.

The goal should be to get iMPACT! on the road as much as possible in order to grow your viewing audience.

· Registered
553 Posts
What exactly is this bad reputation they have? You've just made that up mate.

Also, considering that all live show attendance numbers are up in the US and abroad, how exactly do they have a 'stagnant fanbase'?

The fanbase is there, TNA just need to figure out how to appeal to them on a regular basis.

The reason its a declining industy (though WWE still make record profits, albiet ratings and PPV buyrates are down) is because there is no competition anymore.
Come on, any time I've seen TNA brought up on a forum, the negative comments come flying. The major wrestling sites tend to treat it as a punchline. I can't even get my WWE-fan cousins to watch a TNA PPV with me.

Ratings in the US are pretty much where they were in early-to-mid 2009 despite the addition of a lot of high-profile people. Can't speak for other countries, but I know in Australia they lost a TV deal for Xplosion and Impact has gone from prime time to almost midnight.

I'm not sure about live attendance; I don't know that anyone has gone to the trouble of compiling them all and contrasting them across the years, and I'd be interested to see if someone has.

The reason there's no competition is that TNA, which has a strong roster, weekly TV show and monthly PPVs, has failed to attract and retain them. What was it the Hogan show peaked at - 1.8 or so? Where did all those people go?

It's also simplistic to blame the decline in popularity of wrestling on competition. There's the rise of UFC, advances in gaming systems, the Internet, exposure of wrestling, a fall in wrestling's place in pop culture, a lack of stars...

Quite simply, I find it very hard to see that someone would want to invest more in TNA than Panda, when Panda has not got a heck of a lot back for their years of investment, and when TNA has not shown much of a capacity to take advantage of opportunites.

· Registered
9,884 Posts
The premise of this thread is dumb, and nobody's said it yet.

It doesn't matter how rich you are. Business 101: Revenue - Expenses = Profit. So if the cost for TNA to run iMPACT on the road is a shit ton of money they don't believe they'll make back, then they don't need to do it. If they did, they'd be losing money every couple of weeks.

Panda Energy does not completely fund TNA. It is obviously a backer though.

· Registered
2,050 Posts
Simple reason why TNA haven't attracted a quality investor: because it provides an awful return. Who in their right mind would pour money into a company with negative cash flow?

Panda has more capital than WWE does.

/thread
I don't know why the hell so many people think this. Last time I checked Panda's revenue was estimated to be close to $20 million. WWE's is $500 million.

· Banned
3,177 Posts
I don't know why the hell so many people think this. Last time I checked Panda's revenue was estimated to be close to $20 million. WWE's is $500 million.
They probably think that because Panda Energy has financing close to $5 billion.

Not sure where the hell you got $20 million from, they spend close to 5 times that just to build and maintain one plant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.